Author Topic: Avast auto updates but won't manually update  (Read 2805 times)

Offline cheater87

Avast auto updates but won't manually update
« on: January 10, 2007, 07:45:13 AM »
I tried to manually update it and nothing. It did an auto update so I'm very confused on why it won't do a manual one. I click the green button and nothing happens. Also I right click on the icon and have it update but nothing happens.
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast auto updates but won't manually update
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 02:51:22 PM »
What Green button is that ?
Is it from the Simple User Interface, Skin, see image.

Are you getting any errors or warnings, right click the avast icon, avast Log Viewer, and check Error, Warning or Info sections ?

What OS are you using ?
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 03:05:23 PM »
Also I right click on the icon and have it update but nothing happens.
Are your updates failing? Basically, check:

1) If the servers.def file is corrupt or 0KB (C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\servers.def).
    You can try and download the servers.def file, http://files.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def and replace the one in the avast setup folder.

2) If your subscription allows the update right now (i.e., if it is not expired).
    I hope you haven't bought a license from a site on this list: http://www.avast.com/eng/fraudulent-sales-of-avast-products.html

3) If your firewall settings and allow avast.setup to connect.
    If you're not sure, just turn off your firewall (to be sure the update failure is not due to it).
    Maybe you should 'remove' avast.setup entry, try to update, receiving a new alert from the firewall, allowing it and checking it to remember.

4)  Check your proxy settings into avast!:
     Left click the avast icon > Settings
     Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy
     Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu).
     If it doesn't help, try switching from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).
     You can run proxycfg -d in a DOS window to make your computer connect direct, without proxy. You can run proxycfg -h for help.

Oh, if there is an avast.setup process running in background, you need to kill it first. The first update hangs and the others won't be executed because there is already an avast.setup process running.
The best things in life are free.

Offline cheater87

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 07:47:48 PM »
Thanks repairing it worked *Hands you a box of yummy muffins*
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 08:31:59 PM »
Your welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security