Author Topic: Update Problem  (Read 8574 times)

sberry

Update Problem
« on: February 02, 2004, 12:28:23 PM »
Hi!

I have a strange Problem: when i try to manually update the Avast, appear the windows that says that it is cheking for updates.

It downloads the file "servers.def.stamp" and then nothing else happens in that window.

I uninstalled the avast and installed again. The problem comes up again.
(I think that there is a temporary file on my PC that i should delete for resolving my problem....)

Is there anyone that can help me?
thanks!

whocares

Re:Update Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 05:44:58 PM »
Hi,
that probably means you have the newest updates

what are the version numbers/builds and dates of database and program in the status window/about avast ?

sberry

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 09:37:05 PM »
Well...it says:

Avast! Ver 4.1 Home edition:
Version: Jan2004(4.1.432)

VPS File:
Data di Compilazione (Compilation data): 21.01.2004
Version File: 0401-0

(I have the italian Version of the program)

This problem come up some days ago. It is not a problem of the new version of the avast because on other machines the Auto Update works correctly.
I think that somewere there is a file (may be the servers.def.stamp) that interfere with the update process.

When I try to update manually, the Bar under "Dawnloading File: Servers.def.stamp" says 100% but the avast has not accessede the internet. It seems that it has loaded the file locally.
Then, nothing happens in that window (for more than 10 minutes). I can only press "cancel".

I tried to update the VPS manually by downloading the last version relased on 29.01.2004. When i try to update it says that i am trying to update the avast with an older version of the VPS.

It is strange.

mantis

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 10:17:04 AM »
Hi I've got exactly the same problem, but with english version.

When downloading lastest VPS file the top bar stays at 100% and nothing happens.

log file reports that it tried to find servers.def but had error (0x000004C7).

Try downloading manually from internet and installing but it says is older than installed version.  It isn't my VPS file is 041-8, latest is 041-10.  Have reinstalled program and it still doesn't work.  Used to work perfectly until last week.

Any ideas?

Thanks

sberry

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 01:16:29 AM »
I worked a lot to understand my problem....finally I discovered that the Avast is in conflict with my firewall.

The avast has the permission to acces the internet trough the firewall but during the update it doesn't work!
And if i try to update the avast by downloading the updater it doesn't work if my firewall is running. Strange!

I must shut down the firewall, update the avast and run again the firewall....

elliott492

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 09:15:43 PM »
HI
I have an update problem too.  It's supposed to automatically update but then I get an error pop up saying update problem.  I deleted and downloaded again and tried to update but still doesn't work.  My latest version is 0310-6.
Please help.

kubecj

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 01:45:50 PM »
Hi elliott,

Please, download whole installer setupeng.exe and upgrade.

MHJ

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 02:40:56 PM »
All these problems shown above are 99 % firewall problems.
You should get a better firewall  ;D

I personally recommend Sygate Personal Firewall Free/Pro or ZoneAlarm Plus/Pro

http://smb.sygate.com/
http://www.zonelabs.com/

Bye!

elliott492

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 06:29:00 PM »
Great, it worked.  Thanks alot.

Hi elliott,

Please, download whole installer setupeng.exe and upgrade.