Author Topic: Win x64, Avast Home and Outpost Firewall 4  (Read 8226 times)

Sprudeldudel

Win x64, Avast Home and Outpost Firewall 4
« on: January 14, 2007, 03:16:40 PM »
The above combination is really not compatible. I tried twice on different Systems running this and Avast frequently caused crashes in the firewall (htmlfilt.dll), which caused the whole system to freeze. Unfortunate that Avast is the only free AntiVirus-Software and Agnitum the only firewall for x64.

Please Avast, communicate with Agnitum resolve this issue. THEN I will buy your software;-)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Win x64, Avast Home and Outpost Firewall 4
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 03:43:18 PM »
The above combination is really not compatible. I tried twice on different Systems running this and Avast frequently caused crashes in the firewall (htmlfilt.dll), which caused the whole system to freeze. Unfortunate that Avast is the only free AntiVirus-Software and Agnitum the only firewall for x64.

Please Avast, communicate with Agnitum resolve this issue. THEN I will buy your software;-)
Please check the folder <avast>\data\log
Are there any files called unpXXXX there  (where XXXX is a random number)?
If so, send them to vlk@avast.com
They may contain more information about the problem (maybe a link to this thread).

Vlk explains how to create a dump file here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=22636.msg187340#msg187340

I hope they could find what's wrong with avast + Outpost combination with x64  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Sprudeldudel

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 03:49:57 PM »
Very sorry, but I deleted Avast. If I had the files I would send them, but I don't want to mess up my system with more crashes, so I will not install again. This problem however is pretty fundamental, so I think it is Avast's responibility to get it fixed by themselves.
If they pay me, I'll do some testing. LOL

MAybe there is a Function to disable Avast AV for certain Programs, like Outpost... Then they won't get into eachothers way.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 03:55:43 PM by Sprudeldudel »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 03:58:11 PM »
This problem however is pretty fundamental, so I think it is Avast's responibility to get it fixed by themselves.

I'm rather surprised by this conclusion... I mean, the crashes occurred in the firewall, so why should be avast! responsible? I'm not saying it's not possible, but it could easily be a bug in the firewall, couldn't it?
It's sad that you didn't supply any more details (such as, would it help to stop some of avast! resident providers?)

Do you have any recent files in Windows\Minidump folder?

Sprudeldudel

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 04:12:08 PM »
I sure is possible that it is a problem in Outpost. I have let them know already too. Talking to them will help most, I suppose. Communication is everything ;-)

I do have two files in my minidump folder. They are from yesterday, when the crashes occured.

They are attached in an *.jpg-file. Rename to*.rar and unpack it. Your filter will not let me add *.rar files....

The Problem occured with one of the components, web...something.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 04:23:02 PM »
OK, thanks.
I forwarded the minidumps to the developers whose code might be affected.

Sprudeldudel

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 04:30:34 PM »
Thank you. I am impressed by your promt action-taking. Is it possible to inform me of the outcome?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 04:35:58 PM »
I have Outpost Pro 4.0, avast Home and XP Pro SP2 (32bit) and I don't experience this problem.

The only problem I experience with outpost and avast was pausing the standard shield to do a scan with an anti-spyware when I tried to resume the standard shield everything froze. That was Outpost's wl_hook.dll getting in the mix, exclusion of the file stopped that (*\wl_hook.dll).

Do you also use the outpost plug-ins, if so which ones ?
The htmlfilt.dll seems to be an 'Outpost Firewall kernel mode plugin.'

I don't know if this is correct but the file name looks like it is an HTML Filter and if so perhaps it is getting in the face of web shield doing a similar task. If so this would probably be the Active Content plug-in which I have disabled. The only plug-in I have enabled is the attack detection, basically I only want my firewall to be a firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 04:38:29 PM »
I sent them a link to this thread, so I guess the results would be posted here.
One of the developers, Vlk, is on holidays for the next week, however, so it might take a while.

DavidR: It's easily possible that the problem occurs on 64bit Windows only since other (64bit) drivers are used there.

Sprudeldudel

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 04:51:09 PM »
Well anyway I just reinstalled Avast and disabled all theplugins except for attack in outpost. we will see ...

tls

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 04:58:36 PM »
This is likely irrelevant, but some appear to be having problems with the latest (11 January) Outpost update, Outpost Firewall Pro 4.0 (1005/590.123), noted on the Outpost forum. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 05:25:05 PM »
Interesting, I haven't installed that update yet, I'm still using 4.0(971.7030 584), will check that out.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tls

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 06:13:33 PM »
I have not yet installed it.  I prefer to wait until I have seen that any problems have been addressed or are at least manageable. 

Sprudeldudel

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 07:36:34 PM »
Well, the freezes returned, so Avast had to go again. It is likely though that the problem is of more general nature. I tried sophos also, and had freezes too.

This topic is btw also on Agnitum Forums, so all sides are informed ;-)

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 09:54:49 PM »
Sprudeldudel: haha, you had freezes with sophos antivirus as well ;D according to minidumps, there's a problem in outpost HTMLFILT.DLL (build date is: Dec 18, 10:39:57 2006), which is kernel DLL for ad-blocking (or something similar?). You can disable the plugin and wait for their fixed version.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 09:56:31 PM by pk »