Author Topic: Outlook Express password  (Read 4524 times)

beantrader

Outlook Express password
« on: February 03, 2004, 05:37:14 PM »
I installed avast 4 home and ran the e-mail wizard.When i open my outlook express and hit send/recieve mail I get a popup box asking me for my user name and password,i enter the info but the box keeps coming back and my mail doesn't get downloaded.
Any idea's?

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Outlook Express password
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 06:04:02 PM »
Please look to the file C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\DATA\log\aswMaiSv.log, if there are any errors.

beantrader

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 06:38:23 PM »
Please look to the file C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\DATA\log\aswMaiSv.log, if there are any errors.

No errors.
I setup again using the e-mail wizard and did a manual but still getting the popup.Popup is not reconizing my password.

BanziBaby

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 08:46:30 PM »
Hi beantrader :)

Please look at my reply in this post http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2591

This is needed if U use win98, if U use XP then it could be something else, but if U run 98, then follow the advice i gave in that link & post back, should stop that damn box from appearing again

The win98 update U need is Update Root Certificates, the blurb under it says it for more secure browsing (from M$? lol) & email, when i ran 98 till recently, that update was the only way i could get it to work right :)

BaNzI ;D

Bernie

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 09:36:30 PM »

beantrader

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 01:09:32 AM »
Hi beantrader :)

Please look at my reply in this post http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2591

This is needed if U use win98, if U use XP then it could be something else, but if U run 98, then follow the advice i gave in that link & post back, should stop that damn box from appearing again

The win98 update U need is Update Root Certificates, the blurb under it says it for more secure browsing (from M$? lol) & email, when i ran 98 till recently, that update was the only way i could get it to work right :)

BaNzI ;D
I checked and i was up to date.Anymore suggestions out there? If not i have to remove Avast and use Norton.

techie101

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 02:00:19 AM »
Beantrader,

May I ask what ISP you use.  Normally when you receive a dialogue box asking for username and password,  the server did not recognize or was not sent the proper information.

I would like you to check OE/Tools/Accounts/Properties/Servers and let me know what is in the boxes marked IncomingPOP and OutgoingSMTP servers.
Also, the Incoming Mail Server Account name. DO NOT USE THE ACTUAL USERNAME.  I only want to see the format.

Is the box under Outgoing Mail Server checked "My server requires authentication?

Do the same for the Outgoing Mail Server Account name which you will find by clicking on Settings at the bottom.

Neither box "Use secure server password" should be checked.

Thanks,
Techie

kd2pm

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 05:13:23 PM »
I had the same and my fix was to change the # character in the receive mail section to a : and that allowed the avast server and Comcast to play nice. If you let the wizard make the changes for you, it uses the # (email_account#pop3_server) and I have mine now set to (email_account:pop3server)

I thought this was fixed in the latest release though. I believe the wizard is still placing the # in there.