Author Topic: what does each shield do?  (Read 15641 times)

antskip

what does each shield do?
« on: February 01, 2004, 11:43:07 PM »
I have just installed Avast. I like the email resident shield, but not sure if I need the others: the so-called "p2p shield" and "standard shield". What does each do? How much do they slow a computer down?

techie101

Re:what does each shield do?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 01:46:26 AM »
antskip,

Are you using Avast Home or Pro?

Ok, there are 5 modules within Avast that protect are used to scan email, and protect your computer by running resident (all the time).

The Standard shield runs resident and remains active unless shut down. It constantly watches computer activity to protect any attempt at virus infection. NEEDED

The Outlook Express shield is for OE email scanning. NEEDED if OE installed.

MS Outlook/Exchange is for email scanning for users who have MS OE installed.  NEEDED if MS Outlook or MS Exchange installed.

P2P is for special use programs such as Kazaa, Kazaa Lite, Direct Connect, Bear Share, WinMX, Lime Wire and Bit Torrent programs.  Needed if you use any of the programs in the list.

Internet Messaging allows Avast to protect your im messaging services.  NEEDED if you use things like ICQ, AOL, MSN etc.

techie101

stevejrc

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 01:46:40 AM »
the Avast help from start button > programs > avast, tells you what each does and more..

They shouldnt slow pc down much or anything at all, best to keep secure than be infected! My laptop is only 650mhz, 192 ram and it didnt slow down at all with all the options set to high!

DOH YOU BEAT ME TO IT!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 01:47:29 AM by stevejrc »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 02:43:49 AM »
Internet Messaging allows Avast to protect your im messaging services.  NEEDED if you use things like ICQ, AOL, MSN etc.

techie101

Hi techie,

Maybe you could clarify use of the IM provider.  I occasionally use ICQ, but took out the IM provider (via add-remove/change) because of what might be an incorrect assumption on my part.

Am I correct that the provider is primarily for protection in file-transfer operations, which I never do, and that "ordinary" messages aren't a concern?  Or are there other hazards in the use of ICQ for which I should keep that provider active anyway?

Thanks and best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

antskip

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 03:12:23 AM »
Thank you for all giving your helpful information, especially to "techie101". Just the help I needed to set up avast as intended.

Culpeper

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 03:18:36 AM »
Techie

Are you unintentionally referring to the "internet mail" provider as "outlook express" provider?  My Avast "internet mail" provider is good for multiple email client software.  

techie101

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 08:02:58 AM »
Culpeper,

Certainly not.  I refered to in as "Internet Messaging" but the module is actually named "Instant Messaging".

Outlook Express is separate and distinct.

techie

techie101

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 08:17:54 AM »
Maybe you could clarify use of the IM provider.
To my limited understanding of the IM module, it acts to protect your computer from infected received files.
If we are to interpret this as "file-transer", then your fears are not necessary.

there other hazards in the use of ICQ for which I should keep that provider active anyway?
One must consider that ICQ allows the transmission of html, does it not?  If so, what better place put a virus then in the message body text itself!

I can check further on this in the morning.  My head is burnt tonight and I need to get some sleep.  OK?
I won't forget.  

techie ::)

Culpeper

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 03:26:05 PM »
Culpeper,

Certainly not.  I refered to in as "Internet Messaging" but the module is actually named "Instant Messaging".

techie

Okay, I just don't have a Outlook Express specific provider on my set up.  Is this something new?  I have my program up to date.

My provider is called "internet mail" and is for all my email clients.

Tipton

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 04:17:09 PM »
Culpeper,

techie

Okay, I just don't have a Outlook Express specific provider on my set up.  Is this something new?  I have my program up to date.

My provider is called "internet mail" and is for all my email clients.

Are you talking about the two mail shields listed in the on acces scanner?

Douglas
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 04:18:26 PM by Tipton »

tosbsas

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2004, 07:42:30 PM »
According to my avast file I am up to date. I am on win2k and have only three services of yours showing up. My friend on winxp has got all 5 of them.

What can I do?? (Avast home)

Ruben

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2004, 07:58:49 PM »
there other hazards in the use of ICQ for which I should keep that provider active anyway?
One must consider that ICQ allows the transmission of html, does it not?  If so, what better place put a virus then in the message body text itself!

I can check further on this in the morning.  My head is burnt tonight and I need to get some sleep.  OK?
I won't forget.  

techie ::)

Thanks techie -- the heck with it, I'll just put that provider back in.  I'm not hurting for resources or memory, and I doubt if one more provider is going to add noticeably to shut-down time (which is MUCH better in the latest version, on my XP-Home).

Lots of aspirin and TLC from all of us, of course, you gotta watch those late nights.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Tipton

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2004, 08:53:33 PM »
According to my avast file I am up to date. I am on win2k and have only three services of yours showing up. My friend on winxp has got all 5 of them.

What can I do?? (Avast home)

Ruben

Thats a good question! I am running XP pro here and have all five items listed as well. Which ones are not showing up on your win 2k OS?

Douglas

tosbsas

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2004, 09:03:45 PM »
PSp shield
Im shield

Ruben

Tipton

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2004, 09:10:51 PM »
PSp shield
Im shield

Ruben

Interesting! I have no idea if Avast downloads specific items depending on your operating system. I would think those two shields would be there since alot od people use messenger and P2P on the different OS. Maybe one of the Avast creators could comment!

Douglas