Author Topic: Yahoo Messenger, AIM, IE 7, ACtive X controls problems...  (Read 8800 times)

sallyatticum

Yahoo Messenger, AIM, IE 7, ACtive X controls problems...
« on: December 31, 2006, 07:27:38 PM »
I have read through several posts dealing with these questions, but have not found any solutions. Some say they are not related to Avast, but they only appeared immediately after I installed Avast Pro.

I use Windows XP SP2 and Internet Explorer 7 and Mozilla Firefox. I also have windows Defender and Spysweeper on my system, but the problems remain even when they are disabled. I uninstalled Windows Defender but the problems remained. I reinstalled it. I have not uninstalled spysweeper. i have read that it is compatible with avast.

Before installing Avast Professional, I uninstalled all Symantec, Nortons programs with add/remove programs. It is no longer on my system. I don't see any more of their programs or any uninstall feature.

Since installing Avast Professional, when I try to use yahoo messenger and AIM and also with many other programs, I get the following error message:

an activex control on this page might be unsafe to interact with other parts of the page. do you want to allow this interaction? Y/N   ( I tried to italicize this text, but the button won't work--another new problem)

And regardless of whether I choose yes or no, I am unable to see any text in any windows.  I uninstalled Avast and the problem was corrected with AIM, but although the error message went away, the problem remained with Yahooo Messenger. I was unable to see any text in any window.

I reinstalled avast and disabled protection for Instant messenging, with the provider option, but this did not correct the problem. I continued to receive the error message above and could not see any text in the window.

I have checked my scripts in internet explorer and they are enabled.

Additionally, since installing Avast Professional, when I try to navigate from one web page to another, the links often do not work. I can click them, but the same page returns, rather than navigating to the new page. When I right click the link, I do not even get the option of going to a new tab or page. This did not correct itself after uninstalling Avast.

Additionally, when I go to some web pages, they are blank white pages. I unistalled and reinstalled explorer 7 and the problem remained.

Sometimes links don't appear on IE that appear on Firefox.. for instance, on Avast's home page, the support dropdown menu. Additionally, when I log in to this forum with Firefox, the new page does not appear, but is blank. These are new problems, not present before I installed Avast Professional.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Yahoo Messenger, AIM, IE 7, ACtive X controls problems...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 07:42:42 PM »
Norton can be quiet stuborn at times. Use the info in the following link to make sure norton is completely removed.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23445.0

Please post back the results and if you are still having problems.

edited to add link :-[
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 07:48:06 PM by oldman »

sallyatticum

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 08:14:29 PM »
Okay... there is a new weird problem... I downloaded all the things that were suggested and ran each in the order suggested, rebooted, etc.. then went to search for the symantec and nortons, as suggested.... and my Search is gone! It just opens a blank window with the little search companion and drop down menus. No text... and if I click search from the drop down menu, a blank page opens.. ??? 

I went to system restore in my system tools, thinking I would just restore to before I downloaded avast.. and it won't work. It won't even open up the window.

I ran a virus check when I first got avast, and only 2 viruses were detected. I wasn't having problems before.. this avast was a Christmas gift (thanks a lot!)

sallyatticum

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 08:17:19 PM »
I went to system restore again.. this time the window opened.. but again it is blank... there must be a script problem somewhere?? I am not computer savvy enough to figure it out.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 08:36:02 PM »
For system restore help

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html

About 6th from the bottom is the link for a blank system restore page.

Also from microsoft on several blank screens including search and system restore

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831430&sd=RMVP

sallyatticum

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 09:44:37 PM »
Ok, I got the restore and search windows back using the link you sent. 

I did a system restore. Avast is now gone. The active x control error message went away.

But I still have the problem with the the blank windows on yahoo messenger and the links not working.

neal62

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 09:56:32 PM »
Now you might try uninstalling Yahoo Messenger and then re-installing it. Might solve that blank windows you are seeing.  :)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 10:01:02 PM »
Yes follow the advice in neal63's post.

Not sure how you want to procede. Do you want to use avast?

sallyatticum

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 10:13:56 PM »
Well, I reinstalled messenger and the problem is still there--blank winodws..

I don't know... If it is going to cause problems, no I don't want the program and I want my friend to get his money back.

But I want the problems that it caused to be fixed ..

Is there no support available for this particular problem? Only members of the forum guessing at what might fix it?
I appreciate your help. I just would like to know if there is anyone that is familiar with the problem. I have seen other posts from people that have had the problem, but no specific fix.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 02:35:17 AM »
Sallyatticum,
Just another member's opinion, here, so not much support, perhaps.
It rather sounds to me that the situation was caused by malware rather than the Avast program. I've had similar browser problems in the past.
Can you post the names of the viruses that were found.
I've not had a FP with Avast yet, but some have. Hope you quarantined them rather than deleting them. I had to reinstall Windows last year, after similar sorts of problems. Was using AVG then, didn't really know what I was doing, think I deleted some important files. A registry clean after that made the problem worse. My PC shop couldn't even fix it. Hopefully you won't have to reinstall, but it might pay to back up your files, in case.

Took me a long time to get my PC running right after uninstalling Norton. Also I've read quite a few references to exploits spreading via AIM and (I think) yahoo messenger...don't remember where, 'coz I don't use them.

What version of Spy Sweeper is installed? If its 5.2.3.2120, Try "googling" for problems with this. From what I've read, it's a bit of a monster.
Sorry these are just general tips (and not especially well informed either) but it might point you toward a useful direction. Personally I have a lot of confidence in Avast, haven't picked up anything significant since running it.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

sallyatticum

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 07:24:06 AM »
Hi, all.. Thanks so much for your responses.  I finally got it straightened out, and I am not entirely sure what fixed the problems, but here is what I did... 

I uninstalled avast.

I uninstalled Nortons, using the uninstall method that was posted here.

I uninstalled Spy Sweeper (which I'd had for a long time and don't think it was the problem, but I wanted to start from scratch).

I uninstalled Windows Defender.

I raised the windows firewall.

I ran PC Cillin and removed some adware.

I uninstalled PC Cillin.

I went to safe mode.

I ran Lavasoft Ad-Aware in safe mode and removed some adware.

I reinstalled and ran Avast in safe mode.

When I re-booted in normal mode, everything was fine.. the blank windows were gone, the IM text showed up and the links in IE were working again. 

(btw, I don't remember which 2 trojan viruses I removed.. since I uninstalled avast, they are no longer in the vault.. they were deleted).

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 10:22:34 AM »
Glad you stuck it out and got it sorted out.
'specially good of you to have posted your solution, it may help others in the same boat.

It could have been malware or just avast scrapping with the remnants of norton.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 03:31:33 PM »
(btw, I don't remember which 2 trojan viruses I removed.. since I uninstalled avast, they are no longer in the vault.. they were deleted).
When you uninstall avast, the Chest (Quarentine or Vault) is deleted also...
I've asked for a warning about this on the uninstalling process, but Alwil did not listened me...
The best things in life are free.