Author Topic: Resident protection  (Read 34895 times)

Bobby

Resident protection
« on: April 22, 2003, 03:28:12 PM »
My resident protection is disabled and each time I set it to standard protection it goes back to disabled. Can anyone advise me on this subject. Thank you.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Resident protection
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 06:54:04 PM »
How exactly did you find out that it's not running? By using the Simple User interface [the blue panel]?

What happens if you click on the avast a-ball icon in the tray?

What OS are you using? What version of avast?

Thanks,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Bobby

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 09:26:15 PM »
Hello, thanks for your response. From my simple interface (blue panel) it says disabled. I set my slide to standard and it looks like it is on, but when i close the simple interface, it goes back to disabled. When i point at my icon in the tray, it says three proctectors, two running. I am using the latest home edition. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Bobby

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 09:38:26 PM »
OK, let me guess: if you click the skull icon in the simple user interface (to start the Virus Chest), you get a RPC error. Am I right?

And, you're using Win9x, right?

Bobby

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 10:00:21 PM »
Hello again, yes you are right, when i click on virus chest I get "the rpc server is too busy to complete this operation." I'm not sure of your question reguarding win9x, can you tell me how to find this info for you? Thanking you again.

Bobby

Bobby

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 10:21:01 PM »
I forgot to tell you my "OS" I am running windows 98 S.E.

Amerk_5

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 04:20:07 AM »
What version of avast are you using? I've got W98SE too. I had the same problems when I was using v4.0.183. Everything works in the latest version, v4.0.202.

Have a look at this thread if you're running v4.0.202 & still are having problems. Specifically the parts about Jet & MDAC towards the end of page 1.

http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=157

Bobby

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 04:30:33 AM »
I don't know what i did to fix this problem, after i rebooted it seems to be working now. Thanks for all your help and excellent response.

Bobby

Amerk_5

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 04:36:21 AM »
Your welcome.

Bobby

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2003, 04:52:17 PM »
Morning (it's morning here) when I booted this morning my resident protection was disabled again, I followed your instructions and changed the data/avast4.ini file from odbc to xml and rebooted. It seems like it corrected it so I wanted to give you guys a follow up report. Again I thank you for your support and quick response to my messages. Nice job:)

Bobby

Amerk_5

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2003, 10:54:57 PM »
What version of avast are you using?

When I was using v4.0.183 I had to update both MDAC & Jet and I had to change XML back to ODBC to get it to show the correct status. But even then it was still fussy if I cleaned out my temp folder.

But like I said before, with v4.0.202 and MDAC & Jet updated everything works now.

Bobby

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2003, 01:00:57 AM »
If this keeps up I'm gonna invite you guys over for lunch:) I checked my version and it seems I'm using 4.0.168, does that sound correct?  

Bobby

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2003, 01:39:58 AM »
That's OLD. You should update it! :P

Right click the a-ball icon, and select Updating->Program Update.

The latest version is currently 4.0.202.

Greetings from Redmond, ;)
Vlk

Amerk_5

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2003, 01:50:51 AM »
EDIT: You beat me to it Vlk. Oh well. But my post has more info. ;D

Lunch sounds good but it'll have to be on the weekend. (Too much stuff I have to get done here at college during the week)  ;D

Version 4.0.168 was released back in February. There have been several versions since then (4.0.172, 4.0.183, 4.0.202). I think it's time for an update. ;)  Right click on the blue avast tray icon, select Updating, then click on Program Update & it should DL & install all the files it needs. You might want click on iAVS Update & update your virus database too.

From the simple user interface, under Settings, Update, what circles do you have ticked? I've got DSL so I have mine set to Automatic.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2003, 01:56:16 AM by Amerk_5 »

Bobby

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2003, 02:57:29 AM »
Here we go again:) Everytime i try to update, it tells me I am already up to date. When I click on the blue pop up for the current version, i get a screen that says no proxy, then i click test connection. Nothing happens so I wait several seconds and close the window. It then tells me i have the current version, I tried switching the menu to "use explorer setting" with the same results. OK guys, tell me what I am doing wrong:) Thanks.

Bobby