Author Topic: can avast! affect my browser? ...New to computers...  (Read 4648 times)

roxylou59

can avast! affect my browser? ...New to computers...
« on: December 25, 2006, 04:54:36 AM »
I have a new computer, a compaq presario  sr191onx... and also am really green when it comes to the use of it. I decided not to use the Norton security system they installed in the computer, because someone recommended avast! home, and also recommened some other free protection which I have since forgotten... My first question is, I keep getting this message from Netzero, my isp, that "due to lack of activity I will be disconnected..." and it gives me 45 seconds or so to click "NO!" . But I am browsing here and there, not inactive at all. I am using DIAL-UP. Perhaps avast doesn't work so well with dial up? So I wondered if avast is confusing my computer... and not letting it know I am surfing... I know it sounds dumb, but I don't know  how this all works. Can anyone tell me if there is something I can do to wake up my browser, and if it is a feature of avast....
Also, any ideas on good spyware or other security programs I can download to compliment avast? Thanks for any help I can get!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: can avast! affect my browser? ...New to computers...
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 05:03:24 AM »
I decided not to use the Norton security system they installed in the computer
1) Remove Symantec through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Symantec removal tool following the three steps defined in the SymNRT tool info or here.
3) Boot.
4) Install avast! Boot.
5) See what you get.

Perhaps avast doesn't work so well with dial up?
No, it works perfectly with dial-up...

If you can't connect, check into the firewall settings, if the following programs are allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Don't need rights to connect:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)

By the way, which firewall do you use?
The best things in life are free.

mauserme

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 06:14:15 AM »
My first question is, I keep getting this message from Netzero, my isp, that "due to lack of activity I will be disconnected..." and it gives me 45 seconds or so to click "NO!" .
I think that's just the nature of the free and lower cost ISPs.  I used to experience the same with Juno.  They have limited capacity to handle all the traffic so if you take a moment to sneeze or blink your eyes you risk getting booted.

tls

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 06:43:40 PM »
Avast! is great with dial-up, much better than Norton when it comes to updates, among other things.  I have had no problems with avast and my dial-up connection.

I highly recommend following Tech's advice for complete removal of Norton/Symantec, even if it seems to have been uninstalled successfully.  Any remaining parts tend to cause problems sooner or later, even if they are not apparent at first.

As far as other security programs, I suggest reading some posts in the forums, maybe using the search function.  Some of the more experienced avast! users (as well as some less experienced users like myself) include the security programs they use in their signatures, in addition to recommending compatible programs.  The best security programs for you will depend on your computer, your surfing habits, other software you may have, etc.

And if you need help, this is a good place to find it.

roxylou59

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 02:14:42 AM »
Thanks for all the help. Someone asked me what kind of firewall protection I have, and I honestly don't know. I kind of jumped into this computer world thinking it was a little less involved... so I don't even really know what a firewall is, yet. I managed to clean out my temperary files and cookies, which seems to have helped... except my computer has forgotten all my passwords and sign-on names... and other stuff. I just want to research different interests and sell some things on, say, eBay. I store and sort and edit a lot of photos too. But now netzero keeps trying to shut me down!
Do I need a firewall? I had something called adaware for a while, but during one of my 2 "system restores" I lost it.  :-[
well, thanks for whatever help you all have for this newcomer to the scene!

tls

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 03:12:43 AM »
(from Microsoft Windows "Help and Support Center")
"A firewall helps protect your computer by preventing unauthorized users from gaining access to it through a network or the Internet....
A firewall is different from antivirus software, but the two of them work together to help protect your computer. You might say that a firewall guards the windows and doors against strangers or unwanted programs trying to get in, while an antivirus program protects against viruses or other security threats that can try to sneak in through the front door."

This may not be the best explanation, but it should give you a general idea.  A firewall really is a necessity.  What is your operating system?  WinXP firewall is not bad; it hides your ports from attackers from outside.  But it is not perfect, and it does not have outbound protection.  So any malware that gets past it (because it is not perfect) can connect to the internet to download more malware or send out your personal information (like user names and passwords).

A number of avast users like Comodo firewall.  Other firewalls recommended by some avast users are ZoneAlarm Free, Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall, and Sygate Personal Firewall.