Author Topic: Auto detect proxy server settings  (Read 10676 times)

Till

Auto detect proxy server settings
« on: February 02, 2004, 09:43:27 AM »
To connect to the Internet, I sometimes use a proxy server (in company) an sometimes not (at home). So I use the settings of Internet Explorer to switch the proxy on and of.
In Avast I use "Auto detect (use Internet Explorer settings)". If I press the button "Test Connection" Avast says "Ok", but if I want to update, Avast doesn't get a connection to the internet.
If I specify the proxy server in Avast, everything works. But Avast forgets the proxy server setting, when I switch it off at home - and Internet Explorer remembers the settings - because of that I would like to use Internet Explorer settings.

Any idea?

cwyap

Re:Auto detect proxy server settings
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 08:01:50 AM »
Hi!

I have the same problem as well. When you manually put in the proxy, it works fine, but if you set Avast to automatically detect IE settings, it cannot update even though Testing the connection returns a positive result. How can I solve this?

Thank you.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 08:44:34 AM »
What is the proxy software your company is using?
Does it require authorization?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

cwyap

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 08:52:24 AM »
I don't know what type of proxy server the service provider is using.

However, when I key it in manually into Avast (proxy.starhub.net.sg:8080), the update works.

When I set it to automatically use IE's settings, and I press the "Test Connection" button, it says it is ok. But upon updating, it times out and an error message saying that "...xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx... server is down..." where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is an IP address of Avast's server.

No authorisation required.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 08:53:20 AM by cwyap »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 09:33:32 AM »
What OS are you using?
If it's NT/2K/XP, can you try stoping the "avast4 iavs control service" and invoking the update again (with the proxy set to use IE settings).

To stop the service, open the Control Panel, select Administrative Tools, and click Services.

This assumes you're logged on under an administrative account.

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 09:34:05 AM by Vlk »

cwyap

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 09:42:21 AM »
I'm using XP Home SP1.

I did as you said and it worked!!!

However, after restarting the service again, it did not work.

cwyap

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 11:49:11 AM »
Will there be an update or is there something I can set to fix the problem?

Thanks!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 12:21:26 PM »
If you only log on to the machine as an administrator (or member of that group), you can just set this service to start as Manual instead of Automatic -- i.e. keep it turned off.

Its only purpose is to enable proper updating in case a user with non-admin rights is logged on to the machine and invoking an update...

Vlk

cwyap

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 04:37:11 PM »
Thank you very much. I shall give it a shot. Hopefully, it will be fixed in a future version.  :)

cwyap

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 08:19:29 AM »
If you only log on to the machine as an administrator (or member of that group), you can just set this service to start as Manual instead of Automatic -- i.e. keep it turned off.

Its only purpose is to enable proper updating in case a user with non-admin rights is logged on to the machine and invoking an update...

Vlk

Hi Vlk,

Now that I've disabled the iavs control service, will Avast4 still automatically perform updates? It seems to have stopped doing that.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 09:38:20 AM »
The auto updates should of course continue working.
These are handled by the main "avast Antivirus" service.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2004, 12:05:52 PM »

Vlk

Ok, Vlk, if you only login as an administrator... If not, you cannot do it.
For me, with proxy, the manual setting works and avast! remember them but automatic not  :'( Anyway, the user must set avast! proxy options just one time.
The best things in life are free.

cwyap

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2004, 02:54:19 PM »

Ok, Vlk, if you only login as an administrator... If not, you cannot do it.
For me, with proxy, the manual setting works and avast! remember them but automatic not  :'( Anyway, the user must set avast! proxy options just one time.

I agree with Technical. I see the same problem too. For me, the laptop sometimes uses a few providers (I share my laptop with a few of my family who have their own accounts) which means the user has to change the manual proxy each time. Oh well.... I'm sure it'll be fixed in the future.

cwyap

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2004, 03:28:25 AM »
I have some new information from looking at the logs in my firewall. It appears that when Avast is set to pick up the proxy settings from IE, it does not do so. It makes the access through port 80 even though the port specified in IE could be 8081.

Hope this helps.