Author Topic: Problems with Swedish translation  (Read 7911 times)

Harteex

Problems with Swedish translation
« on: January 03, 2007, 04:06:43 AM »
Hello everyone

I've just noticed quite a few problems with the Swedish translation.
The biggest problem is that in Swedish many things are written as one word, for example "virus database" is "virusdatabas" in Swedish. But the translator doesn't seem to translate like that...

Here are some things while your scanning:
"Nuvarande version av virus databas" - virus and databas should be one word
"Skanna arkiv filer" - "Skanna arkiverade filer" is much better here (arkiverade = archived)
"Nuvarande skanner status" - "Nuvarande skannerstatus"

When I hover over the application in the taskbar, it's text is "avast! Enkelt användar gränsnitt"... användar and gränsnitt should always be written as one word.

A few other things to change "Lokal enheter" -> "Lokala enheter" ("lokal" needs to be in plural)

And so on... I guess there are a lot more things to fix. Should I send more problems on email to someone or just make another big post here? ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Problems with Swedish translation
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 10:03:25 AM »
Thanks for the message.
If it's OK for you, I suggest to try the public betaversion of the upcoming update:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25697.0

I am not saying that all the things you mentioned are corrected there yet (they are not), but the Swedish translation is improved.

And yes, I think you can post the list of problems here ;)

Harteex

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 10:30:15 PM »
ok, I have installed the beta version. I see some improvements, but more are needed to ensure a quality translation.

First of all, it still says användar gränssnitt everywhere... It should be written as one word: användargränssnitt

When you start the scanner the help comes up. Except fixing användargränssnitt here, it is also written with each word starting with uppercase.. not really a big deal, but at least in Windows terminology, in Swedish you never uppcase like that. So.. "Enkelt Användar Gränssnitt" -> "Enkelt användargränssnitt"

Further on the same help screen:
"hård diskar" -> "hårddiskar" (write together)
"flyttbart medium" -> "flyttbara medium" (plural)
"egen definerade" -> "egendefinierade" (write together & wrong spelling)
"skannings metod" -> "skanningsmetod" (write together)
"packade" -> "komprimerade" (much more professional feeling with that word, means compressed, and is the windows word for zip files, this should be changed everywhere to get a consistent translation)
"zip filer" -> "zipfiler" (write together)
"på "Play" knappen." -> "på knappen "Play"." (different, better, word order)
"test rapport" -> "testrapport" (write together)
"innehålls menyn" -> "innehållsmenyn"

Ok so I clicked on the first topic in the help... here I see "Lokala Hårddiskar" in bold and italic... but in the actual application it is not called that, so it should be changed to "Lokala enheter" (lowercase on e in enheter too).
We also have to change the sentence a bit: "klicka på Lokala Hårddiskar ikonen" -> "klicka på ikonen för Lokala enheter"

Oh and almost forgot the header on that page, it's not good.....
"Skannings områdes val" -> "Val av skanningsområde" (word order & write together)

Back to the file content...
"flyttbart medium" -> "flyttbara medium" (plural)
The other one in bold and italic should be "Flyttbara medium" (initial uppercase good, but not on medium)
As the one above, we change the sentance a bit here too:
"klicka på Flyttbart Medium ikonen" -> "klicka på ikonen för Flyttbara medium"

Lets move down to the last bold and italic entry:
"Användar definerade mappar" -> "Användardefinierade mappar" (spelling & write together)
As the other ones, change the sentence:
"klicka på Användar definerade mappar ikonen" -> "klicka på ikonen för Användardefinierade mappar"

I'll leave it to that for the time being, some things doesn't make sense, but I'll need to see the english version to fix that.
Also the description of the buttons seems a bit wrong, maybe the icons have changed since this was translated.

Ok, lets move down to the last part of the page, "Tex" -> "T.ex."
"flyttbart medium" -> "flyttbara medium"
And here is the last part, with a number of fixes:
"klicka på både Lokala enheter och Flyttbara medium."

Sooo that was one page...
I'll post the other ones later... I think I'll just write the corrected text instead, that's easier.

Let's move on to the application now instead.
When I click on the harddrive icon it says "Lokal enheter", change to "Lokala enheter"
Also, in the little box that comes up, change the header "Standard sökning" -> "Standardsökning"
And "packade" -> "komprimerade"

When I hover over the CD icon: "Flyttbart medium" -> "Flyttbara medium"

Also in the main window it says "Startad" (started) on the chosen items... it hasen't really started yet, so lets change that to "På" (on)
Also in the main window "flyttbart medium" -> "flyttbara medium"

Hovering over the folder icon "Mapp val" -> "Mappval"

And many many more things about everywhere.
It would be easier if I had access to the translation files I think...
I don't have time to continue right now, but I'll be back.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 07:27:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum Harteex, and thanks for the feedback! Nice to see another swedish user in here  :)

I also didn't like the swedish translation, so I'm sitting here now with the files that Igor sended me. I have corrected the mistakes you mention, but I could find the "help-window" text you mention, maybe they are in another file, I must ask Igor about that.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Harteex

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 09:11:13 PM »
I just can't stand bad translations ;)

For a pretty long time I've used an antivirus protection which I call Common Sense ;)
But I thought it was time to combine it with something more, and avast seems really good.

Anyway..
The help window is the window that comes up when you start the scanner.
It's called CheckListSimple.chm and is located in Avast4\SWEDISH\HELP.

If you are going through the entire translation, the most common mistakes are:
* Write together (hård diskar -> hårddiskar)
* Spelling on the word definierade (definerade -> definierade)
* No consistent translation, same terms/words are translated different on different locations such as Lokala enheter is sometimes translated Lokala hårddiskar

There are so many things to correct so if you send me the translation files I can help a bit easier. But feel free to go through the files and check on the above common stuff.

My email is harteex at gmail dot com.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 09:42:41 PM »
I just can't stand bad translations ;)
Me too  :P
I hate bad (or automatic) translation of software... I'd rather use English than a bad translation...
Yesterday I saw 'clipboard' translated as 'mouse' in Portuguese :(
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
The helps (CheckListSimple.chm and help.chm - though the later one is not translated at all) are indeed in a different file, not included in the package I sent (to Bluesman).
I can provide the sources for the help as well, of course...

Harteex

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 08:18:56 PM »
Has igor sent the help to Bluesman?

It would be nice if you Bluesman could be coordinator for the Swedish translation, so I could send things directly to you.
I'm already coordinator for the Swedish translation of another project.

I'll probably set up a virtual machine soon for some different reasons, and I think I'll install the english version of Avast then. It will make it easier for me to fix bad translations.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 08:49:12 PM »
I've received (from Bluesman) the corrected user interface package and the introductory help for the Simple User Interface. (The main help is currently in English, it hasn't been translated.)

The new avast! update is already compiled and should be available in a few hours... so, I suggest to check it when it's out. Thanks!

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 01:53:48 PM »
Howdy all!

My corrected files can now be seen in the new official release 4.7.936

The translation is not perfect, but much better then before, and know contains 200-300 less splitted words (or as we say in swedish - särskrivningar...), and I also have written some sentences in other words, so it sounds better in swedish.

I have already seen errors in my translations, the hard thing when you translate something, is that it is hard to exactly know WHERE the translation will appear in the program. In one place, XXXX sounds better, but in another place YYYY sounds better.

But now we have something to start with, and if you find something that is wrong (or can be said in other words that I have choosen), or spelling mistakes, please post them here in this thread, or send them to my mail pnorin at gmail dot com

I have been little quiet in this thread, but I have been in hospital but I am now back :)

And now some words in swedish (if some of you swedish users don't understand english) :
------------------------------------------------
Ja, nu är min svenska översättning för avast! klar, och finns i den nyligen släppta versionen 4.7.936.

Översättningen är mycket bättre än den förra, men långt ifrån perfekt. Men jag har fixat 2-300 särskrivningar, och även ändrat meningsuppbyggnaden på vissa saker i programmet. Problemet med översättningar är att det är himla svårt att veta exakt var i programmet den översatta texten kommer att återfinnas. Men nu har vi en version att utgå ifrån, hittar ni nåt som är fel, stavfel, eller om ni har förslag på bättre ordval, posta i denna tråd, eller skicka mig ett mail pnorin at gmail dot com

Jag har varit lite osynlig i denna tråd, men har legat på sjukhus, men är nu tillbaks :)

Harteex

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 03:17:28 AM »
Bluesman, you've done a great work!

I have some more corrections but I will send you an email.

Another thing maybe not directly related to the translation but since igor reads here I thought I'd write it here.
When you install avast, and chose components, it would be great to be able to see a description of them (before you install them).

EDIT:
There are two problems I think I'll write here.
Look at this image: http://harteex.kicks-ass.net/avast.png
The green arrow points to an empty space where a word should be that is missing. I have a feeling it might be too large and is pushed to the next line which isn't visible.
In case the translation files Bluesman have are resource files (rc) or similiar I guess he could try to increase the size of the textfield a little.
The red arrows point to a character that isn't displayed properly. It seems the character 'Å' (lowercase: 'å') isn't existing in that font?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 03:49:56 AM by Harteex »

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 11:05:30 AM »
Bluesman, you've done a great work!

I have some more corrections but I will send you an email.

Thanks for the kind words and the feedback! I have answered your mail!

We wait for Igor to drop in, into this thread :) But I have checked what you wrote in your post, and it is the same here with the things you mention.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 11:10:31 AM by Bluesman »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 01:00:56 PM »
When you install avast, and chose components, it would be great to be able to see a description of them (before you install them).

What exactly do you mean?

The green arrow points to an empty space where a word should be that is missing. I have a feeling it might be too large and is pushed to the next line which isn't visible.
In case the translation files Bluesman have are resource files (rc) or similiar I guess he could try to increase the size of the textfield a little.
The red arrows point to a character that isn't displayed properly. It seems the character 'Å' (lowercase: 'å') isn't existing in that font?

I'm afraid it's not so easy. In most of the dialogs, yes... but this is the main window of the Simple UI, which is somehow hardcoded in the skin file. So, there's little we can do about it. For the "green arrow" problem, it's only possible to shorten (rephrase) the text.
Regarding the "red arrows"... it's a problem with the font embedded in the default skin. I suggest to use a different skin, in particular some of the ones created by S.Z.Craftec (there's one in the default installation, or you can download many of there here); it should help.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 03:16:33 PM »
One solution for the green arrow problem, is to use "Skanna arkivfiler" instead of what we have now "Sök i komprimerade filer".

I like "komprimerade filer" better then "arkivfiler", but here we maybe don't have any choice as we need to shorter the words.

In the popup-window, that come up if you hold the mouse over the choice "Sök i.../Scan archive files" we can have a description, something like:

"Arkivfiler;Markera denna ruta om du vill att avast! ska skanna i komprimerade filer (t ex zip/rar-filer)."

What do you say Harteex...do you have a better solotion?

Harteex

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 06:41:49 PM »

What exactly do you mean?

http://harteex.kicks-ass.net/avast-inst.png
I can chose between lots of things... but when I first installed, I wondered, what exactly is Web shield, and what is Network shield etc. It would be nice to be able to see a description of those components. Maybe as a popup message or something.

One solution for the green arrow problem, is to use "Skanna arkivfiler" instead of what we have now "Sök i komprimerade filer".

I like "komprimerade filer" better then "arkivfiler", but here we maybe don't have any choice as we need to shorter the words.

In the popup-window, that come up if you hold the mouse over the choice "Sök i.../Scan archive files" we can have a description, something like:

"Arkivfiler;Markera denna ruta om du vill att avast! ska skanna i komprimerade filer (t ex zip/rar-filer)."

Yep this is good enough. I don't really have any other solution.

Also, we'll have to try to avoid Å then... it's not good if it doesn't work in the default skin.
På (On) maybe could be changed to Vald (Chosen) or something similiar.
As for Sök på lokala enheter, maybe it's ok to just write Sök lokala enheter?