Author Topic: installation problem  (Read 5667 times)

barton45

installation problem
« on: January 11, 2007, 08:56:44 PM »
Hi! I am not new to avast in windows and have had avast in ubuntu linux.
However, after a few problems in my linux setup, I have had to download it again. I have downloaded avast4workstation_1.0.7-2_i386.deb to my desktop, I have right clicked and used the GDebi Installer to install. using the terminal to type 'avastgui' I get the following (attachment) followed by the GUI which I cannot use. at this point I am unable to delete the avast error box and need to restart the PC to do so. I have obtained a lic and was hoping to insert it via the GUI. It's becoming frustrating, so if anyone can help I would be grateful.
regards

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: installation problem
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 11:06:25 AM »
Hi! I am not new to avast in windows and have had avast in ubuntu linux.
However, after a few problems in my linux setup, I have had to download it again. I have downloaded avast4workstation_1.0.7-2_i386.deb to my desktop, I have right clicked and used the GDebi Installer to install. using the terminal to type 'avastgui' I get the following (attachment) followed by the GUI which I cannot use. at this point I am unable to delete the avast error box and need to restart the PC to do so. I have obtained a lic and was hoping to insert it via the GUI. It's becoming frustrating, so if anyone can help I would be grateful.
regards

Hallo,
are You sure that You are really user-uid harry (check with 'id'), and You can write to the mentioned file? Also check with 'df' whether your volume isn't out of free space, or, check the permisions for the mentioned path (with 'ls -l'). Maybe the path doesn't exist even, in general, You must be able to do things like 'echo something >/home/harry/.avast/log/avastgui.log' with no error returned.

Note that live distributions, although on read-only media, use usually unionfs (or similar workaround) to make user homes writable.

Z.
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

barton45

Re: installation problem
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 04:33:24 PM »
There appeared to be many errors when looking at the details.Maybe I will redownload and try again.
regards