Author Topic: IE Outlook Express and Avast - Help  (Read 2056 times)

Gipiv

IE Outlook Express and Avast - Help
« on: January 08, 2007, 09:05:07 PM »
Hi,
I have this little problem and well I'm baffled, I don't know how to solve it.
I have Win Xp sp1, upgraded to Sp2 on an Intel machine and I use IE and Outlook express. I tried avast Pro for a month (worked wonderfully) then I tried Kaspersky for another month and I then  decided on Avast. Up to this point everything was working. I then reinstalled Avast pro and bought the license.
At this point IE closes as soon as I try to open a page and Outlook acts really strangely. It will open and I can use it but I cannot print anything. I tried un-installing Avast and everything turned back to normal. I noticed that the first time I open the Avast GUI I got an IE msg complaining about the ineraction with the activeX control on the page was potentially a problem and should I go ahead. The page in question was the intial welcome Avast page. Is it possible the IE is using activeX that Avast doesn't like?
Thanks for any suggestions on how to get back to IE and outlook express!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: IE Outlook Express and Avast - Help
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 09:18:20 PM »
Just in case, run this utility to remove all traces of Kaspersky from the registry:
http://www.ice-kav.com/downloads/util/KAV_Registry_Clean.zip
ICE is a US distributor for Kaspersky.
Also read more about KAV Removal Tools http://www.ice-kav.com/utilities.php

This activeX issue might be to do your your IE security settings and recent security updates, why it would close I don't know. I try to avoid IE and much prefer Firefox, have you tried an alternative browser ?

What are the strange things that are happening with OE ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security