Author Topic: Email Outlook Express  (Read 10179 times)

clanger

Email Outlook Express
« on: February 01, 2004, 11:56:36 PM »
After ploughing through all 85 pages of this forum and looking at everyone entitled email I decided my problem isn't here, so here goes.

I am not getting my email in Outlook Express anymore I am getting it into my Tiscali mailbox.  I would much sooner have Outlook. How can I get the mail to go back to outlook.

All settings are correct and Outlook is my default mail.  What can I do?  I don't now if its avast's fault, everything worked fine until a couple of days ago.

Any suggestions (please make them simple and easy to understand) would be most gratefully received. :(

techie101

Re:Email Outlook Express
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 02:08:52 AM »
After ploughing through all 85 pages of this forum and looking at everyone entitled email I decided my problem isn't here, so here goes.
OH yes it is!!  There have many users having trouble with Tiscali email, Outlook Express and Avast.  It seems to be in the manner that Avast configures OE to accept Tiscali.  
Use the Search function and enter the word "tiscali"
Set it to match "any word".
Only check General and Avast 4 boxes.  The posts will give you some suggestions but work with me directly so that we may find a FINAL solution.

I am not getting my email in Outlook Express anymore I am getting it into my Tiscali mailbox.
Do you mean that it appears in the Tiscali webmail box, but not OE on your computer?

All settings are correct and Outlook is my default mail.
What settings are you referring too?  Did you run the Avast Email Protection Wizard found in the Start Menu/Programs folder for Avast?  If you did, then let me know what the settings are that show for POP3 and SMTP servers.  If you have not run the Wizard, contact Tiscali support or go to the website.
(Look under Support page for something like Internet Settings or Connections).

I don't now if its avast's fault, everything worked fine until a couple of days ago.
Did you make any changes to Avast or your system?
Add any new programs?
Did Avast update prior to the problem?

Please let me know the version and build of Avast?
Also, do you use Avast Pro or Home?
What Operating System are you using?

Thank you.
techie101
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 02:15:29 AM by techie101 »

clanger

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 03:05:50 AM »
I have 2 email accounts 1 which I have entered here I get in OL the other is going into Tiscali webmail not OL.

Yes I ran the wizard found in the start menu and the settings are Pop3. 127.0.0.1, SMTP.127.0.0.1 which I know is right when I read other forum entries.  

Yes I think avast did update, had no problems before then and I did install another program and when I started having problems I installed Norton, but that didn't work properly so I did a restore of my computer to put things back to how they where.  I reinstalled Avast. DVD factory.

I am running Windows XP and am using Avast home
edition.

When I put this in the forum none of the email was going to OL but, suddenly notification that I had a reply came to OL. ???

Culpeper

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 03:07:54 AM »
What was the other program you installed?

clanger

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 03:25:16 AM »
Dvd Factory.  TMPGEnc-2.52, VirtualDubMod, "hijackthis" dont Know what this is don't remember downloading it.  Just got a DVD writer hence the type of programs I been downloading it.

techie101

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 06:45:46 AM »
I have 2 email accounts 1 which I have entered here I get in OL the other is going into Tiscali webmail not OL.
1.  It is very important that you give me the format of the Incoming Mail Server username and the Outgoing Mail Server username of the account that is working and going to OE as it should.
2.  Then, I want you to do the same with the account that does not go into OE.  This is crucial.
NOTE:  You can find this info by going into OE/Tools/Accounts/Mail.  Double click on each of the mail accounts, and record the Incoming and Outgoing server name format in the boxes.  (For Outgoing, click on the Settings button to the bottom right of the dialog box)

I ran the wizard found in the start menu and the settings are Pop3. 127.0.0.1, SMTP.127.0.0.1
Yes, these are correct.  The ones above that I asked for are the key to this.

Yes I think avast did update, had no problems before then and I did install another program and when I started having problems I installed Norton, but that didn't work properly so I did a restore of my computer to put things back to how they where.  I reinstalled Avast. DVD factory.
Never install 2 resident running anti-virus on the same computer. Norton and Avast do not get along at all.  Unless Norton is competely and properly removed, it will cause future problems.  A complete reformat should have restored the registry settings.

Windows XP and am using Avast home
edition.
I need to know what version and build of Avast Home.
Right click on the A ball and go into About Avast.
Info should be on top line.

DO NOT PUT THE SERVER USERNAMES ON THE FORUM.....SEND THAT INFO TO ME VIA IM TO KEEP IT PRIVATE.

The other questions can be answered openly here on the forum.  I have a thing for user's privacy.

techie  ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 06:51:50 AM by techie101 »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 07:18:05 AM »
IS the Tiscali account poping mail using the HTTP protocol? In that case, avast wouldn't be able to protect it. It doesnt support HTTP protocol (only POP or IMAP) for inbound mail fetching...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

techie101

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 07:51:18 AM »
VLK,

From what I have determined from other Tiscali users, Tiscali does use standard POP3 and SMTP protocol.

For the past few weeks, Tiscali and Avast have not worked satisfactorily together.  I have been doing extensive evaluation and research coupled with user input to try and determine where the problem lies.

It originally come out with "Walker" and his Pegasus account trying to access Tiscali.

Thusfar, I have been led to a configuration problem.
As soon as Clanger answers my questions, I may have better insight.  

I had asked Vojtech to look into this, but no word from him yet.

techie

clanger

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 12:33:04 PM »
I have done a search and got rid of all Norton Antivirus files.  I have also got Norton Ghost 2003 does that matter?

On the top line it says On-Access Protection Control.

I have sent the other info as requested.

techie101

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 04:26:08 PM »
clanger,

Noton Ghost is nothing more than a backup utility which runs resident to monitor system changes to create the "image file" of important system settings.

I do not think that it will interfere with Avast.
However, you might get false postives from an Avast scan since it might look at the Norton "image" as a virus.
Not to worry.

techie

Colonel

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2004, 10:08:30 PM »
Hi all,i'm new to this forum as i only just installed avast on my new computer yesterday. I have been deciding which email client to use either outlook or outlook express. I have 3 email accounts and have always used express as i can switch between identities. Outlook has the advantage where i can have all email's appear on outlook.

I tried setting up Outlook Express first but when i go to change identities, Express disappears. I check the task manager and it is not running. I try an open express again and nothing happens. i'm suspecting Avast.

Also I checked my email this morning an i'm sure a worm was attached to one of the emails but avast did not register???

Any help would be appreciated.

techie101

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2004, 10:26:26 PM »
Clanger,

In reviewing the information you sent me via IM, I noticed that on the account that is not working, the Incoming Server Name does not match to the email account that it looks for.
Go back into OE/Tools/Accounts.
Double click on the account that is not working.
Change the Pop3 server name to match the email name.

Use Apply and Ok until all windows are closed.
Shut down OE and reboot system.

Try both accounts to see if they are both working.

ALSO, Do you have Avast installed now?  If you have not re-installed it....DO NOT DO SO UNTIL WE KNOW THAT BOTH ACCOUNTS ARE WORKING.

Let me know.
Thanks
techie

techie101

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2004, 10:31:29 PM »
colonel,

Some things to check.  Open the On Access Protection window by right clicking on the A ball in the tray.  Click on each of the squares along the left side and see if their menu shows that they are running.  There should be 5 of them.

Does the A ball show a red line through it?

Next, go to www.kaspersky.com and run the free online virus scan.  IF a worm is identified, the site should provide instruction to remove it.

Let me know the name of the worm if found so I can check Avast.

Thanks
techie

clanger

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2004, 02:11:35 AM »
It worked loads of email arriving but,  the account is a dial up pay and go, the other one is broadband.  If I receive email on the pay & go account will I be charged for the phone calls? I know it may seem a lame question, but I have got a bit confused ???

My sister has gone broadband and the account is in her husbands name, she called me tonight to say they couldn't open OL at all do you think this could be the same problem?

techie101

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2004, 02:42:37 AM »
It worked loads of email arriving but,  the account is a dial up pay and go,
This is something I cannot answer.  You should contact your telephone company to see how they charge for internet connection calls.  Usually, there isn't any charge unless the phone number that is used to dial into the ISP is long distance or a toll call.  Your ISP should also be able to clarify this for you.

My sister has gone broadband and the account is in her husbands name, she called me tonight to say they couldn't open OL at all do you think this could be the same problem?
It is hard to say, but you have had enough guidance to have her check her OE settings.

By the way, Did you ever get Avast installed?
I would like to know if it is running with the email now.

techie