Author Topic: Slows down with email delete  (Read 4781 times)

homersheineken

Slows down with email delete
« on: January 15, 2007, 10:40:07 PM »
When i try to delete an email in thunderbird, it takes literally 15 seconds.  It also takes a long time for messages to load.  i notice that Avast takes up 50% of my processor, consistenty.  sometimes is takes up closer to 100%.  It freezes my system for a few seconds. 

I don't think its my system specs 3.1ghz MT, 2gb ram. 

Any help?
Thanks

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
Re: Slows down with email delete
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 10:47:10 PM »
give us some further information so we can help u..what is your OS?are u using a firewall and if yes which one?do u have any other antivirus running and which was ur previous antivirus?some antivirus have conflicts with avast and u must completely remove them..have u tried to repair avast or reinstall it?
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

homersheineken

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 11:37:09 PM »
Sure.
I'm running XP SP2 just using the windows firewall.  I did have AVG installed but I uninstalled it and I'm still exp'ing problems.  I didn't try to uninstall since I just installed it today ;)  Not sure how to repair it. 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 12:54:21 AM »
As Alan famously says, 'you need to regularly compress your folders' as the files aren't deleted until you compress the folders, just the record of that email gets deleted at first.

Don't store all your email in the Inbox it gets huge (it is also the one most regularly corrupted or deleted) that contributes to the time it takes to be scanned by avast as the file is being edited.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

homersheineken

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 01:19:39 AM »
I do regularly compact my folders.  I can't constantly be spending time clearing out my inbox. I get 700 emails a day.  I try to clean it up once a day but I can't conitnually do that...  I don't need it scan every email as I open it (doesn't it scan them as they come in?)

Also, when i try to even view a message it takes a bit of time and moves Thunderbird from being the program in front to something else.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 01:21:32 AM by homersheineken »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 01:23:26 AM »
I do regularly compact my folders.  I can't constantly be spending time clearing out my inbox. I get 700 emails a day.  I try to clean it up once a day but I can't conitnually do that...  I don't need it scan every email as I open it (doesn't it scan them as they come in?)
Remove the option to scan every open/changed file in the Standard Shield module setting is a way to do so.
Well, it will affect all opened/changed files as well.
The best things in life are free.

homersheineken

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 01:30:06 AM »
Remove the option to scan every open/changed file in the Standard Shield module setting is a way to do so.
Well, it will affect all opened/changed files as well.

Wow that was quick :)  Thanks for the prompt reply and help.  that speeds it up considerably. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 01:32:03 AM »
Wow that was quick :)
Be used to avast forum speed  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 03:27:30 AM »
If you get 700 messages a day I would expect that you would have written some filters to help you manage it.   

I also use an extension called Xpunge that automates trash folder emptying and general folder compaction.  There does seem to be an ongoing problem in Thunderbird with trash folders not getting emptied even if they are set to be emptied on exit.  Well worth checking them manually from time to time (or turning on the columns in the Folders pane and having the folder size shown to remind you).