Author Topic: Can not get Avast! to load up from desktop or other....  (Read 2646 times)

ardin

Can not get Avast! to load up from desktop or other....
« on: December 29, 2006, 02:39:18 AM »
I have used Avast for 2 or so years now and loved it.. and have had it updated to the newest verson for quite a while...  but now I'm having a serious issue with it...   I was in a site when i got some kind of virus that avast detected but did not give me an option to deleat or move like it usually does, instead it just made its allert sound and poped up the virus detection line.   I closed off all my programs that were open and waited for the options box to pop up but it gave me nothing...  so I attempted to open avast manually and try to scan my computer, but nothing opened... its like it started to open but I got nothing on my desktop screen.  After trying to open it twice I notused that my computer was running increadibly slow, and since this is a new computer with a 2 gig processor and ass loads of ram, I new somehting was up...  so I poped up my task manager and looked at my processes...  I was using 100% of processor speed while I was doing nothing and the program "ashAvast.exe"  was running multiple times and sucking up all my processor speed.  I realised that was Avast off the bat, so I did a "close program tree"  on both and my processor speed went back to normal.   I have found that I can get Avast to start up, but only in "Safe Mode" as Administrater, and it detects no viruses. I even tryed a boot scan and still got nothing.

I really like using Avast and have had no problems with it till now....  I really need help.   I'm using a Dell computer running with Windows XP pro, and all the trimmings in my computer.  I also am only using WINMX P2P and have had no problems from it and Avast, and have ZoneAlarm firewall and as well have had not issues with the two clashin before either...  I don't usually consider myself computer illiterate but in this case, I'm stumped...  Also.. I have tryed a compleat uninstall and reinstall of Avast, and even tryed to install older versons and update the program and I get the same results as well.  PLEASE HELP!!!   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can not get Avast! to load up from desktop or other....
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 02:53:32 AM »
I have used Avast for 2 or so years now and loved it.. and have had it updated to the newest verson for quite a while...  but now I'm having a serious issue with it...   I was in a site when i got some kind of virus that avast detected but did not give me an option to deleat or move like it usually does, instead it just made its allert sound and poped up the virus detection line.
It seems the WebShield alert (before the file is really saved to your computer) and just the 'Close connection' buttom there...

The program "ashAvast.exe"  was running multiple times and sucking up all my processor speed.  I realised that was Avast off the bat, so I did a "close program tree"  on both and my processor speed went back to normal.   I have found that I can get Avast to start up, but only in "Safe Mode" as Administrater, and it detects no viruses. I even tryed a boot scan and still got nothing.
ashavast.exe is the splash screen that starts avast antivirus on-demmand processes.

I have ZoneAlarm firewall
I've seen this problem with Comodo firewall... I'm not using ZA anymore for a long time.

Can't you schedule a boot-time scanning?
Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning.
Select for scanning archives.
Boot.
The best things in life are free.

ardin

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 04:50:38 AM »
I have been able to get it to start in safe mode, but not on my normal desktop.  Its just really annoying to have to get it to start up in safe mode everytime I need to do a virus scan.  I have also done a boot scan, but again.. I have to start it in safe mode first, and still rather annoying...  I've never before had any problems with my fire wall and avast, so I'm kinda doubting that is of any problem.  not ruleing it out.. but am doubting it.  I just cant get the dang proggy to start at all in any way shape or from on my desktop other than in safe mode as the administrator.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 01:20:47 PM »
I have been able to get it to start in safe mode
So, I would deeply suggest you uninstall both avast and ZA if you can, booting at safe mode.
avast command for uninstalling, if you can't start Control Panel, would be:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe "C:\Program files\Alwil Software\avast4\Setup\setiface.dll",RunSetup
The best things in life are free.