Author Topic: AVAST not in system tray  (Read 2501 times)

lord_maxthor

AVAST not in system tray
« on: August 02, 2006, 12:32:58 AM »
HI, just installed AVAST 4 Home edition. In the product info it says that it has a real time protection but after installing AVAST and restarting the computer I cannot see the AVAST real time protection in the system tray. Also tried looking at the msconfig no AVAST. I would like to know how to enable the real time protection?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: AVAST not in system tray
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 01:25:34 AM »
Firstly the real-time protection isn't in msconfig (you will find them in the services), only the entry for the systray icon/s ashDisp.exe, this is the interface to the on-access resident scanners. What avast! processes are running in the Task Manager, they begin with ash and asw ?

avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut).

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

winsleuth

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 12:01:55 AM »
Previous author and/or to moderators. I just acquired this probllm of no icons anymore, after having them for 5 months or so, in my system tray. Reading the forum I see that Ashdisp.exe is the required executable needed in memory to get them back. I launched this and have them showing now. I need to know how they are normally started on reboot? I dont see an entry for them in Services nor under Startups or any other of the common places to add something to memory. I used XP itself to check and also the really great utility WinPatrol that I own. No where do I see even traces of ashdisp. My PC has been a little off lately and I may have a low level infection but I run Avast and keep it updated (lately it is sometimes twice a day, amazing). I also run the latest Spy Sweeper, 5.2 and current definitions as well as Zone Alarm Pro 5.5.732? or whatever is most current. Any one out there have any ideas??? I understand that I still have antivirus protection even though the systray icons are not there (true, yes???) so I should be virus free. I have rarely had to disable it lately but just for a few minutes. I searched and dont see anything current enough so I am creating this fresh entry. (sorry for my typos). I understand XP very well so hit me with whatever ideas you have. Thanks.

Winsleuth

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 12:11:08 AM »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 01:16:22 AM »
Check WinPatrol's settings there is a start-up monitor of sorts (sorry I don't know the name, I don't use WinPatrol) and this is likely to be what is killing the ashDisp.exe entry.

CounterSpy has in the past falsely detected ashDisp.exe as Lop but that should have long ago been corrected, it should also have at least notified you of it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security