Author Topic: 4.7 Home Edition Updates Ready to Expire  (Read 4778 times)

Offline evollbach

4.7 Home Edition Updates Ready to Expire
« on: January 13, 2007, 05:26:10 PM »
Hi. I'm running Windows 98 and am using Avast 4.7 Home Edition because 1) I was told this program works well with Windows 98 and 2) because I'm unemployed, I need free. I didn't download and install this program; someone else did when I was having problems with the computer.

Now I get a popup that my subscription to Avast updates will be expiring soon. So I need to know

* Where and how can I renew the subscription?
* Can I do it for free again until I get a job?

I'm a firm believer in paying for the software I find useful just like I'm a firm believer in contributing to the Humane Society. In both cases, I just can't right now. That's why I'm still running Windows 98.

Thanks,
Beth

SNOWHITE

Re: 4.7 Home Edition Updates Ready to Expire
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 05:36:55 PM »
Hi evollbach :)
avast! is free so all you need to do is to register again and get a new key by filling in the registration form, http://www.asw.cz/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG

Welcome to the forum ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 07:12:30 PM »
1) I was told this program works well with Windows 98
Yes... But wait for the update of tonigh...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25697.msg212190#msg212190

2) because I'm unemployed, I need free. I didn't download and install this program; someone else did when I was having problems with the computer.
Will you use the computer for HOME and NON-COMMERCIAL usage? Or will you earn money using the computer?
If so, it won't be free, you need the Professional version, even unemployed... but you can ask for a discount at sales (at) avast.com
The best things in life are free.

Offline evollbach

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 02:34:14 AM »
I'm a home user. When I have a job, I go to work and use their computer and let them worry about viruses.

So can I just reregister from within the program, i.e., click REGISTER?

Beth

joeloucyn

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 04:59:44 AM »
I'm a home user. When I have a job, I go to work and use their computer and let them worry about viruses.

Beth

Yes you can reregister from within the program just click REGISTER, you will be taken to the website, you are good for another year after you fill out the form and a new license key will be emailed to you that you copy and paste into the License key space!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 02:11:10 PM »
Beth, avast is not for unemployed people  ;)
It's free to use in a HOME computer that is NOT used for any other profit (commercial) activity  :)
If you like avast, maybe you can suggest they buy the Pro version at your work  ;)

joeloucyn

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 03:37:13 PM »
So in other words you can use the free edition (Home edition) of avast!. Just reregister. :)

Offline evollbach

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 01:27:20 PM »
Beth, avast is not for unemployed people  ;)
It's free to use in a HOME computer that is NOT used for any other profit (commercial) activity  :)
If you like avast, maybe you can suggest they buy the Pro version at your work  ;)
You misunderstood what I said. I do not use this old Windows 98 computer for commercial, profit-making activity. I've never done anything profit making from home and never intend to. The only reason I mentioned my unemployment was to point out that I have no income so can't afford to upgrade my operating system or pay for new software.

I'm definitely in compliance with the rules for using the free Home Edition of Avast, honest. So I will reregister later today. Thanks!

Beth

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 03:35:51 PM »
You misunderstood what I said.
Sorry Beth... I just want to make clear what some people misunderstood: that avast, even for charity or non-profit organizations, is NOT free. I mean, they could have a discount but they are not allowed to use the Home (free) version.

Glad you're enjoying avast experience.
Come back any time you need help or share knowledge  ;)