Author Topic: Google images URL phishing  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Pierogi

Google images URL phishing
« on: April 07, 2021, 01:25:11 PM »
Hello. I'll go to the point. Today i was searching for something through google images on google chrome web browser and when i clicked one image preview from Amazon site i got a pop-up from Avast with information: "threat neutralized". The url of blocked site was different than the one i was previewing and it was blocked because it contained: "URL:Phishing". URL in that popup was a site with direction to a jpg file. I did check that blocked by Avast url at virustotal and 3 scanners found it as a malware, 3 other as suspicious. My question is, can i get infected just only by previewing/scrolling through google images? And why Avast acted like that if i didn't opened that site or even clicked a preview of the image? That blocked site probably may have been there as a suggested picture somewhere below the site of which i was previewing the picture (from Amazon) but i'm not sure. I panicked, because i've been using my OS for 3 years and haven't been infected even once or even got a pop-up about neutralizing the threat, because i avoid stuff i don't know, like sites or files. I always thought i CAN'T get infected by anything when i ONLY scroll or even click preview images from google images page, not going directly to the page. I would like to have a clear answer about it.

If that matters, i have the latest AV version, up to date.
Avast found it with "WebShield", in process: chrome.exe

Offline Pierogi

Re: Google images URL phishing
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 03:40:07 PM »
Today happened the same situation with even the same site in the alert from Avast, but instead of "url:phishing" i had name of threat "url:malvertising". Even from the same site, but to a different picture. I have read a little about this type of threat and it got me scared a little, as it was mentioned it can start infecting my computer as soon as the infected page is loading. Can please someone answer me if it is possible to get infected by only looking at pictures in google graphic, not going directly to the site? I am quite nervous about these kinds of situations and now i feel like i'm infected with something, no matter that Avast informed me it was neutralized. And why my AV tells me threat is neutralized by interrupting the connection when i wasn't going to that site. Does it mean my PC was connecting somehow to the sites? I can also add that i didn't even clicked on a picture thumbnail from this specific site. It just was there somewhere around while i was clicking on another picture
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 03:50:11 PM by Pierogi »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 04:38:01 PM »
Can please someone answer me if it is possible to get infected by only looking at pictures in google graphic, not going directly to the site?
As Avast blocked it you should be ok.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Pierogi

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 04:59:29 PM »
Can please someone answer me if it is possible to get infected by only looking at pictures in google graphic, not going directly to the site?
As Avast blocked it you should be ok.

But why even situation like this happens? I thought i can't get infected by only looking at pictures in google graphic. Only when i'll go directly to the infected site something can happen. In this case it behaves like i'm connecting to the sites not even going to them. Just pictures from this site appears in google graphic below the other i clicked and it happens. I wish to have like 99 if not 100 percent sure answer if anything could happen to me by this actions, because it really bothers me. Even more when i have read about malvertising that it can also get me infected by itself, only by "visiting" the infected site (which i didn't actually, that's why it's wondering me) and it works that quiet in the OS, that i wouldn't even spot it.