Author Topic: Who knows more?  (Read 2217 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Who knows more?
« on: December 15, 2006, 01:51:55 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

Start up and reorganizing startup routines? There is the free program for this: aspy32 at: http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

Who knows about the security of this versatile program or is it riskware or a spyware tool?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Who knows more?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 05:09:46 PM »
Interesting little program, but I don't think I would have touched it when I was still on windows.

If you read my original response here (which I deleted), it was a little harsh, but I can't find anything about it, no reviews, and a sympathetic, but undocumented home page for the author.

Polonus, how do you find all this stuff? You must have a lot of free time on your hands.  :D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 05:37:29 PM by OrangeCrate »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 10:17:39 PM »
Hi OrangeCrate,

This program is rather an oldie, because it was around in the days of the now obsolete Win 98SE, etc. I  like to get an understanding of what goes around. e.g. how these processes interact. So what are the dependencies, what can be "hoovered" out of the registry, but also what goes on inside the browser scriptwise and interactively (tamper data, bugs, establishing what scripts or interaction come from the serverside of a website (leak monitor etc.).
Now I think this aspy32 is a mighty toolkit even on a tight secured restricted user computer to get to the inner workings, but changes made there can leave you with "duplicates" that are tricky to deal with, so you end up to mention a consequence with two instances of a start up program after booting, and that seems nice if you wanna rename and hijack one, but not for the average user. You should be fully aware what you are doing.
I also grew a little suspicious about the lack of documentation there and the source and the whereabouts of this program. Seems a bit like Resource Hacker but then something with quite another perspective in mind.
Overload of free time? Well I am not in that position yet, but this is a hobby of mine, so it slurps up some good deal of time, but then I think sometimes it is helpful to some, so I share my findings for the benefit of all of us here.

the old pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 10:37:01 PM »
^,

As someone once said, "What I don't know could fill volumes, what I do know, a tiny book."

Thanks for the additional information, I'm always interested in learning something new.

Now, if I could just find the the time to wade through the 10 or so sites I've bookmarked, to learn more about Linux, I could add another page to that tiny book.

:)