Author Topic: Unwelcome install  (Read 1502 times)

Offline petef4

Unwelcome install
« on: March 29, 2021, 09:22:25 PM »
I have just updated my Avast Antivirus and was unpleasantly surprised that the Avast Browser had reappeared some years after I had previously disabled it. The following are faults that I normally associate with malware.
  • I was not asked if I wanted the browser, I thought I was just doing a normal update of the engine
  • It was made my default browser without asking
  • When I rebooted it started without asking, having set itself to auto start
  • Uninstall did not work because Avast forgot to include the uninstalller program
Fortunately your website provided a standalone uninstaller which did the trick.

I have used and recommended Avast Antivirus for many years. This was really disappointing.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Unwelcome install
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 09:29:07 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Ekaterina Bayushkina

• Avast Browser QA Team
  • Avast team
  • Avast Browser QA Team
Re: Unwelcome install
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 02:22:46 PM »
Hello, petef4

Unfortunately what we found so far is that there can be a problem connected to Windows update & AV update at the same time. Most likely it looks that our browser was installed and disabled for some of the users in the past and that it just jumped out in front of them after the updates.

It should be fixed now, and never happen again

Thank you!
Avast Browser QA Team