Author Topic: Windows Vista Named “Best of CES”  (Read 6483 times)

drhayden1

Windows Vista Named “Best of CES”
« on: January 12, 2007, 10:18:12 PM »
Today, the Windows Vista™ operating system has been selected by the editors at CNET (http://www.cnet.com) as a winner of the “Best of CES 2007” award in the computers and hardware category at the 2007 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES). Windows Vista, scheduled to be broadly available on Jan. 30, 2007, was honored for enhancements and innovations that provide users with an experience that is easier, safer, more entertaining and better connected, at home or on the go.

“It is a great honor to have Windows Vista declared one of the best products at this year’s CES,” said Mike Sievert, corporate vice president for Windows® Client Marketing at Microsoft Corp. “We are in outstanding company here at the show, and this award is an indication of what customers can expect when they are able to experience Windows Vista for themselves later this month.”

The development of Windows Vista is the result of an unprecedented collaboration between Microsoft and its customers and partners. The product was designed with the help of millions of testers worldwide, including 50 families from seven countries taking part in the Life with Windows Vista program. The feedback gathered from this testing was invaluable to the product development, and Windows Vista is better because of it. In preparation for the Windows Vista launch, thousands of PC manufacturers and system builders across the globe are preparing to deliver new PCs designed to run the new operating system. By Jan. 30, more than 1.5 million devices will have the Works with Windows Vista logo and more than 2,000 products will be Certified for Windows Vista, helping make Internet and networking connections, home entertainment and business tasks faster, easier and more secure. Many of those products are on display at CES, including two Windows Vista-based PCs — the HP TouchSmart PC IQ770 and the ASUS W5Fe SideShow™ Notebook — that were the other two finalists for the Best of CES award in the computers and hardware category.

The Best of CES awards, which are produced and judged by CNET, recognize the best products at 2007 International Consumer Electronics Show in 10 categories, plus a Best of Show.

Winners were chosen from hundreds of submissions and judged on their promise to pioneer a new category, establish an emerging category, or take an existing category to a new level; excite consumers with its style, innovation, usefulness, ease of use and/or capacity to entertain; endow its owner with a certain cachet — the “cool” factor; work readily with other products in a consumer’s life; and make its way into everyday life.

The 10 categories are car tech; cell phones, smart phones and PDAs; computers and hardware; cameras and camcorders; emerging technologies; gaming; home audio; home video; MP3 and portable video; and televisions. A video of the winners showcasing their technologies can be found at http://ces.cnet.com.

The 2007 International Consumer Electronics Show reaches across global markets, connects the industry and enables it to innovate, grow and thrive. It runs Jan. 8–11 at the Las Vegas Convention Center in Las Vegas.

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2007/jan07/01-10BestOfCES07PR.mspx?source=rss&WT.dl=0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows Vista Named “Best of CES”
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 10:48:18 PM »
“Best of CES 2007” award in the computers and hardware category at the 2007 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES).
Well... It deserves but, after all, this is the end of the 2007 year... people won't be able to make anything better, the winner is Vista.
Merchandising, despite it deserves... It does not came on public and it's awarded yet... this is MS strength, like or dislike...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 12:32:53 AM »
How the hell can a piece of software be named best of anything in a Consumer Electronics Show, more so when it is in the 'computers and hardware category.'

I'm sorry but I thing this is BS, to me this is proven by the marketing hype:
The development of Windows Vista is the result of an unprecedented collaboration between Microsoft and its customers and partners. The product was designed with the help of millions of testers worldwide, including 50 families from seven countries taking part in the Life with Windows Vista program.

This is total BS, it is all about selling product, God I think I'm going to be sick, pass the bucket.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drhayden1

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 12:52:13 AM »
i somewhat agree with you davidr-i only posted it not agreeing with it-after your done-pass the bucket ::)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 12:55:18 AM by drhayden1 »

Negeltu

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 08:33:58 AM »
Most consumer electronic devices do not work without the software/firmware.  So...why not?   ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 09:31:11 AM by Negeltu »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 03:05:46 PM »
What is the use of the software with out hardware, no use at all.

That same hardware can do as much with many other OS software, OS X, Linux versions, etc. and I don't see them featured. So no it shouldn't get an award at a Consumer Electronics Show unless they had a software category, but most certainly not win the 'computers and hardware' category. It isn't a Computer nor is it Hardware, it is that simple.

I don't know if the Apple iPhone (law suit pending ;D ) featured at CES but the software behind that is what makes it work and without that the iPhone would be nothing more than an attractive paper weight.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Negeltu

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 04:17:47 PM »
Computers and hardware... Does that mean Computer and hardware "related"?  Or is it that explicit?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 04:29:29 PM »
I don't know I don't set the criteria.

It just seems so strange for a piece of software getting and award 'best of CES' in a category that the consumer would feel should go to something 'electronic' computer or hardware (printer, scanner, etc.) ?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 06:43:37 PM »
David, seeing as how CES and Macworld were happening at the same time I highly doubt Apples new stuff was there (appletv and "iPhone"). But their computers (Mac Pro, iMac etc) most likely were there
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 08:02:41 PM »
Now if OS X was available for non-mac systems, perhaps it might have won an award ;D ;D and not Vista.

Just a little tug of your leg.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 03:19:17 PM »
Now if OS X was available for non-mac systems, perhaps it might have won an award ;D ;D and not Vista.

Just a little tug of your leg.
;D  What else won awards at CES?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 06:54:23 PM »
Now if OS X was available for non-mac systems, perhaps it might have won an award   and not Vista.
Just watch and see, it will still happen.    ;D ;D ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

drhayden1