Author Topic: using Avast! with ZoneAlarm  (Read 5889 times)

Pippin91

using Avast! with ZoneAlarm
« on: January 04, 2007, 10:35:31 AM »
Hi there everyone and Happy New Year.  :)

I've just downloaded and installed the latest Avast! Home edition under Windows XP, to replace my old anti-virus software.

As I use Zonealarm I was expecting some conflicts but it would appear that everything works perfectly. In case I've missed something, I would appreciate any comments from users out there.

Have a Happy and virus-free 2007!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: using Avast! with ZoneAlarm
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:34:51 AM »
As I use Zonealarm I was expecting some conflicts but it would appear that everything works perfectly. In case I've missed something, I would appreciate any comments from users out there.
In which order did you install both products?
If ZoneAlarm was already installed, you should see a warning while installing avast about the ZA presence.
There is not a conflict with the free version. There is an *issue* with privacy options of ZA professional.
More info:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg15960#msg15960
The best things in life are free.

Pippin91

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 01:21:23 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply.

I installed ZoneAlarm, and have regularly updated it, long before installing Avast! I did see a message concerning using ZA but as Avast! seems to work fine and ZA appears to work as before, I decided to checkout the Avast! forum. As my version of ZA is the free version I assume all is OK. I will follow up your link to checkout the issue
with the ZA pro version. Thanks for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 01:34:07 PM »
Thanks for your help.
You're welcome to avast forums.

Just to let you know. To check your avast installation with ZoneAlarm use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case). Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line (if exists) or, if you want to keep this line, set it to 0. Save the edited avast4.ini file.

Pippin91

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 03:11:12 PM »
Thanks a lot for your advice, Tech.

I'll make a backup copy of avast4.ini, then check the file contents and delete the line concerning ZA, if it exists.

By the way, isn't  there a way of just turning it into a comment line, by introducing a special symbol as the first character of the line?

Best Regards

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 03:27:55 PM »
The latest version of avast manages the compatibility check much better than previous versions, so you might not see anything if you are using the free version of ZA as there is no compatibility issue with that. Which version of ZA are you using (free/pro ?), you didn't say other than saying "I will follow up your link to checkout the issue with the ZA pro version", which isn't quite the same.

Whilst there is no REM or other /* */ comment functionality (as far as I know) there would be nothing to stop you doing something like REM-ZoneAlarmCompatibility= this should have the same effect as the comment as the value ZoneAlarmCompatibility won't be present.

If the ZoneAlarmCompatibility= line is there what value was assigned ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 03:45:04 PM »
The latest version of avast manages the compatibility check much better than previous versions, so you might not see anything if you are using the free version of ZA as there is no compatibility issue with that.
I believe you... but I just want to see an *official* word about that... then I can manage the way I'm helping here, talking *non-senses*  ;D

Whilst there is no REM or other /* */ comment functionality (as far as I know)
I would like to know if this exists too...
Maybe ;

Pippin91

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 03:53:19 PM »
Wow, the posts are coming in faster than I can reply. Thanks go to both DavidR and Tech for their quick responses.

As I am not at my own PC's keyboard at the moment, I'll have to check out the file and report back tomorrow. To pick up on DavidR's point, I thought I'd stated that my version of ZA is the free version, sorry if it wasn't clear. I'ts quite likely that the compatibility check mentioned by you both has suppressed any trace of possible problems. Either way, I'll report back tomorrow.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 04:58:10 PM »
No Problem, glad that we could help. Welcome to the forums.

Sorry you did mention it was the free version, I failed to read with enough care, it was the reference to reading the info about the Pro compatibility issue that threw me ;D

@ Tech
It was in this recent topic (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25662.0) that we covered this ground in a lot of detail, which basically confirms the latest version of avast 4.7.892 has the improved ZA compatibility check (see below avast home/pro history) and no pop-up for the free version of ZA.

This is where this starts to become apparent this is the case http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25662.msg209719#msg209719.

Version 4.7.892 - September 25, 2006
<snip>
    * added a workaround to problems with compatibility with Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall (remains of menus on the screen + seldom hang of avast program on start)
    * no more attempts to delete files on read-only media
    * improved detection of ZoneAlarm Pro (to prevent unnecessary WebShield incompatibility warnings)

Whilst there was no official response in the topic, the history tells its own story, which is confirmed in the program actions when ZA free is installed, no compatibility pop-up check and no ZoneAlarmCompatibility= line in the avast4.ini.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 05:31:18 PM »
When ZA free is installed, no compatibility pop-up check and no ZoneAlarmCompatibility= line in the avast4.ini.
I'll start to answer this way. Thanks David.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 05:40:47 PM »
This is fine for new installations of avast, the only issue as Alan and the sputnik365 mentioned upgrading to 4.7.892 from an earlier version retained the functionality of the old compatibility, e.g. a ZoneAlarmCompatibility= line in the avast4.ini and if you deleted that the pop-up compatibility did occur. Mentioned here and in the previous post http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25662.msg209821#msg209821.

So for new installations no problem, otherwise clear as mud.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 10:16:18 PM »
Wow, the posts are coming in faster than I can reply. Thanks go to both DavidR and Tech for their quick responses.

Yeah, be prepared for fast and well-written answers from avast-users, especially from the legendary forumheroes Tech and DavidR :)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 10:23:10 PM »
Careful, you will have me blushing ;D

Pippin91

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 02:22:19 PM »
Hi there once again you forumers.

I can confirm that, as said higher up, the avast4.ini file to be found in "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\" does indeed contain the line ZoneAlarmCompatibility=0. There is thus no problem with the free version of ZA and Avast!.

PS Bluesman is quite right, when Tech and DavidR are in the vicinity you're never alone (You should try to stop blushing DavidR)  :D

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 03:41:52 PM »
Actually I can't remember I ever had problems with ZA Free and avast! Welcome to the forum, and if you'll have more questions - we are ready to help  ;)