Author Topic: How long you are using avast! ?  (Read 13239 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: How long you are using avast! ?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 07:37:52 PM »
I have no idea, I registered on the forum in Feb 2005 when I had a problem with webshield and ZA.  I think I had Avast for at least a year or 2 before that but can't be sure.  The memory starts to go at my age  8)

Jarmo P

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 04:28:42 PM »
I was using Avast for about 1.5 years.

Now though since avast updates lately caused me reboots, no idea why, I have changed to Antivir. I might come back soon  ;)
Might be just my ailing computer.

Avast has a nice friendly forum, though myself never needed much help from anyone except from igor's replies and i am forever thankfull to him.
Jarmo

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 06:20:47 PM »
Now though since avast updates lately caused me reboots
Are you sure that the reboots weren't needed because of a program update ?
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 08:30:29 PM »
Now though since avast updates lately caused me reboots
Operating system restart needed by avast message could be solved, in some systems, by deleting the file <avast>\setup\reboot.txt

If deleting reboot.txt doesn't stop the requests for reboot check this:
Check this registry entry (right after computer restart):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, if it contains "PendingFileRenameOperations".
Check its contents and if there's only "reboot.txt" from avast4\setup folder, delete PendingFileRenameOperations, don't delete any other key.
Back-up (export) the registry key before you edit/delete, just in case.

Not sure what the problem with your shutdown might be (does this happen every time?), there could be something running that isn't ending correctly. Hopefully something may be in the windows event logs.

Igor said:

The virus database updates normally don't require computer restart. However, in very special cases, a virus database update might actually include a program update as well (in which case, the computer restart would indeed be required). I believe it was your case.

I should probably explain what "in very special cases mean". Some time ago, we have found some limits (you can call it "bugs") in avast! code which would make avast! stop working when the number of records in virus database reaches specific number (well, it's a bit more complicated than that, but it doesn't really matter now). We fixed the problems, of course, and included the fix in one of the program updates.
Right now, we are very close to this "limit" (regarding the number of viruses). Even though the fixed version of the program has been available for quite some time now, however, there are still quite a lot of users who use older versions; so, we can either stop adding new viruses (which wouldn't be very wise), or somehow make the users of old avast! versions - that are still out there - to update to the fixed one. So, that's what happening right now... some of the old versions were updated during an ordinary virus database update.

Hope this explains it.
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 10:16:33 PM »
I started using it about a week before i joined the forum
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

drhayden1

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 10:22:05 PM »
Been on the forum since march 2006 and been using avast for around 4 years :o
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:25:45 PM by drhayden1 »

tls

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 06:54:11 PM »
I installed avast! home on my daughter's computer in February of 2006, and on my mother's a few weeks after. 

In March I removed Norton Internet Security from my computer (I had just paid for a year's subscription in January) and installed avast! home, which I upgraded to avast! Pro in April because I occasionally use my computer for work.

pandammonia

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 05:32:36 AM »
Only about 9 months, but they've been 9 fabulous virus free months. I LOVE AVAST! & have recruited several others to avast as well. loves it.
;D ;D ;D

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 10:23:46 AM »
Name:  marc57
Position:  Full Member
Date Registered:  February 05, 2005, 11:08:41 AM
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

jujubee

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 10:56:33 AM »
I have been using Avast for about a year on my other computer (it is running Win98).

I would have loved to use Avast for this computer as well (running WinXP), but there was a problem with my version of ZoneAlarm (5.5.062.004). I refuse to update to a new free version of ZoneAlarm because I don't know if the current versions offer as good firewall protection as the old versions. I know there has been articles posted on how to deal with the ZoneAlarm problem, but I am very novice and it is too much for me. Thus, for this computer I use AVG since there has  been no problem with ZoneAlarm. But man, I wish Avast could come up with a version that already deals with this ZoneAlarm problem for us beginning users. I really had no problem with Avast, and I liked it a lot.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 02:20:45 PM »
Why not create a new topic and explain the problem (if you haven't already done so in the past), perhaps there is a way/work around to the problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2007, 02:51:41 PM »
I would have loved to use Avast for this computer as well (running WinXP), but there was a problem with my version of ZoneAlarm (5.5.062.004). I refuse to update to a new free version of ZoneAlarm because I don't know if the current versions offer as good firewall protection as the old versions. I know there has been articles posted on how to deal with the ZoneAlarm problem, but I am very novice and it is too much for me. Thus, for this computer I use AVG since there has  been no problem with ZoneAlarm. But man, I wish Avast could come up with a version that already deals with this ZoneAlarm problem for us beginning users. I really had no problem with Avast, and I liked it a lot.
Please follow: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=21297.msg177908#msg177908
Isn't this problem already solved? You haven't posted back on that thread  ::)
By the way, avast works with ZoneAlarm, for sure...
The best things in life are free.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2007, 06:25:21 PM »
Please, FOLLOW the main topic title. Thank you  ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 06:27:04 PM by =YLAP= »

Starfighter

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 04:06:02 AM »
I've been using avast since the summer of 2004.

I like avast very much, and consequently have recommended it to many of my friends (for their home use).

New_Age

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2007, 12:03:02 AM »
Joined of April 2006.  Been using Avast! since 2005.