Author Topic: Avast 7 free Run time Problem.  (Read 2052 times)

standeb

Avast 7 free Run time Problem.
« on: July 11, 2012, 07:04:04 PM »
Hello All,

I still run Windows XP.,  SP3..

I had a clean install done to my system 2 days ago. I immediately downloaded, installed and registered the program. I did my first full scan today but was forced to abort the scan by reason of the inordinate length of time Avast was taking to complete the scan. I appreciate that a full scan  is slower and more thorough but 8+ hours is a little ridiculous. Wouldn't you agree? Listed hereunder is the record just prior to aborting the scan:-

Run Time:  8:17:33
Speed:-  4.5 MB per second.
Tested Files and Folders:  304630/26796
Data tested:   127.8 GB.

I run a Seagate 500 GB Hard Drive and Seagate 500 GB External Drive.

I had this problem with version 6 when I installed it last year. Can you assist me in rectifying this problem.

Thanking you for your kind consideration.

standeb.

Hellion

Re: Avast 7 free Run time Problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 04:59:38 PM »
Hi Standeb,

I'm just a forum user here.

I'm assuming you are using the default settings for a full scan?

Certain file types and archives might take a long time to scan.

You can edit a scan by opening the avast interface -> scan computer -> scan now and then say "more details" - > settings.

Go to the "performance" tab and set the priority to max, tick the persistent cache option and untick the store data in persistent cache option.

See if there is an improvement.

standeb

Re: Avast 7 free Run time Problem.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 12:24:57 AM »
Hello Hellion,

OMG! I just saw your reply, Thank you so much for the same. Pressure of work and other committments had taken my attention away from this question hence I am now signing in on it.

I am using the default setting asw you assumed. I shall comply with your suggestion, observe what takes place and post back in about 48 hours.

Thank you again.

standeb.