Author Topic: avast + norton AV  (Read 4094 times)

yairno

avast + norton AV
« on: December 27, 2006, 10:06:15 AM »
Can I install the avast! and Norton Anti Virus on the same PC ?are there any known problems ?

Negeltu

Re: avast + norton AV
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 10:38:23 AM »
You should not do it.  It is probable you will encounter conflicts.  I don't believe avast will allow it's resident provider to run if it detects Norton on the system. 

yairno

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 10:49:41 AM »
OK, thank you very much for the quick reply.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 03:22:57 PM »
There will almost certainly be conflicts, NAV doesn't coexist well with other AVs. if you try to install avast on a system that has NAV on it already avast will most certainly detect it and disable some of its elements to avoid any conflict which might lock up your system.

Even after NAV is uninstalled it has been notorious for remnants left behind, which can cause issues.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
You can also download SymNRT, a Norton uninstall tool that uninstalls all Norton 2004/2005/2006 products.

This would ensure all of NAV was removed and avast could run without problem, the one thing you would most likely notice is things speed up as reported by many who have made the move to avast!

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

diediedie

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 04:36:45 AM »
hi!
DavidR,
i just uninstalled kaspersky and installed avast!...
After launching avast! tells me kav is still running, but i can't find any trace of it. Do you know of any similar programs that would work for kav?
thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 11:56:34 AM »
After launching avast! tells me kav is still running, but i can't find any trace of it. Do you know of any similar programs that would work for kav?
On Kaspersky site there is an uninstall tool for complete removing it. I think you must download and run it.
Traces of Kaspersky (and its privacy modules) will avoid avast well-function  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 02:19:22 PM »

Run this utility to remove all traces of Kaspersky from the registry:
http://www.ice-kav.com/downloads/util/KAV_Registry_Clean.zip
ICE is a US distributor for Kaspersky.
Also read more about KAV Removal Tools http://www.ice-kav.com/utilities.php

This question should really have been a new topic as it doesn't relate to NAV and avast, but it is done now, just for the future.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lingbao

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 03:41:10 AM »
I installed BitDefender,but I can't remove it completely.
And I installed Avast.Nom they are peaceful.but I'm afraid they'll conflict.
Could you help me to remove BD?

Thank you!!

Spyros

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 12:42:40 PM »
I installed BitDefender,but I can't remove it completely.
And I installed Avast.Nom they are peaceful.but I'm afraid they'll conflict.
Could you help me to remove BD?

Thank you!!

See if this helps: http://www.bitdefender.com/site/view/support-home-home-office.html