Author Topic: VPS updating (big) trouble  (Read 1993 times)

jcr

VPS updating (big) trouble
« on: December 16, 2006, 09:27:39 PM »
Hi,
I'm an happy user of avast! home in france for more than a year. my running version is the last 4.7.892
but automatic VPS updates are failing for 11/23/2006 : 0650-2 ! (valid one is : 0659-1)

this is the last diary text from today :

"SYSTEM  1024  Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Returncode is 0x20000004, dwRes is 20000004."
"SYSTEM  1024  An error has occured while attempting to update. Please check the logs."

I'have try many solutions including manual update from your website, new registration with a new key ... nothing works !

2 cases :
1-All is running quiet well, but at last, no update !
2-An error message appears : "Updating is used by another software, try again later" ...

It seems like something is blocking updatings (virus ?).

Would be nice enough to help me fastly ... ?

Thanks in advance (and apologize my english :-[).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: VPS updating (big) trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 10:12:01 PM »
Searching the board for 20000004 will bring some light...

Basically, check:

1) If the servers.def file is corrupt or 0KB (C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\servers.def).
    You can try and download the servers.def file, http://files.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def and replace the one in the avast setup folder.

2) If your subscription allows the update right now (i.e., if it is not expired).

3) If your firewall settings and allow avast.setup to connect.
    If you're not sure, just turn off your firewall (to be sure the update failure is not due to it).
    Maybe you should 'remove' avast.setup entry, try to update, receiving a new alert from the firewall, allowing it and checking it to remember.

4)  Check your proxy settings into avast!:
     Left click the avast icon > Settings
     Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy
     Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu).
     If it doesn't help, try switching from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).
     You can run proxycfg -d in a DOS window to make your computer connect direct, without proxy. You can run proxycfg -h for help.
The best things in life are free.

Re: VPS updating (big) trouble
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 10:07:39 PM »
Try to repair installation, it may help you