Author Topic: updates possible only on admin account why ??  (Read 17413 times)

velox

updates possible only on admin account why ??
« on: January 09, 2007, 09:19:46 PM »
Hello 
Thx Avast Team for their great  job !!! :D

I have problem  i can't updates from  nonadmin account on windows xp sp 2( on admini account update  come without any problem )  ,i don't know why always was no problem but now what can be wrong  .I use comondo firewall avast.setup are showing up on taskbar    but  firewall dont show any active from avast when  i start update ???  :'(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: updates possible only on admin account why ??
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 11:16:24 PM »
What version of avast are you using, 4.7.892 is the latest regular release ?

The program updates can't be done from a limited user account, but I believe it is possible to do VPS updates on a limited user account, so what update were you trying to do ?

I suggest you delete the entry for avast.setup and do a manual update and have the firewall ask permission again. I believe there have been some problems with comodo (a forum search for comodo and beta might return some information), can't recall if they might have had something like this but people have tried the beta release of comodo.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tls

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 11:21:03 PM »
It is possible to do VPS updates on a limited user account (which is what I normally use).

Offline sergofun

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Hello, world>_
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 11:23:42 PM »
velox, let me correct you. avast! can be updated from nonadmin account but from advanced user.
However I wonder too why avast! can't be updated from user and limited user accounts? ???
Another point is you use quick switching from accounts avast! doesn't unload himself from memory. I mean that if I'll switch avast! off as user and logout his resident protection won't work when I login as another user (even as administrator).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 11:39:02 PM »
You wouldn't want a limited user being able to update the program (not VPS), which was installed by the administrator or a user with administrator privileges.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 02:03:14 AM »
Administrator could update program and virus database.
Limited users could update only the virus database.
I'm not sure about advanced users, but probably, only the virus database too.
The best things in life are free.

wain

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 12:34:09 AM »
I've been looking around but can't find a solution for the same or similar problem on WinXP SP1 with Avast 4.7.942.
Problem: Update of virus database is not working as non administrator account. (If I make myself member of Administrators, it's working fine.)

It's also not working manually via menu:
->Settings, Update(basic),Virus Database, "Update now..."
I just get the "Summary" window about the update, but nothing happens.
I don't get the "Downloading Packages" window, and the database version stays indeed the same.
Am I the only one having that problem  ???
[edit: layout emphasized about problem]
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 02:45:04 PM by wain »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 09:44:15 PM »
I just get the "Summary" window about the update, but nothing happens.
Vlk (our guru) said:
On a side note, whenever you see symptoms like "I try Add/Remove Programs -> avast and nothing happens" or "I try to invoke avast update and nothing happens", the cure that almost always works is to kill any running instances of the process "avast.setup" (or avast01.setup, avast02.setup etc. - if these are running as well). This can be done from the Processes tab in the Task Manager.

wain

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 02:32:21 PM »
Thanks Tech for your reply :). Unfortunately it's no solution in my case :(.
The only processes I can find related to Avast are:
ashDisp.exe      1264   avast! service GUI component      4.07.0936.0000      <runs in users account>
ashMaiSv.exe   2596                  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
ashServ.exe      832                  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
ashWebSv.exe   2688                  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
aswUpdSv.exe   3680                  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Remark: File versions of Avast are all max. version 4.07.0936.0, but I'm using version build 4.7.942, like "About avast!" tells me.

I checked the advice(s) before already of the post: Avast automatic update only for system administrator
-"avast!iAVS4 Control Service" is running in system account with interaction to desktop.
-I can ping to the Avast update server as non administrator.
I found a few posts with similar topics on this forum, but it seems with no solution at the end.
Or the user has changed to another antivirus application, which I have to do at the end maybe as well :(.
[edit: layout]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 08:03:09 PM by wain »

kubecj

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 06:22:58 PM »
Have you tried to go thru setup.log if there is anything interesting - ie. if you see any difference between admin / non-admin accesses?

wain

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 08:00:55 PM »
I checked the Setup.log files (In Setup and Data\log directories) for a few days.
It seems that in the Setup.log files, only lines are added when I'm administrator, at least so far regarding the updates.
Both files end with "Stopped: 14.03.2007, 21:52:31", which was the time of the successful update as administrator.

Further on, the following files where last time changed after successful update (when I was adminstrator).
   Avast\Setup\part-vps-72302.vpu
   Avast\Setup\vps-72300.vpu
   Avast\Setup\vpsm-72302.vpu
   Avast\Setup\setup.log
   Avast\DATA\400.vps
   Avast\DATA\log\Setup.log   (has already Full Control for Everyone")
Giving them "Full Control" rights like administrators isn't a solution as well.

The file "Avast\DATA\log\Warning.log" has many errors for failed updates as follows:
   <date & time>  1173982026   <my username>   3500   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x00000426, dwRes is 00000000.
   <date & time>  1173982422   <my username>   1092   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x00000426, dwRes is 72FE02C0.
PS: Only numbers after "Return Code" are mostly the same.
I will dig some more into the "setifaceUpdatePackages()" message on this forum, but so far not much useful found :(

kubecj

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 09:27:19 PM »
0x426 is service was not started.

Something is probably blocking avast updater service which is needed for successful updates under non-admin account.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 11:37:02 PM by kubecj »

wain

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 11:35:17 PM »
@kubecj: Yes, I just found that out too from your answer in the post 4.7 : Updating pbl error 0x426 - 0x2 :).

I checked a bit more on the firewall side (Firewall Comodo version 2.3.5.62):
   Removed Avast.setup (and all others from Avast) from firewall ->is not asking for access when starting update (manually or Avast's request) ->it seems Avast! doesn't get to the point where it needs access!?
   I don't know what's the value of the "Test Connection" in Proxy server Settings", but that works fine as non adminstrator.
   And on "Test Connection" the "setup.ovr" asks for Internet connection.

Maybe I try to install Avast on another machine and do some more experiments there... (to be continued)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 12:13:53 AM »
it seems Avast! doesn't get to the point where it needs access!?
Strange... it should be there... I have a 'lot' of avast versions because: home skin, professional, BART CD, avast for PDA, a script for automated updates, etc. All of them uses an avast.setup version.

I don't know what's the value of the "Test Connection" in Proxy server Settings", but that works fine as non adminstrator.
And on "Test Connection" the "setup.ovr" asks for Internet connection.
The file setup.ovr is transformed on avast.setup to update but, strangely, in your case, it is setup.ovr which asks connection...

wain

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 12:17:08 AM »
Problem partially Solved :)
I finally came to the conclusion that the problem is related to permission rights in the SetUp directory.
I gave only the files in Setup directory extra permission like this:
   Avast\Setup\INF  directory: make not inherited
   Avast\Setup\setiface.dll  file: make not inherited  (doesn't need write permission)
   Avast\Setup  directory: make not inherited
   Avast\Setup  directory: add permission "Write Data / Create Files"
AFAIK, in XPhome this can only be done from the command line, which is rather a pain in the ass.
Even in XPpro is it a bit complicated, and accidental permission change is easy made (no go back).
So using ACLView from Native Computer Systems Tools can make that a lot easier.

After these changes, my Avast virus database update works so far OK. Dowload Packages window comes up etc...
I hope it stays like that :-\ . Now have to wait for new available update....

[edit:] Partially solved
It's downloading the packages, but it seems not installing them. Compilation date of database stays the same!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 04:15:28 PM by wain »