Author Topic: Realtime running AntispywareProg Free.  (Read 11609 times)

mauserme

Re: Realtime running AntispywareProg Free.
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 02:14:31 AM »
Spybot and SpywareBlaster could have 'conflicts' with immunization. These programs could remove the immunization of each other.
Other program, with a very huge database called IE-Spy (http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm) could have with problems with Spybot and SpywareBlaster.

So which is best?   SpywareBlaster claims "7902 items in database" (including blocked sites and cookies) as of the last update while Spybot S&D claims something like 18,000 immunizations.  But can we go strictly by the numbers or is this just a difference in the way things are counted?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 02:35:31 AM »
Well, it isn't the same as anti-spyware, I didn't say it was, if you don't have a resident anti-spyware HIPS can offer additional protection to an on-demand AS.

It offers similar protection to anti-spyware but doesn't use signatures (in this case) but looking at behaviour, etc.

Host Intrusion Protection Software, basically it is trying to stop attacks on your system such as process injection, monitoring changes to the system that under certain circumstances are suspicious or possibly malicious.

The http://www.novatix.com/ site has this link to a pdf report on HIPS programs by av-comparatives, http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/HIPS-BB-SB.pdf, it makes interesting reading.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Cactusjack

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 10:28:47 AM »
It is a fantastic Topic i see. So many people reacting on me question.
Thanks a lot for this. I have many to read and try what are the best in
combination whit Avast and The Kerio Firewall.
Here in me Country says experts that de Comodo Firewall is better,but
i Trust The Kerio,and is very clear to understand.
Before i going to work whit all this links and programs, there is one thing
that i must tell to Tech:
Tech: Before i did the Download of Advanced Windows Care from Cnet,
did i read the warning about the point of use the SpywareFunction in this
Program.IF somebody use SpywareBlaster or Spybot Searh&Destroy, then
must you the item Spyware turnoff.
So i did,and i try this 3 times.No its make no different on or off.
And every time i used AVG Antispyware trial and then you can see the BHO"s
of me brouwser,and what is the result? Infected and even the Adobe help.
So i used the HijackThis for the real results.
And no doubt, so i do never install AdvancedwindowsCare annymore.
That is what i learn of trying this program. Ofcourse All in One and Handy
for the user. But mij stand alone Spyware programs say somethingels.

DFXBB

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 12:41:43 PM »
I am using avast!, WinPatrol and Cyberhawk now. They works well on my computer.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 03:51:52 PM »
But can we go strictly by the numbers or is this just a difference in the way things are counted?
I think both... they count different, for merchandising and for technical reasons.

I'll need a technical comparison to judge correctly which is allowing better protection.
The best things in life are free.

martosurf

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 06:47:14 PM »
Any program that has internet access I run under DropMyRights (see signature) to help prevent/limit infection getting established. So even without resident AS protection you are fairly well protected.

Hello DavidR,

Can you tell me please how you exactly use DropMyRights? - may be this make you laugh a little but I find somewhat difficult to make it work right with IE6 and Outlook 2007... mind you pass me an example command line argument that should run with the browser, mail program or any given application for the case?

Thanx in advance!!

One more thing to you people out there looking for a nice HIPS, have you tried GhostSecurity (formerly AppDefend and RegDefend)? It's a pretty nice application, lighter than anything known -really- and they also have a freeware version.

martosurf

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 06:50:55 PM »
mind you pass me an example command line argument that should run with the browser, mail program or any given application for the case?  <-- very sorry, LOL  :o

I think it should say "for instance", lol... this happens with you think in spanish but writes in english  ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 08:43:01 PM »
There is an example on the link in my signature, I suggest you print of the page and use it for reference.

Quote from: DavidR
The target location in the alternative shortcut would look something like this - C:\DMR\DropMyRights.exe "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe". What this is doing is calling the DropMyRights.exe, which launches the program with restricted rights.

On this page there is a link to the Microsoft Page about it which includes images on how to set it up, which you could also print.

You could also convert the various pages using an on-line translation like http://babelfish.altavista.com/ if that make it easier to understand. However, these on-line services often don't convert the grammar very well.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

martosurf

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 04:20:20 AM »
Thank you very much for the help :D , I'd like to bother you with two last questions:

1. Please tell me if I'm wrong or miss something: DropMyRights downgrades administrative accounts -well, actually I guess it 'isolates' applications- to mere limited user accounts so, when a virus or any malware gets to the computer it can't access any data on the system because limited users just can't access any data not belonging to them.
When the host application quits, any malware data dies with it.

2. Usually I browse webpages with Opera but I set default browser to Firefox 2. Is there any way to add DropMyRigths to Firefox, being it the default browser???

Thanx in advance for your help, time and patience and please write your answer with confidence: I luckily read english far more easy and good than write it :-D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 12:45:28 PM »
When the host application quits, any malware data dies with it.
Most probably... but what is dies here? Temporary files could be there... The Administrator could 'use' that files and the problem appears, as the Administrator has fully access to computer (specially common users files). But, ok, generally, the files can't harm your system.

2. Usually I browse webpages with Opera but I set default browser to Firefox 2. Is there any way to add DropMyRigths to Firefox, being it the default browser???
If you start Firefox from a link to DropMyRigths no problem. If you click a link into an email, for instance, the default browser will start without DropMyRigths. The problem is what starts the browser? A link to DropMyRigths or a system link being Firefox the default browser. Did I make myself enough clear?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 02:55:10 PM »
@ martosurf
1. DMR only downgrades application permissions not the Users overall account permission, DMR as its name implies drops the rights of a user with Administrator rights to that of a limited user, only for that program, browser, email, etc.

It doesn't isolate it like in a sand box the programs runs as normal but if it tries to do something that requires administrator rights (like creating registry entries and placing files in system folders) it can't because it is effectively run under limited rights.

There is nothing to stop it doing anything that doesn't require admin rights and looking at data, so if under normal circumstances you can't look at another users data, but there is nothing to stop a limited user looking at 'his' own data. So you have to have your firewall protect against unauthorised outbound connections.

When you quit the (host) program run under DMR the only thing that dies is the browser, etc. any malware downloaded would still be there but it wouldn't have been able to create registry entries and place files in the system folders. This as I have said greatly reduces the potential for damage as the file/s won't be in the system folders and there are no registry entries to run the programs on boot, etc.

That is why you need to have multi-application protection and periodically run on-demand scans with them to remove that dormant malware, avast, anti-spyware/adware programs, etc.

2. DMR only works if you use the shortcut to launch the program if something else launches it like a link in the a program, settings, help file, etc, it launches the default browser directly (in some it may launch IE not the default browser) and not the link you have to run the program under DMR.

This is important to remember as that wouldn't be run at a limited rights, if you already have the Browser running using DMR any links would open in that and now open the full rights browser.

martosurf

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 05:47:25 PM »
Guys, you rock! I was just to reply to Tech but after so detailed help you posted DavedR I have only one word for you both: THANKS.

It's all much more clear now  8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2007, 05:58:01 PM »
Your welcome.

Cactusjack

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2007, 09:30:13 PM »
The latest discussion are a little beside me question. But i have tested
and tested. I found here not what i searh. So to Windowsmarketplace.
I have tryed.SpyCatcher Express,and no me choise!
EndTaskPro(free)
Zero Spyware Free Edition.
Wincleaner AntiSpyware. (Warning)
Defender,test i bevore (1Year)
SuperAntiSpyware Pro(these can i try after a restoirpoint)
WinPatrol
Spyware Terminator.
And a other one But i lost the name.
The First 4 are the new generation realtimers,and running the hole time.
But,they works like a firewall. Every hour a few times,must jou click Yes or No.
No this is not nicely to work.
But i warning you,DO NOT INSTALL, WINCLEANER Antyspyware!!!
I read a comment on a Forum,This Program can you not remove!!!
And it is really the truth. Only the fact that i discover a weak point in
Windows XP and against the rules olso,well this helping me this program
to remove,and it cost me 4 hours.
And when this program are running,well its not to believe,that this thing
cut off your internet connection.
No i must further for searhing,becourse i found the best
Spyware Terminator,but not good enough.
But i have a discovery. A little program for your registry.
The name:Free Window Registry Repair. from Regsofts Software.
He discovered more than 1000 empty or wrong Keys.
And i did it.Whay? This program got 4 times 5 stars on market place.
Result? All clean,and all the thing keep working. Its a question of trusth!!!

Glass

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007, 06:09:07 PM »

I have try one,SpywareTerminator. but this product is not very good.
Olso this program blokking Updates,en other usuel things.

Can I ask u why u thing this is not good?