Author Topic: Avast using too much memory?  (Read 16322 times)

Liz

Avast using too much memory?
« on: February 01, 2004, 09:50:35 PM »
Hi all, I am new to Avast (after Norton and McAfee) and it seems to work really well in many ways.  

However, I also use CallWave internet answering machine, and it won't work when Avast is running.  I get a message saying I don't have anymore memory available, so I don't get to hear my messages.  I am using a Dell 350 with only 64 ram memory.  Is there anything I can do, short of adding ram to my computer, to get around this?

Also, when I surf the net for a while my computer runs slower and slower.  Once it nearly froze and it took me a long time to even shut down my computer.  Is there anything I can do about this (I know I can reboot, but apart from that?)

thanks
Liz  :-\

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:Avast using too much memory?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 10:24:23 PM »
Well my dad uses avast and he only has 32 meg of ram and it works fine for him. you could try a memory recovery program like memturbo
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

stevejrc

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 11:01:59 PM »
This memory defragger is good, easy to use and automatic, no complex settings (copy to address bar): http://www.snapfiles.com/get/fastdefrag.html

Try running less applications at a time or add another 64mb RAM at least to meet the minimum requirements of most modern software.

techie101

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 12:53:29 AM »
Liz,

Hello again.  Mac and Steve are unfortunately correct.
Avast does use a bit more memory than some competitors, but as you have found out, does a far superior job.  It uses what it uses depending on what it is doing.

64mb of RAM might be sufficient if you are running bare bones applications.

Review the list of programs in your Start Up file like this:
Start/Run...type in MSCONFIG and enter.
Go to the StartUp tab on the far right and click on it.
The list you see are the programs that run on startup.
Scroll down the list to see if there are programs that you do not need running.  If you can't figure them out, then try to send me a list and I will suggest some that you can "uncheck"  Never remove any of the listed programs.
They can be switched on and off using the "checkbox".

An occasional Diskscan and Defrag never hurts and does speed up the computer a bit.

Didn't I send you a link to a site that can help you increase computer speed?  If not, let me know.

Good luck.
techie

Culpeper

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 03:01:42 AM »
As other programs take priority, Avast dumps a lot of it's memory to "virtual memory" so I don't think it just Avast slowing down your machine.  Unfortunately, though Avast requirement for install is only 32mb, like Techie101 intimated, your current physical memory isn't enough to keep up with various programs you like to use.

Someone let me know but would setting CPU priority to give programs in the foreground priority help out where a machine has low memory resources to begin with?

Also, would making manual adjustments to Window's virtual memory settings help any?

My experience with memory utilities have been mixed.  Seems Windows does an adequate job of managing memory management.

techie101

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 06:34:24 AM »
Liz,

The link I mentioned is :  www.speedguide.net

Culpeper,
Windows does do a good job of managing virtual memory.
Sometimes and with great care, you can adjust the VM for some increase in speed.

I have not tried assigning CPU priority to programs.  It was not something I need to do.  Usually I would "prioritize" programs myself by not starting them at bootup.  Windows seems to take care of the rest fairly well.

I  think that Liz's problem is a combination of virtual memory assignment, program usage, and maybe even a little "leakage".

128mb shoudl fix it.  Only about 50 bucks.  Worth it.

techie

Liz

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004, 04:01:42 AM »
Thank you everybody! Hi techie :)

I defragged and did a thorough disk scan recently.  I checked my system resources: 62% system resources free with just bare bones programs running (if I remember correctly, that's not nearly enough?)

Techie, i went to the site you recommended.  It's way too technical for this non-techie  :P but I think you're right anyway, I need to get some ram.  I have determined that my Callwave works only when I take Avast off the startup menu.  I just talked to Dell and I can get 128 MB for about what you said techie, and one of their technicians will walk me through installing it.  (hah! Wish me luck on that one  :o

Off topic--I want to get a digital camera also, and the sales rep recommended that I max out my ram memory (384 MB ram) instead of just adding 128.  Anybody got any input on that one?  (Keep in mind this is a 6 yr old 350 machine, though I hope to hang onto it as long as possible.  Also, I have the slowest internet connection, 56k)

Should I still run the memory defragger if I'm getting more ram?

Thanks! You guys are great.  
Liz

« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 04:05:59 AM by Liz »

Culpeper

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 05:04:23 AM »
I raised my RAM on my old machine from 128 to 392 by purchasing a couple of generic memory sticks from a vendor on Ebay.  It was really cheap but not high quality stuff like you would get from a vendor like Dell.  Nevertheless, it seems to work fine and I have been using it for well over a year now.  Here is an example of memory  on Ebay.  Always check out the seller's feedback from previous customers before buying anything on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3455878579&category=14916  

« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 05:04:56 AM by Culpeper »

techie101

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 05:48:40 AM »
[quote)I defragged and did a thorough disk scan recently.
Do this once a month or when computer starts running slow or acting up.

I checked my system resources: 62% system resources free with just bare bones programs running (if I remember correctly, that's not nearly enough?)
More is better in this case but 70% is a good number to have although I have run fine with as little as 55%.  Naturally, everthing I could have running....was.  ;D

I have determined that my Callwave works only when I take Avast off the startup menu.
Um...Not sure why Avat would interfere except if it is a resource shortage.

I just talked to Dell and I can get 128 MB for about what you said techie, and one of their technicians will walk me through installing it.
It is really simple.  The hardest part will be getting the cover off the thing.  ::)
Caution:  When handling the memory sticks, wrap a piece of wire around your wrist snugly and then tie it to the metal on the chassis.  This prevents static electricty from you body from blowing out the chips.  

Off topic--I want to get a digital camera also, and the sales rep recommended that I max out my ram memory (384 MB ram) instead of just adding 128.  Anybody got any input on that one?  
Well, I rarely recommend more than 128MB.  That RAM usually is more than enough for general applications.  If you want to boost it a bit more, than 256 is about as high as I would take it.  Any more you are wasting money and the salesman is making it!

Should I still run the memory defragger if I'm getting more ram?
Running Defrag is a necessary preventive measure which should be run on regular intervals.

I purchased mem boards from Crucial Technologies.  I do not recommend buying such things on Ebay.  You can search the web easily and have more than enough vendors to pick from.  Some other reliable vendors are www.oempcworld.com or www.memory.com

As I have said before, I have a 350mhz I use for just about everything with 128mb RAM and it works just fine.

Good luck
techie

Ninjagranny

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2004, 08:15:54 AM »
Ram is a funny old thing.

win 95 win 98 actually slow down if you use over 128 meg of physical as they take more memory use to track the extra ram than tehe ram actually gives them ( know memory leak bug)

Win 98 osr2 / me actually slow down if you use over 256 meg of physical as they take more memory use to track the extra ram than tehe ram actually gives them ( know memory leak bug)

2k home and xp home are quite happy up to 1 gig

winnt4 /2k pro /xp pro can be loaded and loaded with ram - max for winnt 4 is about 1.5 to 2 gig  and for 2khome its about 4 or 6 xphome is problematic and i wouldnt go above 2 gig for it

Virtual memory /swap file .
Best thing to do is switch of virtual memory totally - then reboot then defrag machine ( it will take ages) then re-enable virtual memory and make it permenant ie make the min and max the same . As a rule of thumb  make it twice your base ram or  min 256 meg  but max it at 712 meg . This means that the swap file wont get fragmented . Reason to do this is that windows defrag unlike speedisk wont defrag the swapfile :)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2004, 09:48:27 AM »
I'm sorry, but I really cannot agree to the statement that adding more memory to Win9x slows them down. For running applications, having more memory is always better.

I don't know about any "known memory leak bug", but if you tune the important Win9x settings (which means you limit the maximum size of the Windows Cache and add the "ConservativeSwapFileUsage=1" parameter into system.ini), Windows 9x behave pretty well and fast - no swapping, unless the memory is really full (even for dynamic swap file).
Without the additional tuning, it's not the case, however - maybe that's what you mean?

Culpeper

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2004, 03:37:13 PM »
Thanks igor, that's what I was looking for.

Liz

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2004, 02:00:58 AM »
Hey guys,

This is really helpful, the little part I can understand anyway  :D  If I have to buy memory I'll check out the places you guys recommended, I do think I can get it cheaper than at Dell.  

Is memory defragging at the link Steve gave http://www.snapfiles.com/get/fastdefrag.html
the same kind of defragging that I do with the system tool on my computer (I always do that and disk scan when I backup my computer)?

I actually remember reading an article in a computer magazine several years ago about Win 98 (which is what i have) not running well with more than 128 MB ram.  I couldn't follow the reason very well then or now, though  ::)  Igor, what you are talking about sounds good, but I got lost back at the ranch. lol

I need more information about memory.  Somebody let me know if this is getting too off topic and I'll follow up through private message if I need to.

A friend has 128 MB memory from his old Athlon 800 speed computer.  The thing is (beside the fact that it's been out of the computer for a while and he said he's not sure it still works) that I have to figure out if it will go in my computer (he didn't know that part).  The paperwork on my computer lists 64 MB, 100 MHz SDRAM memory.  Dell says I have 3 dim slots.  The sales dept. said two are taken up with 32 MB ram each.  The tech dept says I have two slots open (which would mean I have 64 MB in one slot).  They are both, I assume, looking at the same information in their computer!??

This one my friend has is one stick of 128 MB SD ram dp133, which he looked up and he says it means 133 MHz...

so the question is, does the MHz matter?  I'm assuming my computer will take a 128 MB stick, since the sales rep said my computer holds a maximum of 384 RAM (which would be 128 in each of the 3 dim slots).  So, if I put in a 128 stick of RAM, should I leave the two 32's in, too, or the 64 MB, depending on who turns out to be right about what's in my computer (or do they have to have the same amount in each slot).

thanks guys,
Liz

Culpeper

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2004, 02:14:56 AM »
Steve's recomendation is a memory management utility that is separate from your disk defrag utility you have been using.  I'm going to look into that web site.  That memory defrag tool look useful.

So, if you have one slot with 64 mb you can add two 128mb sticks for a total of 320mb of memory.

If you have one slot open you can add a single 128mb stick for a total of 192mb of memory.

By looking at the pics on Ebay you can see what a stick of memory looks like and then you can locate the slots on your mother board and tell if you have one or two slots available.

I have been using Win98 for several years and ran with only 128mb with no adverse memory problems so I don't see where Win98 and the amount of memory installed, especially 128mb, is a problem with this operating system.

I'm not a big fanatic on memory speed.  What is important is a stable system with no conflicts during operation.  There are more old machines out there than the new fastest ones so keep in mind that you aren't in a race of some type.

Doesn't matter because your limited to slower SDRAM PC100 or 133 variety.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 02:19:38 AM by Culpeper »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2004, 02:16:38 AM »
Any more you are wasting money and the salesman is making it!
then you think i am a fool for having 8 GB in my Mac G5

so the question is, does the MHz matter?

if you mix the mhz (measurement of speed) All of the ram will run at the lowest freqency

Ex

slot one 64 Mb chip @ 133 mhz

slot two 64 MB chip @ 150 mhz

the ram would run at 133 mhz always at the lowest. so buy the ram at about the same speed as the ram you have.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay