Author Topic: program file flagged as trojan  (Read 1991 times)

photogirlie

program file flagged as trojan
« on: January 14, 2007, 06:11:29 AM »
I have version 4.7 on my computer after throwing my hands up in the air with McAfee.

My daughter got a scholastic ISPY game for Christmas which we have been using since the holidays without a problem, however tonight when we tried to play the game avast came up with a trojan warning which I tried to ignore but it kept popping up just as fast as I clicked to close the warning and I eventually deleted what they were calling a trojan.  Upon trying to open the game again it kept giving the error message that the game could not open or something like that.  I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it thinking this would help but once again, Avast was flagging one of the files as a trojan.  I understand that games or any files can become corrupt but I thought that by uninstalling and reinstalling it would solve the problem.  It is on cd so it's not a floppy that was corrupted.  Is there a way to ignore certain warnings without the warning popping up repeatedly?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: program file flagged as trojan
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 06:43:35 AM »
You can add the file name/path to the exclution list in the standard shield. Since you have been playing this game for some time, it is in all likelyhood a false positive.

Please send a passworded zipped sample to virus@avast.com , include the password and why you believe it to be a fp. Include also which program version and vps detected it. Check the file after a vps update to see if avast has included it in the update.

You can also check the file at virustotal http://www.virustotal.com/xhtml/index_en.html . It's muti av online scanner.

Never delete a file that avast has detected. If you delete you have no options left because avast does just that, it deletes completely. Chose send to the chest instead. The file is safe there and you can investigate. If it is a fp you can restore the file, or if it is truly infected you can delete it from there. Lucky you have the cd for the game.

Welcome to the forum

photogirlie

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 05:36:57 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply.  The second time I had the problem I sent it to the chest.  I can't find it though to remove the file.  Hahaha!  Where do I go to access the chest?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 05:46:57 PM »
If you are using the home version

Right click the "a" icon, select start avast antivirus. click on the chest icon upper left. The file you want to restore will be under infected files. A copy will remain in the chest even after you restore it. This is ok, you can use this to test the file after a vps update, when it tests clean you can delete it.

Pro version is much the same just a little different lay out.