Author Topic: Win 98 support - how much longer?  (Read 3582 times)

debid

Win 98 support - how much longer?
« on: January 17, 2007, 06:58:40 PM »
I'm trying to find an antivirus solution to my company's 30 remaining Windows 98 computers.  The only thing I can locate on the Avast.com website is that, currently, Win95 and Win98 are supported.

For how much longer will that be the case?  I don't want to purchase 30 licenses today only to find out that they'll cease to be supported in July.  I'd like to think we could get another year of use out of these computers since they serve our purposes, but I can't keep them on my network without antivirus protection.

So.... I'm considering 30 subscriptions to the Pro edition..... but would like to know if Avast has published a date when they'll cease to support Win98.

Thanks!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Win 98 support - how much longer?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 07:04:16 PM »
For how much longer will that be the case?
As far I know, only new features won't be implemented to Windows 9x.
avast should still be compatible to Windows 98 a long time.
Judging by Windows 95 support, well, we have 12 years since then and avast supports it  8)

I don't want to purchase 30 licenses today only to find out that they'll cease to be supported in July.  I'd like to think we could get another year of use out of these computers since they serve our purposes, but I can't keep them on my network without antivirus protection.
So.... I'm considering 30 subscriptions to the Pro edition..... but would like to know if Avast has published a date when they'll cease to support Win98.
Send an email to sales @ avast.com and you'll get a direct answer.
Most probably, you can buy it without worry  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 07:18:39 PM »
There's no date set to drop Win9x support (i.e. there are currently no plans to do so) - so it should be supported for a few years from now.
As Tech said, new features are likely to be added for NT platform only though (at least features that are not easily portable to Win9x - e.g. those requiring special drivers).

However, I suggest to try avast! on your machines first (before buying) to make sure it works well there. Windows 9x are quite an obsolete system and some problems with resource-usage might possibly occur.

If you have 30 machines, you can install managed clients (instead of the "standalone" Professional version) on them and manage them remotely through ADNM.

debid

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 02:49:47 AM »
Thanks so much.... that gives me some hope that at least I'll be able to keep these things up and running for a while..... even a year will be a huge help... I've dropped an email to info@avast.com in hopes that I'll get a definitive answer.... but I feel better with this information already.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 03:08:51 AM »
It may possibly be better to send an email to sales@avast.com.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 04:51:22 AM »
 igor is part of the Avast development team so his word should be all you need ;)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay