Author Topic: not in the options  (Read 10712 times)

asker

not in the options
« on: January 15, 2007, 06:15:47 AM »
I am kind of confused/pissed of.
Before coming here i already have read the help files and faq (rarely ever done this).
The problem is that i am trying to run some programs and it is telling me they are adware ,but they aren't.From the options i have chest,delete,rename,close the warning by pressing x (closing the window), and another one,i cant remember.
Now what i want to do is just run those damn programs and not have warnings after that,for those programs only though,not for the whole system.

If anyone could help me,i would be really in big debt.
Many thanks

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
Re: not in the options
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 06:22:29 AM »
Welcome to the Avast forum asker have you tried this

"Exclusions" Page

avast! makes it possible to exclude some areas, or even single files, from testing; it means that avast! will not search for viruses there. It may be useful in several cases:

Avoiding false alarms. If avast! reports a virus infection in a file and you are sure that it is a false alarm, you can exclude the file from testing and avoid further false alarms this way. However, it would be nice of you to send us such a file so that we could fix the problem.
Speeding up the processing. If you have a directory on your hard disk that contains images only, for example, you can exclude it from testing by adding it to the exclusions list, and thus reduce the time spent on scanning the files.
It is important to keep in mind that these exclusions affect all tasks, except for the resident protection. If you want to set the exclusion for a single task only, you have to edit the particular task.

Settings

Add. Adds an empty item to the list where you can write the folder or file to be excluded. If you want to select a folder including all its subfolders, it is necessary to append "\*", e.g. "C:\Windows\*".
Remove. Removes selected folder or file from the exclusions list.
Browse. An Explorer-like window will open; here you can select the desired folder or file, without having to type the whole path

Hope this helps ;)
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

asker

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 06:37:39 AM »
Damn man ,you are better than those customer service of multi million $ companies.
One of the programs is Cain.exe (network tool),another one is *don't trust anyone.Sorry.
I added the cain.exe file but windows is telling me it cannot acess the specified device,path ....
I previously scanned the icon and warning came up.Now it doesn't have its own icon any more,just an ugly one.
I want my Cain back  :'(

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 06:46:19 AM »
Damn man ,you are better than those customer service of multi million $ companies.
One of the programs is Cain.exe (network tool),another one is *don't trust anyone.Sorry.
I added the cain.exe file but windows is telling me it cannot acess the specified device,path ....
I previously scanned the icon and warning came up.Now it doesn't have its own icon any more,just an ugly one.
I want my Cain back  :'(
caining can be hazardous to the health!? Sorry know very little about Cain, however resetting it's icon should be quite easy?  Isn't cain a hacking tool?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 06:50:30 AM by tednelly »
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

asker

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 06:54:40 AM »
No,i don't think its a bad tool.It does a lot of god stuff,network monitoring actually,i think.I really have to read its manual to learn how to use it.
I still cant make it work though.The warning from windows still pops up.

Thanks for your devotion.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 07:30:27 AM »

I previously scanned the icon and warning came up.

What did you do when the warning came up? Move to the chest, delete??

Where in exclutions did you add the file?

asker

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 05:06:15 PM »
I pressed the no action a couple f times,hoping it would let me work with the file, some other times i just closed the avast warning window and that's when the windows warning comes out.

I have moved the file to chest now by using : Program set>Exclusion and i find the file.I included the shortcut on the desktop and the program at the real location ,program files >cain>cain.exe ,but still i can't make stuff work unless i turn off avast,which is TOTALLY unacceptable. We live in an evil environment

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 05:31:56 PM »
I pressed the no action a couple f times,hoping it would let me work with the file, some other times i just closed the avast warning window and that's when the windows warning comes out.
No action is no action  ::)

I have moved the file to chest now by using : Program set>Exclusion and i find the file.I included the shortcut on the desktop and the program at the real location ,program files >cain>cain.exe ,but still i can't make stuff work unless i turn off avast,which is TOTALLY unacceptable. We live in an evil environment
On contrary as far I can understand.
It TOTALLY unacceptable that an antivirus allows an infected file to be run, executed, moved, etc.
If the file is a false positive, you must add it to two exclusion lists (on-access and on-demand scannings).
The best things in life are free.

asker

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 05:43:19 PM »
How can I add the file in the two exclusions?

mouniernetwork

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 06:26:48 PM »
Maybe you could send it to Alwil so that they can fix the false detection  ;)
Just thing you could do to thank them for having Avast 4, an excelent product free of charge  :)

Al968

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 06:48:13 PM »
How can I add the file in the two exclusions?

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demmand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.

asker

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 08:45:03 PM »

For the other providers (on-demmand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.

That's what i have done so far and yet I have been  unsuccessful. It is still not letting me use the program.I did a restart and now it has its old icon back  ;D, meanwhile the other program did really had a virus or infection,i got a good version.SWEET.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 09:37:11 PM »
meanwhile the other program did really had a virus or infection,i got a good version.SWEET.
If you were running an infected program, you should never add it to the Exclusions lists  :P
I`d like to suggest you to run a full avast scanning (and possibly other antitrojan tools) in order to know if your computer is clean...  ;)

asker

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 02:42:44 AM »
Cain is not infected,it just comes like that,and it says that by itself.Avast says its just a tool.I just had my ps formated a couple of days ago,never had any dangerous infection in almost 1 year.

The problem is that even though i include Cain at Exclusions ,Avast keeps blocking me from using it.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 03:04:32 AM »
If you show us exactly what you have entered, perhaps we can check why it didn't work ?

By blocking do you mean it alerts ?
If so what file name and is that the same file you are excluding ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security