Author Topic: Add Security Exception  (Read 2676 times)

Offline mallomar

Add Security Exception
« on: April 15, 2021, 03:26:17 AM »
I'm using the free version of Avast. Windows 10, if that matters.

I went to check my emails today (I use Thunderbird) and got this popup:

Add Security Exception

You are about to override how Thunderbird identifies this site.

Legitimate banks, stores, and other public sites will not ask you to do this.

Local: [my web/email host)    "Get Certificate" button

Certificate Status
This site attempts to identify itself with invalid information.  "View" button (shows email host info)

Wrong Site

The certificate belongs to a different site, which could mean that someone is trying to impersonate this site

Checked box labeled "Permanently store this exception"

Confirm Security Exception button

No matter what I try (Get Certificate, Permanently store this exception, Confirm Security Exception), I can't get out of this. The popup will not go away. As a result, I can't access my email.

I am an old person with very limited computer talents. I have no idea what to do. Can someone please tell me exactly how to fix this problem?

Thanks.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Add Security Exception
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 03:36:43 AM »
Is the error you are getting related to invalid email certificate ?

If so check out this article - https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/Troubleshoot-invalid-email-certificate/

Does that help  ?
If not can you attach a screenshot of the warning that you are getting.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mallomar

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 03:33:30 AM »
Thanks for your response.

I went back into Thunderbird to take screenshots, and went through my previous routine of clicking on options, none of which make the popup go away. I took a couple of screenshots (attached) and after I did that, the popup disappeared.

I'm perplexed, because I didn't actually change anything. I still want to know what was going on, in case it happens again. Maybe you can enlighten me by seeing the screenshots. I did look at the linked article you gave me about the invalid email certificate, so maybe I still need to do something to prevent the popup from tormenting me again.

Thanks.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 03:59:25 AM »
The requirement for the certificate, is because the Avast Mail Scanner acts as a middle man to retrieve your emails so they can be scanned before they end up in your inbox.  This would prevent emails being opened that hadn't been scanned first.

From what you have done it doesn't look like you have first exported the certificate from Avast as in the first part of that link I gave.

First Stage - Export the Mail Shield certificate from Avast Antivirus
Second Stage - Import it into Thunderbird - Import the Mail Shield certificate into your mail client

I use Thunderbird as my default email and that is how I imported my security certificate -I also use the secure POP3 port 995.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mallomar

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 08:29:37 AM »
Thanks! I didn't do the export thing before, because I wasn't sure I still needed to do it.

I followed the instructions and think I got it done correctly. I guess I'll find out in the next few days, LOL.

I've used Thunderbird forever. If I remember correctly, Thunderbird replaced Eudora. I definitely used Eudora. Those were simpler times. Anyway, I've been happy with Thunderbird, although sometimes that All Folders panel seems to disappear, and I'm lost without it. (I can never remember how to fix it, but I bungle my way through it.) I particularly like being able to use Thunderbird's filters for the incoming.

Thanks again for your patience and your help. I would never have figured this out on my own.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 12:49:28 PM »
You're welcome.

I think this is what you are looking for:
Click the three bars to get to settings > click View > click Folders > select All

Offline vic

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 07:42:13 PM »
Hi, I am using free avast on Windows 10 with Thunderbird.  Same problem as O.P., however, the solutions provided do not quite work because my Avast interface is not the same.  I can't locate the old 'Mail Shield' but I did find Email Guardian, but there does not seem to be a way to correct the certificate error, as described in earlier responses.  Also, I read somewhere that I might be able to change the interface or skin back to the original, but I don't see how to do that either.  This all just started a week or two ago, so I'm thinking maybe a recent update to Avast One may have created the error.  No matter how many times I choose to 'remember security exception' the next time I open T-bird it happens again.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 08:22:07 PM »
You would appear to be using Avast One Essentials (free), as Email Guardian (is the name for Mail Shield in Avast Free), if that is correct ?
That said the name is likely to change in Avast Free.

If you are using Avast One Essentials (free).
Then you need to post in the Avast One sub-forum, https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=126.0 .

There may even be a related topic there.

You will notice we use a lot of screenshots as it helps us to help you, and would be likely to conform what Avast program you are using.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 08:24:21 PM by DavidR »