Author Topic: Can't shutdown WinXP  (Read 10731 times)

fuji_m

Can't shutdown WinXP
« on: January 18, 2007, 01:55:36 AM »
Sometimes(not always), I can't shutdown immediately Windows XP since install avast V4.7 Home edition.

This situation is reported by several users at internet sites such as MS forum(Japanese).

Some guys guess that avast's resident protection brings any insufficient course against windos XP shotdown process with any specific PC environment.
As I mentioned, it's happened not always.

Has this problem already handled by develop team?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Can't shutdown WinXP
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 03:04:42 PM »
No, I'm not aware of this problem. A few questions:

- What exactly does it mean, "can't shutdown immediatelly"? Does it just take longer (how much?) to shutdown, or is it impossible to shutdown at all? Do any window appear during that time?
- How often does the problem occur? (approximatelly - once in 2 shutdowns, or once in 10 shutdowns?)
- Would it help if you stopped avast! resident protection before shuting down?
- Are there any suspicious records in Windows Event Log?

fuji_m

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 05:41:34 PM »
Hi igor, I would like to explain in detail for your questions.

At first, my PC environment is as below.
Windows XP Professional SP2, Multi boot system by Main WinXP and Sub WinXP.
M/B: ASUS P5B, Core2 Duo E6400, 2GB RAM, 3 HDDs by SATA, DVD/CD device, FD, CF reader by USB2,
No PCI expansion card, USB Mouse, USB Keyboard

Your Questions;
>> What exactly does it mean, "can't shutdown immediately"? Does it just take longer (how much?) to shutdown, or is it impossible to shutdown at all? Do any window appear during that time?

Normally, my PC takes 20 seconds for shutdown process ( from "Please wait...." message to Power off). In case of the problem, it has NEVER been done Power off for ever. At least over 10 minutes I am waiting many times. And then Windows logo and "Now in shut down process" is just keeping. I'm not sure real message in English because my Windows XP is Japanese version. It seams to me that manual scanning of Memory & start up brings the shut down problem especially.

>> How often does the problem occur? (approximatelly - once in 2 shutdowns, or once in 10 shutdowns?)

Today I tried 20 times PC start up/Reset for the testing and investigation. The problem has occurred almost 70-80% under the configuration of resident protection with full service provider such as Standard, Internet, P2P etc.

>> Would it help if you stopped avast! resident protection before shut down?

Yes, windows has normally done "shut down" and Power off under NO service provider of avast.

>> Are there any suspicious records in Windows Event Log?

Sorry, I have no idea of any statistical info on windows result.

By the way, tool which is an application soft make stop avast by force before windows shut down is providing by a special site in Japan in order to avoid this avast's problem. In short, this problem is known as far as I know.

Regards,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 09:43:56 PM »
Normally, my PC takes 20 seconds for shutdown process ( from "Please wait...." message to Power off).
Are there any suspicious records in Windows Event Log?
Sorry, I have no idea of any statistical info on windows result.
Generally, any hanged program (or the system) will left info into Windows Events (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events).
Is there anything interesting there near to the shutdown time?
The best things in life are free.

fuji_m

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 04:40:00 AM »
Thanks for reply.
The followings are actual case of system error as you mentioned.

Type   Time        Source                    event-ID
Info  10:44:11   Service control mgr  7035
Error 10:44:05  Service control mgr  7000 ...(can't start service)
Info  10:43:52   eventlog                  6005 ...(related shutdown)
Info  10:43:52   eventlog                  6009 ...(related shutdown)
Info  10:41:05   eventlog                  6006 ...(related shutdown)
Info  10:41:03   Service control mgr  7035

I think, Error 7000 is not relating to the real cause of the shutdown problem.
Basically System can't save such significant event-info under waiting status to shutdown. Suddenly I just push RESET switch by force.

By the way, it seems that below case doesn't bring the shutdown problem although whole service providers(Network shield, P2P...etc) are enable.

- Disable of memory scan when avast start up, in General setting menu.

Regards,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 11:07:17 AM »
The followings are actual case of system error as you mentioned.
Double click them or right click and choose 'properties'.
I'll need more info about each Event. You can copy&paste the info here.

I think, Error 7000 is not relating to the real cause of the shutdown problem.
If you're sure, just put more info about the 'errors' that you thing are related to shutdown.

J J

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 11:50:53 AM »
I checked my events viewer and found lots of errors and warnings. Which has got me a bit worried. do you think i should take any action.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 12:45:45 PM »
I checked my events viewer and found lots of errors and warnings. Which has got me a bit worried. do you think i should take any action.
Well, most of them should be 'repeated' and correcting once will correct all identical error messages.
Take the ones of the last day, start with the 'error' ones, post the description here. Let's go step by step...

fuji_m

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 12:55:34 PM »
Thanks for reply.

Event ID: 6005
Source: EventLog
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_EventlogStarted

Explanation
This event is written at system startup after the user initiates an expected restart or shutdown by clicking Start or pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then clicking Shut Down.

If the persistent Time Stamp group policy setting is either enabled or not configured, system information is written to the data section of this event. This information includes the name and version of the Windows Server 2003 operating system and the computer's make and model.

If any of the sources for this information are unavailable, or if their contents are unreadable, their corresponding fields display <unknown>.

User Action
No user action is required.

Event ID: 7000
Source: Service Control Manager
Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_FAILED
Message: The %1 service failed to start due to the following error:
%2.

Explanation
Service Control Manager (SCM) could not start the specified service, probably because the service is not configured correctly.

User Action
Do one or all of the following:

Review the error information displayed in the message.
Verify that the service password has not expired.
Verify that the service is in the correct location.
Verify that the service is not infected with a virus.
To display the WIN32_EXIT_CODE error that SCM encountered when trying to start the program, at the command prompt, type
sc query service name
The information displayed can help you troubleshoot possible causes for the error.
If the WIN32_EXIT_CODE is zero, then SCM did not attempt to start the service because the error was detected first.

-----------------  by fuji_m
As you can see, Error-7000 has occurred after info-6005 which is depending on shutdown. and it couldn't start specific service.
As my understanding, error-7000 would not happen if I didn't push RESET switch.

For more detail ;
You can easily access to Microsoft "Events and Errors Message Center"
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/ee_basic.aspx

regards,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 01:16:55 PM »
Event ID: 6005
Source: EventLog
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_EventlogStarted
User Action
No user action is required.
This is just the stat info of the events. No trouble. No help for us. Look: No user action is required.

Event ID: 7000
Source: Service Control Manager
Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_FAILED
User Action Do one or all of the following:

Review the error information displayed in the message.
Verify that the service password has not expired.
Verify that the service is in the correct location.
Verify that the service is not infected with a virus.
Which is the service that is not starting? Which is his name or the name of the executable file (and path)?

As my understanding, error-7000 would not happen if I didn't push RESET switch.
No. Error 7000 is there because a service could not start. Maybe a Windows problem, we need the name of the service...

Dave Cohen

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 11:43:24 PM »
I'm getting this problem. After clicking shutdown, a dialog box is shown with the waiting for program to close dialog and timeout bar.
I forget exact name of process but it's AWIL... or something like that.
You can terminate immediately by clicking the end now box. Not a big problem, just a nuisance.
Dave Cohen

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 12:19:37 AM »
You can refer to this topic http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26423.msg216067#msg216067 and confirm none of these logging off option are enabled.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dave Cohen

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 02:22:09 AM »
It looks as if this problem is a conflict with Zone Alarm. If I shutdown ZA first there is no problem. In any event, clicking end task now in the program shutting down dialog box terminates the AWIL process.
Dave Cohen

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 02:08:25 PM »
If you have identified the conflict precisely if you can describe it perhaps there is something that can be done.

I never shutdown my firewall or avast before using the Windows Start, Turn Off Computer, that process should close all programs and shutdown and I don't have this problem (I use Outpost Pro firewall).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security