Author Topic: cannot run .exe files  (Read 24308 times)

andyshaw

cannot run .exe files
« on: April 22, 2003, 02:43:51 PM »
I have downloaded the software and ran it. it found two viruses and placed them in the chest. since then I cannot run any .exe files from the hard drive or CD-ROM or Floppy. this includes Avast. So I cannot run avast to go into the chest to restore the programmes.
This is very worrying as I seem unable to run any programmes or even install them again as when I try to install them again it cannot find the setup.exe files. ???

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:cannot run .exe files
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 02:59:07 PM »
Nothing to worry about.
BTW: What Windowsversion do you use?

First download this file: http://www.diamondcs.com.au/cleanrun.reg and copy it to c:\ or a:\  .

Start Windows in Safe Mode  and than type in a dosbox "regedit a:\cleanrun.reg" (without the ")* than press return(Enter) and reboot your pc.  *a:\  or c:\  it depense on where you saved the cleanrun.reg

If it still does not fix your Problem, ask again.

The new Version, which should be avaible in a month or two will be able to fix this Problem autopomaticaly you can take a look at this thread: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=57
« Last Edit: April 22, 2003, 03:01:03 PM by raman »
MfG Ralf

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 03:04:27 PM »
Seems like some of the files you removed were associated to exe-file startup.
To fix the problem, do the following:
1. Start command.com (go to the Start Menu, select run (or press Win+R instead) and type "command.com").
2. Go to your windows directory (if your windows directory is c:\windows, type "c:" (enter) and "cd \windows").
3. Copy your regedit.exe to a .com file, i.e. type "copy regedit.exe regedit.com"
4. Start regedit (type "regedit.com")
5. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command; you will see the reference to the (now removed) virus file there, as the default value. Change it to "%1" %* (including the quotes, i.e. Quote-Percent-One-Quote-Space-Percent-Asterisk).

Now, exe files should be possible to start again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 04:02:47 AM »
An specific problem of runnig exe files is when AVAST does not allow to run DOS programs under a XP window (cmd window).
The AVAST does not run AutoIt executables (one of the best, or probably the best, macro runners under XP).
The solution of registry editing would not work on this. The question remains: why Norton AntiVirus, McAfee and AVG does not stop this executables and Avast does? ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 04:09:06 AM »
I tryed to install Avast in a "blank" XP system (just XP Pro installed and nothing more). The Avast blocked my DOS programs...). Other Antivirus (in a empty system) didn´t. I tried all the resident scanner options, bypassing 16-Bits and 32-Bits option, I tried not heuristic - because some files zipped from DOS versions of pkzip and pkunzip are .doc -, I tried to disable resident scanning...
All that I get is a blank line of the cursor: C:\> :'( :'( :'(

kubecj

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2003, 01:48:10 AM »
Hi,

please, check if your x:\win_path\system32\config.nt contains one line of this format:

device=x:\short_path_to_avast4\aswmonds.sys

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2003, 04:17:37 AM »
Except the comments (REM), my config.nt has the following lines:

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40

I´ll try to add the one that you suggest (with the correct path) and see if it works:

Thanks for your help, Jindrich Kubec

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 05:32:32 AM »
Fantastic!!! :) ;)
The very best advice! Works perfectly!
When I notify the first time, my config.nt - except the comments (REM) - myhas the following lines:

dos=high, umb
files=40

because, Avast was not installed. After I install, the file config.nt immediatly changed with another line (with my correct path):

I booted and tryed to use Avast. Nothing changed, I could not use DOS .exe. When I put a REM before the line:

REM device=x:\short_path_to_avast4\aswmonds.sys

the executables works perfectly!  ;)

Very best thanks to Jindrich Kubec!  :o

Did I lost any Avast features?
Everything seems to work fine...
The best Antivirus Help and Support! 8)

kubecj

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2003, 12:05:54 AM »
Huh, I thought the exact opposite  - adding the line ???

Are you sure the residents are running? There should be 'a' in blue ball in your system tray.

The file mentioned is a driver which allows residents to scan dos programs for viruses.

Also note that you should reboot after the installation. Right after installing (without rebooting first) there're no guarantees that avast will work flawlessly.

I think we'll have to wait for Vlk to solve this problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 12:17:03 AM »
Sorry (or not), I´m sure. The residents are running :D.
There is an 'a' in blue ball in my system tray. The Program tasks shows that the programs and services are running.
I can run the Avast scan too.
Probably, I have - like you said - deactivated the driver which allows residents to scan DOS programs for viruses but, now, and just now, they are running.

I reboot after the installation. I just said that I 'look' into the config.nt file before rebooting.  :D

Thanks, Avast team.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2003, 10:29:53 PM »
 :)
Hello, everybody who has read my last posted messages. I´m technical and the first thing I want to say is that avast Help Support is the best of av companies. Specially acknowledgments to Jindrich Kubec who were vey patient with me.

I had a problem using DOS under XP using avast 4.0 Home edition and pieces of the Norton Sys-temWorks 2003 (except NAV).

The solution was manually editing two Registry keys (apparently corrupted by Norton Anti-Virus Removal Utility):

HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
   HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers

They have to be formatted as: string,0,string,0,string,0,...,0,0
   But in my case it looks that some idiotic program (probably Symantec?) did:
   string,0,0,string,0,string,0,0

You may try to export the key in the file, remove one zero from the first double zeros.
   Be sure the strings end with double zeros.
   Then import it back and reboot.
   You should then see there the record for \<avast directory>\aswMonVd.dll

-------------------------
The whole history (read just if you have the same problems than I)

The symptoms were:

a) into a cmd window it was forbidden to use DOS programs (16-bits). The user just get the prompt after the command and nothing happens, e.g.:
   C:\pkunzip -n *.zip {enter}
   C:\
By the way, with the WinZip Command Line 1.1 Beta1 the same effect were noted. This application
is the command line version of WinZip 9.0 Beta (www.winzip.com)

b) the cmd window just not ‘change’ its name with the command. In AutoIt 2.64 scripts (www.hiddensoft.com) (the best macro maker for Windows, thanks to Jonathan Bennett). Sending a Run command to cmd windows (e.g.: Run, C:\\pkzip.exe -n *.zip  or  RunWait, %COMSPEC% /C copy c:\\*.zip a:\\,, hide), the cmd window remains with the title C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe). The commands (programs) are not executed.

To solve the problem:

1. The first thing avast Help Support team thought was that the aswmonds.sys resident drive for DOS was not correctly registered in Windows. This is correct but, at that time, we don´t know the cause. We tried to edit the file C:\Windows\System32\Config.nt that looks like:
   dos=high, umb
   files=40
   device=\<avast directory>\aswmonds.sys

If the user set the last line as a comment:
   REM device=\<avast directory>\aswmonds.sys

The cmd window will work and DOS programs too (see letters a) and b) above). But, the DOS resident driver wouldn´t be loaded and the computer would not be completely protected against virus.

2. After this, we tried to find which program in my computer was responsible for this behavior. Obviously, we thought in Norton SystemWorks 2003 Suite. The NAV component was never in-stalled in this computer but, as everyone recommends, I use Norton Anti-Virus Removal Utility:  http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/949e46314f0916a0852565d00073bbfd/33497f6e8a319ece88256ace0076cc02/$FILE/Rnav2003.exe

3. Apparently, this program corrupted two Registry keys (see rnav_log.txt which is generated by the application):

HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
   HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers

It should have format: string,0,string,0,string,0,...,0,0

But in my case it looks that some idiotic program (probably Symantec?) did:
   string,0,0,string,0,string,0,0
   You may try to export the key in the file, remove one zero from the first double zeros.
   Be sure the strings end with double zeros.
   Then import it back and reboot.

You should then see there the record for aswmonvd.dll.
   Just one record is enough (maybe you see more than one line like this:
   Text: C:\Arquivos de programas\Avast\aswMonVd.dll

4. Other topics to see:

a) There must be aswMonVD.dll in your Avast directory.

b) If you did, don't forget to 'un-REM' the statement in config.nt (see To solve the problem, 1, above)

c) There must be the following records in the registry:

Key name: HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
   Value name: VDD
   Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
   Type number: 00000007
   Text: \<avast directory>\aswMonVd.dll

Key name: HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
   Value name: VDD
   Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
   Type number: 00000007
   Text: \<avast directory>\aswMonVd.dll

These records are automatilly generated by avast setup installation program. But, if you have any piece of Norton SystemWorks 2003 installed – remember that NAV is incompatible with avast – you probably may have to edit manually the Registry keys above (or, if the avast team found another way…)

d) Reboot. The avast must work after that and all other DOS programs. ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2003, 05:05:56 AM »
One week after and the system is working ok!
Thanks avast.  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 03:51:16 AM »
One week after and the system is working ok!
Thanks avast.  :)

Sorry for quoting myself and resucitating my first forum thread...
Anyway this thread is why I'm here in foruns  ;D

The trouble is happening again...
Someone changes my Registry Keys... Maybe Norton LiveUpdate but I'm not sure (I'm using all parts of the Suite except NAV)...
Now, the keys were messed again  >:(
Some .exe files does not work under cmd window or executed from Windows Explorer (the DOS window does not open!)  >:(

Vlk, could you help me again like at the first time?  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2003, 03:56:30 AM »
Other key...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot