Author Topic: Firefox hijacker bdiwn.dll  (Read 2653 times)

gator2345

Firefox hijacker bdiwn.dll
« on: January 10, 2007, 06:11:52 AM »
I would like to get a file added to the definitions database.  I have been fighting a Firefox browser hijack for several months now.  I have run Avast, AdAware, and Spybot.  Avast did a good job of flagging the Trojans that the hijacker added but nothing would flag the source of the problem. 

The only way I found the offender was by looking at files that were changed in the last 24 hours.  I could not delete the file in window safe mode.  I was forced to boot with a windows CD and delete from there.

If this is not the appropriate place to post, please let me know.

I have a copy of the dll that I can email in. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Firefox hijacker bdiwn.dll
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 02:55:33 PM »
If you are not getting a virus warning that you believe is a new, undetected virus or malware then if you can zip and password protect ('virus', will do) the suspect file and send it to virus @ avast.com (no spaces), or send from the chest (after adding it to the User Files section of the chest).
Give a brief outline of the problem (possibly a link to this thread), the fact that you believe it to be a either a new, undetected virus or malware and include the password in the body of the email. Some info on the avast version and VPS number (see about avast {right click avast icon}) will also help.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner
Or Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive. You can't do this with the file in the chest, you will need to move it out.

Edit a google search for the bdiwn.dll file name returns zero hits which in itself is suspicious.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 02:57:36 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gator2345

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 04:13:53 PM »
I forgot to mention that I ran bdiwn.dll and nwidb.ini (anagram) in google and got zero hits.  I submitted the dll to totalvirus.com and got a hit with 25% of the scanners.  I have sent the email you requested.

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 05:43:46 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.

What did the scanners that detected it call it (if you recall) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security