Author Topic: Avast install on 64 bit vista  (Read 22633 times)

tri.bassett

Avast install on 64 bit vista
« on: January 13, 2007, 06:55:50 PM »
I just installed Avast 4.7 on 64 bit vista and find some odd behavio.  when Avast is in On Access Protection control, I cannot access task manager (Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.  You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item).  Other applications (control panel, command prompt) result in the same error. 

Any clues? ???

mouniernetwork

Re: Avast install on 64 bit vista
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 07:07:26 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  ;)
This is a known issue it will be fixed tonight or earlier according to this post :

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25697.135

Al968

PheeniX

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 08:42:38 PM »
 :-[ i am having the same problems.. i have to shutdown avast in order to access or run many vista tools or programs. getting access denied all over windows vista 64 ultimate

paesan

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 08:53:21 PM »
Just updated on vista 64 bit and I am getting the same access denied messages. System is acting very weird now with the new update. Sidebar won't even load. I had to diasble on access protection. Hope this is fixed soon.

mouniernetwork

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 09:27:35 PM »
Paesan, PheeniX,

Did you read my previous post ??  :(
It's going to be fixed tonight  :)

Al968

paesan

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 09:32:16 PM »
Yes al968, I did read it. What is wrong with me contributing some more info. What is the point of this forum if one can't contribute their issues with the program. Lighten up a little!!!

mouniernetwork

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 09:37:40 PM »
Yes al968, I did read it. What is wrong with me contributing some more info. What is the point of this forum if one can't contribute their issues with the program. Lighten up a little!!!
All I am saying is that Vlk said that there was no need for additional posts about those issues as they have been fixed are will be released in a few hours  :)

Al968

FlyBye88

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 08:51:32 AM »
All I am saying is that Vlk said that there was no need for additional posts about those issues as they have been fixed are will be released in a few hours  :)

Al968

How do we know when it has been fixed and the new build is available? When it is available where will one find it - and can one see the build number before downloading?

::)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 09:04:24 AM »
All that information will be posted in this forum by one of the moderators - as it always is.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 02:47:16 PM »
How do we know when it has been fixed and the new build is available? When it is available where will one find it - and can one see the build number before downloading?

You can also check http://www.avast.com/index.html the build number, the bit after 4.7, e.g. .936 under latest updates, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

FlyBye88

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 09:26:21 AM »

You can also check http://www.avast.com/index.html the build number, the bit after 4.7, e.g. .936 under latest updates, see image.

Thanks, I understand this - but the update to cure the problems with Vista 64+ that was apparently originally expected for a couple of days ago does not seem to be actually available for d-load allthough there is some talk here on the forum of an update being around?

- and yes one is impressed by the generally responsive support situation.

Now it will just be real nice when the goods are there too!  :o

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 09:37:06 AM »
This post explains that there may be a delay in updating the main current product information.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25697.msg212558#msg212558

However, as many of us have found, the update promised on Jan 14th was provided as version 4.7.938 and may be downloaded by selecting the Program Update of the avast menu.

(Right click avast tray icon > Updating > Program Update)   

sanelson

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 09:48:44 AM »
4.7.938 does not fix the problem with Vista x64.  At least, not for me.  I can't even log into Windows with it installed.  I'm running Vista x64 RC1, and have been running avast since I installed Vista several months ago.  The 4.7.936 update totally hosed my system after I rebooted as it did everybody else.  I did a system restore to fix the problem, and didn't find out it was avast until after I got everything back up and running and avast installed again.  When my system finally crashed a few minutes ago, and I had to reboot, I did an update to 4.7.938 from safe mode and the problem still exists.  I get to the login screen, click on my name, and enter my password, then Windows says "Logging OFF" and my monitor goes into sleep mode as if it's not getting a video signal.  I then have to hard-reboot my computer and log in in safe mode (where I'm writing this from).  I tried uninstalling 4.7.938, then reinstalling 4.7.936 from the website and updating to 4.7.938 before I reboot the computer.  The same thing still happens.  I can log-in to Windows normally as long as avast is not installed, but if either 4.7.936 or 4.7.938 is installed, I cannot log in at all except through safe mode.

chinga69

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 10:18:16 AM »
after a lot of playing around i have found that i have to customize the standard shield and untick scan executed progs and scan dynamic libraries  to be able to get access back for net and system .

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 10:20:35 AM »
Chinga, what build of avast! are you running?
Is the problem still present in 4.7.938?
Thanks.