Author Topic: How I Finally Managed to Switch from 1909 to 20H2  (Read 1989 times)

Offline ff-sta

How I Finally Managed to Switch from 1909 to 20H2
« on: March 23, 2021, 05:15:07 PM »
Hello,

On May 11, 2021, the support for 1909 ends, but many people still use it and are stuck to it. I was offered neither 2004 nor 20H2 (although my computer never showed an error message).  :(

I finally found a way to switch from 1909 to 20H2, and I want it to share it with you.  :)

But ATTENTION: At least for me, it took about 5 hours to download and install 20H2, and right after the switch, there came 5 new updates for 20H2. Altogether, the entire procedure took about 7 hours, so do it on a day when you don't need your PC so much.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3611672/stuck-on-windows-10-1909-some-workarounds-on-moving-forward.html

Click on Start, then type in “regedit.exe” and launch the registry editor.

Drill down to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
Right-click on Windows Update and select New, then select Dword (32-bit) Value.
Enter the string of TargetReleaseVersion.
Set its value to 1.
Right-click on Windows Update and select New > String Value.
Name it TargetReleaseVersionInfo.
Set its value to the desired target version. For example, you’ll want to enter 20H2 to trigger detection for, as well as keep your machine on, Windows 10 version 20H2.

Then try to update Windows, and 20H2 should be offered to you.

It is also possible to extend the time in which you can go back to the previous Windows version from 10 days to a maximum of 60 days:  :)

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/increase-10-day-limit-go-back-to-previous-version-windows/

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup

Create a new DWORD value named UninstallWindow if it doesn’t already exist.
Double-click UninstallWindow, select Decimal, and type in the desired value (>=2 to <= 60), and click OK.

The author writes he isn't sure whether the registry value will be deleted when a new feature upodate is installed, so check after the next Windows update whether the registry value is still there. If not, just re-create it.  :o

Good luck and many greetings!

Offline ff-sta

Re: How I Finally Managed to Switch from 1909 to 20H2
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 07:20:53 PM »
Remember, next week on Tuesday (May 11, 2021), the support for 1909 ends. So if you are still on this version, it is time to switch now.

BTW, I am curiuous, who found my tips helpful?

Many greetings,  :)

ff-sta

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: How I Finally Managed to Switch from 1909 to 20H2
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 09:32:54 AM »
BTW, I am curiuous, who found my tips helpful?
I eventually managed to complete the update from 1909 to 20H2 after a lot of web searches and finding same answer before your post. That does not detract from the usefulness of your post, as others may still be helped by it at this late stage.