Author Topic: "Scan Archive Files" Disabled  (Read 4259 times)

gail22

"Scan Archive Files" Disabled
« on: December 25, 2006, 09:09:38 PM »
I'm a relatively new user of Avast personal anti-virus. 

Why can't I scan "archive files" - is that a feature of only the paid version?  Also, is there anyway to schedule scans with the free version instead of having to run them manually?

Many thanks for any help.

Gail

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
Re: "Scan Archive Files" Disabled
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 10:24:25 PM »
Hello and Welcome to the forums :)

Why can't I scan "archive files" - is that a feature of only the paid version?
Both versions of avast! can scan archive files.  Archive scanning can be enabled when starting the scan - after choosing the scan sensitivity, check the option "Scan archive files" in the scan options window ;)

Also, is there anyway to schedule scans with the free version instead of having to run them manually?
Well, scheduling scans is only available in the Pro version of the program.
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 12:36:34 AM »
You can scan archives as XMAS said, you just have to select them (see image, I assume you are using the Silver Panel skin), personally I think the risk from archives is low.

Archive (zip, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned.

Check this work around out - HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans avast! Home Version!

The major disadvantage with the task scheduler trick of using ashquick.exe is, it will scan every file of the hdd, partition, folder or file that you set it to scan; even those files not considered a potential threat, this can take a long time. It is possible to add certain folders to the exclusions list for say your media files, etc. This could leave you vulnerable if that folder got infected as it wouldn't be scanned by the on-demand scanner as you have excluded it.
The Pro version gives a lot more flexibility and the scan would follow the settings and exclusions, etc. of the regular scan.
With the different levels of protection of and the fall back of the Standard Shield, I find the need for daily scheduled scans lessened. I prefer to do a manual scan with my regular weekly maintenance tasks.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gail22

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 05:03:40 AM »
Many, many thanks, XMAS, and DavidR.  I really appreciate the info you gave me. :)

Peace,
Gail

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 11:40:18 AM »
Many, many thanks, XMAS, and DavidR.  I really appreciate the info you gave me. :)
You are welcome  :)
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 02:50:38 PM »

Glad we could help Gail, welcome to the forums.

Stick around and browse the forums, especially the sticky topics at the top of each of the forums. They provide a wealth of information to help you get the best from avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gail22

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 06:58:35 PM »
Thank you, again!  And thank you for the heads up on reading the sticky topics, DavidR; I will do that.

With appreciation,
Gail