Author Topic: avast!4 Home install locks up computer  (Read 9318 times)

forrestcreature

avast!4 Home install locks up computer
« on: January 29, 2004, 02:36:48 PM »
 Help!  I have twice attempted to install (I completed registration screens & submitted) subject program on my laptop computer.  In both instances, after successful installation (according to the setup file) my computer is completely locked up and I am unable to get beyond the desktop screen.  I am able to move the mouse cursor but nothing happens when I click on any desktop icon--"Start", "ALWIL"  or any of my icons for various applications!  I have rebooted the computer several times after installation but it always returns to this same "lock-up" condition.  The only way I have been able to get the computer operational again is to reboot the computer in "Safe" mode and do a "System Restore" to a time prior to installing your software.  Do you have any idea(s) as to what may be the problem--or is the software just incompatible with this computer?

The specifications on this system are as follows:
--Windows XP operating system
--Attempting to Install (Avast version 4.1)
--Version of VPS file--Unknown--Unable to open program after installation
--Compaq Laptop Computer, Intel Celeron 1.8GB, 512 MB PC 2100 DDR 266 MHZ RAM
--Dial-Up Internet Connection, MSIE 6.0 Browser
--Outlook Express 6.0 E-mail Client
--Other Security Software--Norton Anti-Virus program "disabled" before Avast 4.1 installation
--Did 2 different downloads of Avast 4.1 "Setupeng.exe" file; Installed each time--same result--system lockup
--No other error messages appear--gray ball icon for Avast software appears in "System Tray"

Any help/advice you can give me regarding this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:avast!4 Home install locks up computer
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 03:06:12 PM »
Unfortunately, it's not enough to "disable" Norton as it really loads its drivers no matter if you disable it or not...

You'll have to uninstall it. That should solve the problem.

BTW to do this, boot to Safe Mode. Keep pressing F8 before Windows starts to boot.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 03:06:42 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

forrestcreature

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 03:11:47 PM »
Thanks VlK I wondered about that.  I'll give it a try!

Datagg

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 03:18:00 PM »
Thats true, but much like Zone alarm you need to go into registry to remove all NAV keys to get rid of that hog and its hold on your comp, or youll have services running in background on it.

Ive had much trouble with ZA and NAV, they try to take hostage of your comp...and aol also...all three of them are evil....

« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 03:19:20 PM by Datagg »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 03:23:36 PM »
Correct. You may want to have a look at Technical's article on how to uninstall Norton for real: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=2201;start=msg15466#msg15466

:)

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Tipton

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 04:08:34 PM »
I made the mistake of installing Avast for the first time with Norton still on my system. It also locked my system up tight. Always best to remove other AV software beforehand.

Datagg, I use Zone Alarm as my firewall, and have for a long time. It is what I recommend to anyone that is new to firewalls. It is easy to set up, and co-exists very well with all other software.  :)

Douglas

Datagg

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 04:18:43 PM »
Im glad you have had good luck with it, i and others I know have had major troubles with it. Being as though i build and troubleshoot computers i have noticed a trend on this also, its a toss up between ZA and AOL, the 2 most problem makers i have come across.

word to the wise though,  dont ever try another firewall on ur comp,  Zone Labs doesnt like you to leave them.

Good Day
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 04:20:46 PM by Datagg »

bobwilley

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 02:55:51 AM »
I just experienced teh same exact problem as you.
My system will not come completely up.
I am about to try to boot in Safe Mode and do a System Restore (if possible) then uninstall Avast and start over.
Not good, as I have lost approx. 3.5 hours already tonight,
and all because I wanted a better virus program...    ??? :( :'(

Tipton

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 03:28:49 AM »
Im glad you have had good luck with it, i and others I know have had major troubles with it. Being as though i build and troubleshoot computers i have noticed a trend on this also, its a toss up between ZA and AOL, the 2 most problem makers i have come across.

word to the wise though,  dont ever try another firewall on ur comp,  Zone Labs doesnt like you to leave them.

Good Day

Yes I also build and trouble shoot computers, and install zone alarm on many PC's without issues. The key is being smarter than the computer! Thats why I use imaging software, it gives me complete control.  You should try it!   ;)

Good day!

Douglas

gstime

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2004, 06:06:55 AM »
By imaging software, do you mean a program that takes a "snapshot" of your whole system so as to restore to previous state if you have a problem? Can you recommend a good one. I tried McAfee Image some time ago, but it seemed to cause more problems than it solved.

Tipton

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2004, 06:24:06 AM »
By imaging software, do you mean a program that takes a "snapshot" of your whole system so as to restore to previous state if you have a problem? Can you recommend a good one. I tried McAfee Image some time ago, but it seemed to cause more problems than it solved.

I use Norton ghost.

Douglas