Author Topic: COM/ActiveX programming interface available?  (Read 3896 times)

ChaosUnlimited

COM/ActiveX programming interface available?
« on: January 17, 2007, 08:11:02 AM »
I'm working on a website that supports user-uploaded files.  I want to virus scan these files before any file processing or making them available to website visitors.  Is there a COM/ActiveX programming interface available to developers for Avast Server Edition?

I should be able to write the code using the command line interface and scheduled batch processes but that's a bit clunkier than COM.  I thought I would ask before I head down that path.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: COM/ActiveX programming interface available?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 10:24:34 AM »
No, I'm afraid no such interface is available.
You can become an OEM partner though - and use the engine directly on DLL level ;)

ChaosUnlimited

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 10:12:44 PM »
Since this is for a single site I don't think there's much value to Alwil in me becoming an OEM partner.  (It sounds expensive too. ;)   We won't be reselling anything.  This is purely for use within a few websites that handle user submitted files.   I have a working proof of concept at the moment using the command line scanner as a wsh.exec process.  It works but I'll need to stress test it to see how many files it can handle per minute under load.  Launching an out-of-process task is quite expensive in terms of processor cycles.

Just out of curiosity, what's involved in becomming an OEM partner.

BTW, I decided to use Avast in my application because I am a SurgeMail customer and I am very happy with the OEM implementation of Avast in SurgeMail.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 10:02:04 AM »
Honestly I don't know (what's involved)... I guess the licensing is individual.
But yes, it's meant for somebody selling their own product with antivirus scanning capabilities.