Author Topic: Help shutting off scheduled scan  (Read 3654 times)

Clarissa Williams

Help shutting off scheduled scan
« on: January 05, 2007, 11:12:10 PM »
I need to temporarily disable the automatic scan that takes place at 3:00 am.  Please, advise what I must do to accomplish this.
Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Help shutting off scheduled scan
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 11:33:24 PM »
Start the Enhanced User Interface, switch to the "Scheduler" folder, select the corresponding scheduled task and modify it accordingly (either delete it completely, or just open its properties and check the "Disabled" option).

Clarissa Williams

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 01:34:11 AM »
Thanks for the advice, igor.  However, I cannot switch to the Enhanced User Interface, because I am using the home edition.  I don't want to upgrade to the Professional edition.  Any advice?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 01:41:58 AM »
Thanks for the advice, igor.  However, I cannot switch to the Enhanced User Interface, because I am using the home edition.  I don't want to upgrade to the Professional edition.  Any advice?
The Home version does NOT have any scheduling option...
If you're referring to Windows Tasks, go to Start > Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks.

If this is a 'remain' of an old trial version of avast that you had, please, uninstall and install avast again.
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 01:45:25 AM »
Then you probably have followed a thread here that told you how to set up a scheduled scan using the Windows Scheduled Tasks.

Start > Control > Scheduled Tasks

Look for the entry for running Avast Quick Scan, double click on the entry, a small window will open.At the bottom uncheck the "Enabled" box and click on "Apply" and "OK". 

The task will not run again until you repeat this process and check "Enabled" box again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 02:31:26 AM »
I need to temporarily disable the automatic scan that takes place at 3:00 am.  Please, advise what I must do to accomplish this.

Hopefully you will have found the windows Scheduled Task (the others have mentioned) for this now and paused. If you can't find that you could always switch off your system at night.

You might want to change your avatar for another, resize or use this one.  We try to keep avatars around 100 X 100 for those who don't have high resolution monitors.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 02:39:50 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Clarissa Williams

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 02:59:20 AM »
Thanks, Alanrf, but the Quick Scan you are talking about isn't on my Avast program.

Tech, I appreciate the advice.  I am not referring to Windows Tasks and I just downloaded the Avast program I am using yesterday.  The version is: avast! 4.7 Home Edition.  It was built October 2006.  You are correct in stating that there is NOT a scheduling option in this version.  However, in the process of registering for and downloading the program, which I did before I received my registration key in Avast's first email to me, I checked a box, located on Avast's website,  requesting the virus scan to run at 3:00 am.  At 3:00 am this morning it ran and when the scan was complete it tried to restart my computer.  
I am experiencing a Windows XP booting problem.  I am working on that problem, but I do not want my computer to reboot until I have it repaired.  
Any further advice would be very much appreciated.  I am going to go through some of the process of downloading again, just to see if I can find the exact wording in the scheduling box I checked.  Maybe, I can find resolution there.  If not, I will see if that scan runs at 3:00 am tomorrow.  If it does.  I will simply uninstall the program and reinstall it when my XP booting issue is resolved.
Thank you, again.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 08:02:03 AM »
Hmmm ... I hope that you will check carefully your browser's history file and let us know the origin of this 3.00 am scan.

Most of here are avast users trying to assist other avast users.  If there is a change to the initial setup process then we long term users may not be aware of it.  However, I can recall no other user mentioning a "start-up scan" (though I may be wrong).   

What I do recall is the number of users recently who have been enticed to fake avast sites, generally to sell them fake licenses but I have no doubt there are those who would just wish to entice folks to run malicious software on their systems.  I hope that this is not the case for you - but caution is advised.