Author Topic: If Google is not your friend?  (Read 2092 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
If Google is not your friend?
« on: December 22, 2006, 02:30:20 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

Google sits on your search results, and your searchg results may help you get convicted. See what happened to this man that tried to hack his boss's network:
http://www.platinax.co.uk/news/20-12-2006/google-search-convicts-hacker/
If this is wider explained by "Big Search" the sub-poena's will start to fly around.
If rightly so, so be it. But what if it is unjustly held against you. Anyway it raises gigantic privacy concerns. What do you do privately to keep Google's poking nose out?

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

drhayden1

Re: If Google is not your friend?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 02:35:45 PM »
nice information about privacy concerns polonus...makes you wonder who is watching you :o ::)
happy holidays my friend ;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: If Google is not your friend?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 02:40:39 PM »
As has been said many times, if what you are searching for is legal I guess you have little to fear.

It’s probable in this instance that service records from Alpha Computer Service were used, which showed user behaviour and searches on their network.

<snip>

Overall, it continues to raise tensions that ISP’s are collecting far too much personally-identifiable data, which may work against individual privacy concerns.
So possibly not all can be levelled at google.

If companies have a suspicion of a criminal activity and take it to the police, yes they are going to use the law to obtain records to support the action.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security