Author Topic: Realtime running AntispywareProg Free.  (Read 11610 times)

Cactusjack

Realtime running AntispywareProg Free.
« on: January 17, 2007, 09:48:40 PM »
 ???I am looking for a good Realtime running Antispyware Program.
I looking a long time for a Free Version.
And the most are not realtime .
I have try one,SpywareTerminator. but this product is not very good.
Olso this program blokking Updates,en other usuel things.
And the rest are all paying programs .
So i ask this Forum or Moderators,witch program is realtime running,andFree!!!!!
And ofcourse good running whit AVAST.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Realtime running AntispywareProg Free.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 10:29:32 PM »
I am looking for a good Realtime running Antispyware Program.
The only-one besides SpywareTerminator for free is TeaTimer from SpyBot, as far I know. Oh, Windows Defender will be another one.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 10:34:52 PM »
I don't use a real-time AS and use avg-as and just do weekly scans.

I also tried ST and it lasted less than a fortnight before I uninstalled it. I also tried SUPERantispyware which didn't last long either, I can't recall if it was just on-demand or on-access also.

I didn't think there were many freeware anti-spyware programs with resident protection, http://www.google.com/search?q=freeware+anti-spyware+resident.

http://wiki.castlecops.com/Lists_of_freeware_antispyware
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 11:16:31 PM »
I am running Windows Defender and have had no issues between it and avast and no problems with it at all. 

Tech has some concerns about Windows Defender - the one I completely agree with him on is the infrequency of updates and Tech reports that it does not do well in comparative studies. 

Windows Defender has never found anything on my system - but has not given me any false positives either.  avast has never found anything on my system either - but it has given me a few false positives too.   

Cactusjack

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 11:34:52 PM »
I am running Windows Defender and have had no issues between it and avast and no problems with it at all. 

Tech has some concerns about Windows Defender - the one I completely agree with him on is the infrequency of updates and Tech reports that it does not do well in comparative studies. 

Windows Defender has never found anything on my system - but has not given me any false positives either.  avast has never found anything on my system either - but it has given me a few false positives too.   
;D Defender is not good,it is a dissaster. Update good,but Defender
does nothing for me.So allanrf i agree whit you.

Cactusjack

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 11:40:16 PM »
I am looking for a good Realtime running Antispyware Program.
The only-one besides SpywareTerminator for free is TeaTimer from SpyBot, as far I know. Oh, Windows Defender will be another one.
O i am forgotten one program. SpyCatcher, but very Agessif. no not me choise.
But TeaTimer do i not try,so thats 1 program.
Thank you Tech. ;D

Cactusjack

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 11:47:51 PM »
I don't use a real-time AS and use avg-as and just do weekly scans.

I also tried ST and it lasted less than a fortnight before I uninstalled it. I also tried SUPERantispyware which didn't last long either, I can't recall if it was just on-demand or on-access also.

I didn't think there were many freeware anti-spyware programs with resident protection, http://www.google.com/search?q=freeware+anti-spyware+resident.

http://wiki.castlecops.com/Lists_of_freeware_antispyware
O boy thats a lot to read,but i see many who are stand alone scanners,
and the realtimers cost money. SuperantiSpyware pro is not free, but who knows
there is somthing for me.MajorGeeks. CastleCops, I have work to do. thank you.

Cactusjack

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 12:02:36 AM »
Tech: I have a warning about a program what i see at the
bottom of your comment.
I saw Advanced Windows Care from IOBIT.com
I have the new version trying 3 times, and IF you use SpywareBlaster,
then there is a problem,whit the item Antispyware.
Afternoon today running this program 4hours,and AdAware Personal SE
Found 20 infections,And i look to Spyblaster and there are 3500 items not
working. I found this a dangares program.
Do not use this Advanced windows Care.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 12:06:22 AM »
I recommend  a layered real-time protection of four programs: SpywareBlaster; SpywareGuard; WinPatrol & Windows Defender.

Turn off BHO protection in SpywareGuard as WinPatrol has that.  It won't hurt if you don't though you will get two sets of pop-ups if you don't.  SpywareGuard hasn't been updated since 2004, but it has heuristics detection.

For on demand scanning I recommend Spybot S&D and ewido/AVG AS Freeware.

avast! has some spyware protection.

If you take my recommendation you will find your system malware free.

All of these are FREE!  :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 12:27:42 AM by rdmaloyjr »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 12:16:07 AM »
In case nobody hasn't noticed, this thread should be in General Topics.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 12:19:53 AM »
Like anything in life these things are often a compromise, I don't fee that I'm particularly vulnerable to this type of attack so I'm happy enough with an on-demand anti-spyware.

You can take proactive action to prevent or limit infection, I use firefox with the no_script and DrWeb link checker extensions. I don't open unknown email attachments or click links in said emails. Any program that has internet access I run under DropMyRights (see signature) to help prevent/limit infection getting established. So even without resident AS protection you are fairly well protected.

If you want you could install a HIPS type program that should add another level of protection CyberHawk gets a reasonable review.

But above all else have a backup and recovery plan for when the dark and stick stuff hits the fan, backup the stuff you don't want to lose every day. A disk imaging program (most good ones cost but you don't have to renew each year) can take an exact copy of your HDD in minutes.

Take a weekly image and if you get into trouble that is likely to take some time to resolve, I usually opt to restore my last image, about 10-15 minutes tops, then restore the last daily backup. So if the worst come the max you can lose is 6 days of program updates/installs and 1 days worth of data files, emails, docs, bookmarks, address book, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

joeloucyn

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 12:26:11 AM »
Cyberhawk is a very good antispyware and also an excellent supplementary program to avast! It is free but initially installs as trial of the professional version.
http://www.novatix.com/

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 01:30:49 AM »
Tech: I have a warning about a program what i see at the bottom of your comment. I saw Advanced Windows Care from IOBIT.com
I have the new version trying 3 times, and IF you use SpywareBlaster, then there is a problem,whit the item Antispyware. Afternoon today running this program 4hours,and AdAware Personal SE Found 20 infections
Well... without the file names and paths it will difficult to say. The Advanced Windows Care is not a spyware and the free version hasn't a resident guard.
So, even using it, it does not explain why are you so infected.

And i look to Spyblaster and there are 3500 items not working. I found this a dangares program.
Spybot and SpywareBlaster could have 'conflicts' with immunization. These programs could remove the immunization of each other.
Other program, with a very huge database called IE-Spy (http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm) could have with problems with Spybot and SpywareBlaster.

Look here:
There is a post http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=9671.msg212999#msg212999
MVPS is a well-known application. But it will occasionally disable other items.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 01:33:48 AM »
I recommend  a layered real-time protection of four programs: SpywareBlaster; SpywareGuard; WinPatrol & Windows Defender.
WinPatrol has a very relative antispyware function (only behavior blocker, not signatures).
SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are immunizators as far I know.
Windows Defender is a real-time protection.

SpywareGuard hasn't been updated since 2004, but it has heuristics detection.
I can't believe heuristics from 2004 are that powerful  ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 01:35:17 AM »
Like anything in life these things are often a compromise, I don't fee that I'm particularly vulnerable to this type of attack so I'm happy enough with an on-demand anti-spyware.
Safe browsing is the best antispyware we have...

If you want you could install a HIPS type program that should add another level of protection CyberHawk gets a reasonable review.
I'm not sure HIPS is the same protection as an antispyware... I need to learn more...