Author Topic: Installing application update never finishes  (Read 1401 times)

Offline iup1994

Installing application update never finishes
« on: March 26, 2021, 10:57:11 PM »
Hello,  I discovered my Avast Premium Security had an incomplete application update running and it never finishes.  I was installing Adobe Acrobat DC and it hung at the very end and their support asked if my antivirus had an incomplete update and that is how I discovered the problem with Avast.  Interestingly my Windows update is trying to update and is hung as well. 

The Adobe Acrobat actually installed successfully
I have manually stopped and disabled the Windows update service to try to eliminate one factor
I tried to repair the Avast App but it reports " setup is already running "

Need help please to see what next step would be to get Avast fixed

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Installing application update never finishes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 11:12:47 PM »
https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Repair-Antivirus/

Offline iup1994

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 11:22:28 PM »
https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Repair-Antivirus/

Thank you, I tried following that guide before this forum post and mistakenly picked "modify", per instructions now I selected "uninstall" but still receive the same response "setup is already running"

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 12:23:29 AM »
Restarting your system may well end the uninstall function, but it could also leave you with a partial/corrupt installation.  This in itself is a problem and you may need to do a clean reinstall.

Clean Reinstall -
1. - Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, avastclear.exe https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD. Make a note of the steps required or print the page.
2. - Download the latest Avast off-line installation file for your Avast Program (see https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=255221.0) and save to your HDD.

Follow the instructions in the link in 1.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline iup1994

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 01:16:21 AM »
Restarting your system may well end the uninstall function, but it could also leave you with a partial/corrupt installation.  This in itself is a problem and you may need to do a clean reinstall.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 01:21:23 AM by iup1994 »

Offline iup1994

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 01:21:49 AM »
Thanks for the help.  Interestingly I  had rebooted and shutdown a few down without it helping the situation.  I restarted again holding down shift key, selecting troubleshoot-advanced options-startup settings-restart.  The laptop restarted and asked for my bitlocker key, which i was about to lookup and the laptop suddenly powered off.  I thought I ran out of battery so I plugged it in, hit the power button, logged in and BAM, Avast flashed its update successful window and I verified the install completed.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 03:38:59 AM »
Good news, saves a bit of hassle.
I wonder if bitlocker drive encryption (I have never used it) gets involved or slows/interrupts the uninstall function. Or just a battery condition as you mentioned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security