Author Topic: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (4.7.932)  (Read 125405 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (4.7.925)
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2007, 01:12:24 AM »
The problem appears to be only if it's been sitting there scanning the entire machine, which it was, and then it finds the file and I get the hang...
For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demmand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be carefull, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.

Hmmm...I confused myself. I choose to scan from the simple user interface if that's what you mean by 'On Demand'...
Yes, this is on-demand scanning. The opposite, on-access scanning, is done by Standard Shield provider, the resident guard of avast.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2007, 01:27:06 AM »
Hmmm...I confused myself. I choose to scan from the simple user interface if that's what you mean by 'On Demand'...

That is on-demand, you initiated the scan as opposed to on-access, when something access a file avast scans it automatically (depending on standard shield settings).

Key loggers can be used for evil and good, it is difficult for an AV to determine which. You may want to consider proactive action rather than find out after they have done it by using a key logger. There are many parental controls out there this is just one. Naomi Parental Control software (freeware) http://www.radiance.m6.net/
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Go Pack Go

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2007, 04:18:59 AM »
So what have those who tested the new avast! found about the startup time and the system resources, or there any noticable changes?

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
I can't say there is very noticeable change at startup, but yes - my pc seems to be ready for work a bit faster (at HIGH resident protection level)  ;)

Jem

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2007, 09:39:58 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. I'm running the scan as I write so too early to say if that's the only scanning problem I have (I'll report back). If the work around works, then fine, but I'm curious as to why the hang occurs. Bear in mind that when I scan the offending file directly, by using the context menu scan or by selecting the folder specifically in the scan interface, the hang does not occur, so why does it only happen when it 'reaches' that file after scanning the rest of the machine? I can't help feeling that this is a more general scanning 'issue', perhaps related to other 'hang scenarios' that others have reported in this forum, and not specifically to do with the Keylogger app itself...??...let me know your thoughts on that.

Other than that, I have some questions which I'd appreciate some views on to help me decide whether I should use this free product rather than renew my NOD32 licence for another year:

1) Why is there no scanning available for Azureus in P2P?
2) What level of risk would you associate with script scanning? As far as I can see that is the only significant difference between the free version and the paid version. As yet I'm not convinced that is worth paying the licence fee for - on it's own. Am I missing something?

I am a home user, 3 machines on a very secure wireless network with the principal machine (this one) hard wired to the router (firewalled). I run a fast (8Mbps) broadband connection and all machines use XP / SP2 with IE7. I additionally use Javacools SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D for browser 'innoculation' against downloadable 'nasties' and I clean the machine of all applets, temp files, cookies etc etc on startup using CCleaner. Using the default IE7 security settings, is script blocking (or the lack of it) a significant risk? I should add that the users here are me (savvy), my wife (never goes anywhere she shouldn't!!), my teenage daughter (clicks on any link that anyone sends her...!!) and my 11 year old daughter who just sends her mates emails and plays simple games.

BTW, thanks for the link above relating to parental controls - I'll check that out.

Great forum...

Cheers,
Jeremy

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2007, 12:42:06 PM »
I scan the offending file directly, by using the context menu scan or by selecting the folder specifically in the scan interface, the hang does not occur, so why does it only happen when it 'reaches' that file after scanning the rest of the machine? I can't help feeling that this is a more general scanning 'issue', perhaps related to other 'hang scenarios' that others have reported in this forum, and not specifically to do with the Keylogger app itself...??...let me know your thoughts on that.
It is strange indeed... the Windows Explorer extension scanner will scan in deepest mode...  ::)

1) Why is there no scanning available for Azureus in P2P?
I'm not sure, but maybe Azureus use a different transference protocol that cannot be handled by avast.
Anyway, the Standard Shield will scan the downloaded files.

2) As far as I can see that is the only significant difference between the free version and the paid version. As yet I'm not convinced that is worth paying the licence fee for - on it's own. Am I missing something?
Other differences are the scheduling and the automated actions features, Enhanced Interface, push updates, etc.

Using the default IE7 security settings, is script blocking (or the lack of it) a significant risk?
I think yes... Script blocker of Firefox will give you more control and safety.

My teenage daughter (clicks on any link that anyone sends her...!!)
That's your main concern... for these situations, script scanning could be very good.

por100pre1

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2007, 10:22:43 PM »
Everything working fine here. The beta is faster in my old machine running Win XP SP2.

geminilion

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2007, 04:41:19 PM »
Hi all the world!, I'm a new member of this community, i'm writing from Italy and i'm not very expert to use of !avast; My version is 4.7, Home Edition -free- VPS file just to 3 january (file 0701-0). I bought my first pc  in june 2005, now I have xp home edition (licensed) SP2. Last year my antivirus was McAfee, but i spent 50 Euro for it... and i think it is not very good for international community that must use pc for to go their ideas in all world.  You think i'm preparate to use this new beta version? My !Avast was downloaded in 15 december 2006...What do you think? I'm terrorised to make very confusion in my programms and in my mind....  ???geminilion@gmail.com

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2007, 09:40:46 PM »
You think i'm preparate to use this new beta version?
The beta is very stable. It's working fine.
But you'll need to install the last stable version and then update to beta.
There is not a beta 'setup' file to install it from the beggining.

My !Avast was downloaded in 15 december 2006...What do you think? I'm terrorised to make very confusion in my programms and in my mind.... 
Use the downloaded file to install, then download the file Vlk posted in the first post of this thread and update to beta.

Oh, remove your email from forum if you don't like spam in your mailbox!

Congratulations for the last World Cup  ;)

joooo

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2007, 11:31:09 PM »
Great this version beta 4.7 925.
It's working very fine and is speed.
Congratulations!!!!!!
Thanks.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2007, 02:51:09 AM »
geminilion,
Welcome to the forum.
Unless you like a lot of SPAM, I suggest that you remove your scannable e-mail address from your post.
Just a bit of friendly advice.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2007, 03:03:14 AM »
Oh, goodie, i just restored disk image hehe. Thanks to Gigabytes Xpress Recovery it took only 9 minutes ;D Worked fine now, probably because you fixed it in between lol
Sorry for a quick off-topic question
RejZoR, I have a Gigabyte MB can u give me a quick rundown on the Xpress Recovery function. Thanks  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2007, 03:50:58 PM »
This time a bit later but I'm on BETA too now. I can say, what the full system scan (standart sensitivity with archives on) is improved even with my old Duron. This time it was ~ 30 minutes instead of 40  ;)

Standart scan + archives: 18.8 GB; 32 minutes. Not bad, as it 10 minutes faster than with older version  ;) PS. I should add that this BETA is very stable, I can't find anything bad  ;D ;D ;D

WuLFe

« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2007, 02:39:24 AM »
Hmmm... The beta is working fine, yes, and a tad bit faster too..

but the bad news is, i think there's something wrong with the password protection coz i cant seem to get it to work! a red message box would appear telling me that

"avast!: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"

one more thing that bothers me, is i think there's something wrong with the Web Shield as well.. it's got to do with the way its handling packers.. before, in 4.7.892, it always caught the baddies while i was testing it in the web.. now, it couldn't detect the double-packed eicar test file.. but it caught the single-packed eicar test file..

any comments? have you also experienced these? or have i installed it incorrectly?

the other providers seem to be working as well as before, only faster..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2007, 03:02:55 AM »
Windows can protect some files that are in use, you don't say what the file name or locations is ?

The eicar test has certain constraints on how it is used, I don't know if multi packers falls into that category. You also don't say what packers have been used ?
Is that from the eicar test site or something cobbled up elsewhere ?

However, something that has used multi packers also has to unpack it before it would effectively be harmful (in the case of a real virus), so the risk element is low files that are unpacked become newly created and as such would be scanned by standard shield, if it got past the web shield.

It would also depend on your web shield settings as it may not scan all files.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security