Author Topic: VERY NEW START! what to do?????  (Read 5517 times)

SKYCOMP

VERY NEW START! what to do?????
« on: February 02, 2004, 12:22:44 AM »
 :)After staying up all night to INSTALL this program, i need help to corrected align its features. I have the free version at the moment. The resident feature              keeps saying "disabled"........What do i do to change this? And also, after receiving the long key word, i copy & pasted it but it left out the remaing numbers after this -
____________Any help for a New Member will be appreciated. Also, 1 more thing, how do i completely unistall Nortons. Its not in my Add/Remove programs but still shows up if i add it to the icon tray for start-up? ???

techie101

Re:VERY NEW START! what to do?????
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 01:22:35 AM »
Skycomp,

Norton causes complete havoc with Avast installation.  I doubt if it will run correctly until we get rid of Norton.

First, you said that it does not appear in the Add/Remove.
Good, but how did you attempt to remove it originally?
You mentioned that you add the icon in the startup tray....why would you do that?  Delete the icon.

Run MSCONFIG by going to Start/Run...type in MSCONFIG.  Open up the Startup tab.  Does an Norton file appear in the list?  Uncheck any boxes where the file path shows Norton.

I will check to see if there are any specific removal instructions for Norton and will post that info soon.

Once we get Norton out of the computer, then we will need to do a "clean" install of Avast.  This unfortunately (but wisely) will require uninstalling Avast, then putting it back in correctly.

Be back in a flash...
techie

techie101

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 01:29:41 AM »
Skycomp,

Another forum member and friend has previously provided instructions for removal of Norton.  Refer to this link and follow technical's instructions carefully.

After you have rebooted the system, then remove Avast using the Uninstall in the Start/Programs/Avast folder.

Reboot again and then reinstall.  A secret here is to have all programs shut down except Systray and Explorer (if installed)

Use Ctl-Alt- then Del to bring up the "Close Program" window.

You should be ok after doing the above.  Take your time and have a copy of Technical's instructions handy.

Good luck,
techie

SKYCOMP

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 02:18:52 AM »
 :-\If this takes all night  i'm up to it! Thanks and i am on the job with this task RIGHT NOW! Thanks for your support! :)

SKYCOMP

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 02:22:19 AM »
WHERE IS THIS LINK PLEASE? ???

SKYCOMP

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 02:48:35 AM »
Im frantically combing these articles and topics with no luck yet. Do you know exactly or about where than link is on how to safely remove Nortons?  I did get the icon out of the tray from its own "options' category, but this program still is running. It flashed up on me earlier. Help is appreciated! ???

Culpeper

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 02:52:59 AM »
scroll down to see user Technical's advice on removing Norton at this link:

http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1687

techie101

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 06:28:51 AM »
Skycomp,

Sorry, I owe  you an apology.  The link was there when I typed up the post.  Don't know what happened.

Glad that Culpeper knows Technical and found the link to the post.

See....we all work together here.

Hope it helps.  If not come back and we will get it straightened out.

techie  ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 07:12:13 AM »
Yo don't really have to go thru all the steps desribed in that article, in most cases it's just sufficient to run RNAV and let it do its job...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

techie101

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 07:45:44 AM »
VLK,
Yes, it may be.  I never did like Norton.  It took only one use to figure that out.  It was uninstalled a long time ago, carefully and completely.

However, I yield to Technical's knowledge in this matter......
as I have to your's in others.

Whatever makes your boat float!   I always say.

If it works....then do it!

techie ;)