Author Topic: Yahoo Messenger, AIM, IE, Active X Problems  (Read 6112 times)

sallyatticum

Yahoo Messenger, AIM, IE, Active X Problems
« on: December 31, 2006, 07:18:27 PM »
I have read through several posts dealing with these questions, but have not found any solutions. Some say they are not related to Avast, but they only appeared immediately after I installed Avast Pro.

I use Windows XP SP2 and Internet Explorer 7 and Mozilla Firefox. I also have windows Defender and Spysweeper on my system, but the problems remain even when they are disabled. I uninstalled Windows Defender but the problems remained. I reinstalled it. I have not uninstalled spysweeper. i have read that it is compatible with avast.

Before installing Avast Professional, I uninstalled all Symantec, Nortons programs with add/remove programs. It is no longer on my system. I don't see any more of their programs or any uninstall feature.

Since installing Avast Professional, when I try to use yahoo messenger and AIM and also with many other programs, I get the following error message:

an activex control on this page might be unsafe to interact with other parts of the page. do you want to allow this interaction? Y/N   ( I tried to italicize this text, but the button won't work--another new problem)

And regardless of whether I choose yes or no, I am unable to see any text in any windows.  I uninstalled Avast and the problem was corrected with AIM, but although the error message went away, the problem remained with Yahooo Messenger. I was unable to see any text in any window.

I reinstalled avast and disabled protection for Instant messenging, with the provider option, but this did not correct the problem. I continued to receive the error message above and could not see any text in the window.

I have checked my scripts in internet explorer and they are enabled.

Additionally, since installing Avast Professional, when I try to navigate from one web page to another, the links often do not work. I can click them, but the same page returns, rather than navigating to the new page. When I right click the link, I do not even get the option of going to a new tab or page. This did not correct itself after uninstalling Avast.

Additionally, when I go to some web pages, they are blank white pages. I unistalled and reinstalled explorer 7 and the problem remained.

Sometimes links don't appear on IE that appear on Firefox.. for instance, on Avast's home page, the support dropdown menu. Additionally, when I log in to this forum with Firefox, the new page does not appear, but is blank. These are new problems, not present before I installed Avast Professional.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

tls

Re: Yahoo Messenger, AIM, IE, Active X Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 12:19:44 AM »
It might help to follow these instructions (link below, see reply #1) for complete removal of Symantec/Norton.  Normal uninstalling usually works if you will be re-installing Norton, but things left behind by Norton tend to cause (many) problems with any other AV you might install, although some of those problems may not be apparent at first.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25658.0

I can't say for sure the problems you are experiencing are actually the result of what Norton left behind, but removing things known to cause problems could help. 

neal62

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 12:42:12 AM »
This is a duplicate post. See HERE . The help your going to get is from the forum. We are all volunteers, not experts in all problems that come into this forum. If your looking for expert help perhaps you should try Yahoo support and ask them about this if you already haven't done so.  8) Sometimes in alot of cases an educated guess about a problem solves it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 12:44:24 AM by neal63 »

sallyatticum

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 01:56:39 AM »
Thank you. Still working on it. Yahoo hasn't responded. The posted suggestion they have is to enable scripting in IE security, but that was already enabled.

sallyatticum

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 07:28:00 AM »
Thank you. for your responses. See the other post for how I resolved this issue.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 03:26:59 PM »
Please, resize your avatar...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 03:28:40 PM »
I'm glad that you have found a resolution to the problem.

On the subject of resolution/s, brings to mind A Happy New Year.

Further on resolutions, you might want to change your avatar for another, resize or use the one Tech adjusted. We try to keep avatars around 100 X 100 for those who don't have high resolution monitors.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sallyatticum

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 04:28:28 PM »
Thanks for the info re: the avatar, David since tech didn't explain that and there is nothing that I could find saying what size the avatar is supposed to be. Obviously I was in a state of distress while posting yesterday.  :-X
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 04:35:53 PM by sallyatticum »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 05:33:13 PM »
Your welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 06:06:31 PM »
There is nothing that I could find saying what size the avatar is supposed to be.
Sorry, 100x100 pixels would be good...
Anyway, this is a non-sense option of the forum board... The forum software should block big avatars... but it's not updated I suppose.
SimpleMachines are on 1.1 version already  :-\
The best things in life are free.

sallyatticum

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 06:30:56 PM »
Eh... I just picked a picture so I could find my posts quickly. I wasn't particularly attached to it..  ;)