Author Topic: ashWebSv.exe sometimes goes crazy with Ashampoo FireWall FREE  (Read 5856 times)

Maxime

ashWebSv.exe sometimes goes crazy with Ashampoo FireWall FREE
« on: December 21, 2006, 07:57:33 PM »
Hi,

I don't know if it has already been mentioned here, but since I've installed a new firewall on my PC, Ashampoo FireWall FREE, the ashWebSv.exe process sometimes goes crazy!

I don't know why and when it happens, but when it does, the CPU usage raises at 100%, Ashampoo monitors avast! (ashWebSv) connections at an alarming rate (several dozens of connections per second), and I can't surf on the internet anymore, unless I kill and restart the ashWebSv.exe process from the process manager/explorer.

Has anyone already reported this bug? Do you think it has something to do with avast!, or is there something wrong with Ashampoo?

Regards from France.
Maxime

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: ashWebSv.exe sometimes goes crazy with Ashampoo FireWall FREE
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 08:03:02 PM »
Ashampoo monitors avast! (ashWebSv) connections at an alarming rate (several dozens of connections per second)
This is normal, I mean, the number of connections. ALL HTTP traffic is being scanned by WebShield.

Sorry, but most probably the problem will be at Ashampoo monitoring dll, etc.
What happens if you disable the firewall?

Comodo firewall has a similar bug few days ago: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25287.msg207204#msg207204
The best things in life are free.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 08:07:11 PM »
 :)  Hi Maxime :

I recall seeing some "negative" posts about Ashampoo "combined" with Avast !?
     Have you tried using this forum's "search" feature, using the "term" "ashampoo"
     to find informative info on the subject !? If not, it would be wise to do so .
     There are lots of other firewalls, some of them free, that do NOT seem to have
     "problems" with Avast .

Maxime

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 08:36:22 PM »
This is normal, I mean, the number of connections. ALL HTTP traffic is being scanned by WebShield.
Yep, but, when ashWebSv.exe works normally, Ashampoo does not monitor a lot of connections from it. It monitors much more connections from the web browser's exe file, not that much from the avast! scanner.

Sorry, but most probably the problem will be at Ashampoo monitoring dll, etc.
What happens if you disable the firewall?
IIRC, disabling the firewall doesn't always help ashWebSv.exe to lower its CPU usage.
I often have to kill and restart it instead.

Comodo firewall has a similar bug few days ago: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25287.msg207204#msg207204
Effectively, it seems to be the same kind of bug.

:)  Hi Maxime :

I recall seeing some "negative" posts about Ashampoo "combined" with Avast !?
     Have you tried using this forum's "search" feature, using the "term" "ashampoo"
     to find informative info on the subject !? If not, it would be wise to do so .
     There are lots of other firewalls, some of them free, that do NOT seem to have
     "problems" with Avast .  
I've already done so :)
But I only found informative posts about Ashampoo, eg. "new firewall: Ashampoo Firewall", "Ashampoo Firewall: has anyone tried it?", etc.
I've found nothing relevant about Ashampoo having a conflict with ashWebSv, that's why I tried to report it as a new bug, as I didn't know if somebody already reported it.
I also tried to search on Ashampoo forums, but found nothing relevant related to avast! Web scanner.

I feel sorry, as I'm unable to give you more detailed information...
But the next time I'll encounter this bug, I'll try to grab more information, maybe it'd help you (or the Ashampoo team) to solve this issue.

Maxime

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 01:22:26 PM »
Well, some new information, as the bug just reappeared a few minutes ago.

Looking to Ashampoo's connection log, when the bug is here, it monitors more than 100 connections per second from ashWebSv, incoming, port 12080, from the local IP address, 127.0.0.1.

If I switch off the firewall, ashWebSv keeps using all the CPU. Hence, the only way to solve this bug is to restart ashWebSv.exe from the task manager.

The firewall has an option to prevent monitoring (and/or logging) LAN or local connections; I made some tests, tried to disable logging and monitoring on local & LAN connections, but it was useless: the bug is still here.

As you think that it's a bug from Ashampoo, I'll try to contact the Ashampoo team to see if they can fix it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 10:35:08 PM by Maxime »

Joey Dalton

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 09:09:55 PM »
Any news about this problem because I have the problem too  :'(

Also: Avast free edition and Ashampoo firewall. Same behavior, same useless attempts to control the high cpu usage.

With me it occurs one, two times a day. I get the impression that it has to do with fast switching between internet sites but I can be mistaken.

I followed the advice of other forum members:
- reinstall Avast
- clean register
- replace suspicious dll of Windows
- turn on Avast logging (no writes during cpu peaks or just before)

Any advice welcome.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 05:29:06 AM »
Also: Avast free edition and Ashampoo firewall. Same behavior, same useless attempts to control the high cpu usage.
The last time this occur the faulty party was Comodo that injected some dll into avast memory space...
Can't Ashampoo team say anything about that?
To create the dump, download and run http://public.avast.com/~vlk/hangrep.exe . In the list of processes select ashWebSv.exe and use the Save button. This generates a file which you can either send to his email address vlk (at) avast.com (if it's smaller than e.g. 1 MB, ZIPed), or upload to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming

Joey Dalton

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 07:55:33 AM »
Thanks again for your advice,

I downloaded the debug tool and will send you a dump asap.
Maybe it is not important but I noticed that during high cpu usage PAUSING web shield has no effect, only TERMINATING.

I also sent a question to the Ashampoo tech-desk.
To be continued  :)

Joey

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 07:55:11 PM »
will send you a dump asap.
To Vlk and not for me...

To be continued  :)
We'll be waiting for...

Joey Dalton

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 07:29:04 PM »
Ok, yesterday, no problem the whole day!
Today the problem occurred again.

I tried to make a dump of Ahswebsv.exe but this failed with error code 13.
All Avast components failed to dump except ashDisp.exe.
I have sent this dump via email.

Thanks very much for this perfect service.
PS: no news from the Ashampoo team (firewall).

Regards,
Joey

timcan

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 11:43:12 PM »

PS: no news from the Ashampoo team (firewall).

Certainly no problem getting spam emails from this company. ::)
IMO comodo,jetico or pctools is a better choice in firewalls.All free.

Joey Dalton

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 06:40:35 PM »
You probably are right.

I removed Ashampoo and installed Zone Alarm Firewall (the free version).
Up till now (*keep fingers crossed*) everything is going smoothly.

Regards,
Joey

Joey Dalton

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 09:28:21 PM »
Some late news; since I removed Ashampoo and installed ZoneAlarm everything is going fine.
Still no news from the Ashampoo team except that the programmers are working hard on a solution.

So you know.
Joey