Author Topic: avast Can't delete virus it finds  (Read 3263 times)

kwiebe

avast Can't delete virus it finds
« on: February 10, 2004, 07:32:57 PM »
I am using Win ME and Outlook Express with avast.  avast successfully detects an incoming virus, but if I try to delete it, avast says it can't find it.  I have to click 'OK' and accept the incoming email message with the virus attachment, then manually delete it.

I have a Win XP machine with OE and avast that does not behave this way.

How to fix this, plus is there any way to set avast to automatically delete incoming viruses?

Thanks in advance.

sedina

Re:avast Can't delete virus it finds
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 10:45:12 AM »
Hi, I think that this is known bug in avast! which is already fixed and after next program update (this or next week) everything will be fine. But you can send me (sedina@asw.cz) a sample of that email and I will check it. Automatic action for incoming virus can be set only in Pro version (in enhanced interface - in virus page). pavels

winnie houston

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 06:41:09 PM »
I just downloaded avast! yesterday.
It re-downloaded and scanned for viruses, about 1,000 emails that I had deleted back in January!
And, it re-downloaded some of the emails 2 or 3 times each! Where did it find these emails and why did it re-download them?
It did find the mydoom virus in some of them, but then avast! would not let me delete these emails.
What is going on?  
If this is a known bug, then why are you allowing people to download the free trial version with a bug in it?
This makes me want to uninstall avast! before I
have even had a chance to really see what it can do.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 07:05:34 PM »
You probably configured your email client to keep the messages on server (and not delete them). It remembers the kept e-mails and don't show/download them anymore.

When you installed avast, the account details changed (because the e-mail client was redirected to avast). So, the client now doesn't recognize the old messages kept on server (they look "new") - so it downloaded them again.

It won't happen again - the messages are "known" now (well, maybe when you uninstall avast and the account will be switched again, I'm not completely sure).